Blank ranks
  • 106 posts
  • Page 6 of 8
SpamFree wrote:
So, games that exclude those who do not buy rank are the answer?

Not hardly :(

lifeinpixels wrote:
I completely agree with tontot. Seems like that would get more people to buy a rank while not forcing it on those who still prefer the alternative. I think the idea has been floating around here before.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I also like tontot suggestion. That would mean no more discussions about ranks in the middle of a game.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
tramadol wrote:
I like tontot's idea too, not to force out players that don't have rank, but to not have to ask safe friends how many points they have to set min points so they can join a game.
SpamFree wrote:
LOL "safe friends"

I like the custom rank thingy too :)

Not so much, the excluding players.

bluebird005vis wrote:
If a hidden rank is NOT an advantage why do these players swear by it?
It's an unfair advantage because the new players don't know that they are playing a seasoned top player.
Know your enemy indeed, but they can't know their enemy because their rank is hidden.
Hidden ranks = incorrect player ranking.
If that's what you want why have any ranking at all?
What is the point of having rankings if they are not accurate?
Most of these players claim they don't care about rankings or the getting in the top 12 or the D12 torunament.
Well if that's the case why not make so only the top 12 highest ranked players get to play in the D12?
Vexer wrote:
We have considered only including the highest ranked players in the D12 but at the same time we also want to play against the actual best players.

I have an idea that would help new players spot rank hiders. How about we show what point range they are in on their profile. For example:

Vexer
Rank points: 5000+

Dferguson
Rank points: 3500+

MuzuaneAskari
Rank points: 2500+

The reason why I suggest the range instead of actually showing the points is that I personally don't like players watching all my ups and downs. I'm fine with them having a general idea of how many points I have but I don't want them to know that I am about to lose my rank with just one more loss.

Is this a reasonable compromise between those who want your exact number of points shown and those who don't want anything shown?

I'd like to consider responses to this post like a vote.

Matty wrote:
That will solve absolutely nothing.
The only real advantage I see is when playing absolute newbies, and they don't look at profile (otherwise they can just as well see the standings - which is the best way of seeing how good a player is in the first place, beats battle points, skill points and rank icon by far).

If you have to do something about this besides the unranked player, automatically rank 4 ranks ago or something (I don't want ever to have to have the colonel ranks, as I think they are ugly, so 4 is the absolute minimum :))

But seriously, compare it with same time live capital games and all it's glitches, the unranked thing is not unfair at all.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
maafi wrote:
I don't think it will solve anything either.

I think you should auto-rank. Just do it. At least do it with non-premium players. Existing unranked players will soon get used to it and new players will see it as a natural part of the D12 community.

If you want to allow choice, give it to premium players.

For the record, having unranked players doesn't bother me personally. I see that is upsets others though and I don't understand you have the ranks at all when you let people have the choice.

I do like making more stats available for each player: percentage win rates on each map and/or gameplay etc. That would be useful and interesting.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
maafi is online.
Dferguson wrote:
do away with the rank and display the players overall points on the badge.

or do mandatory rank up.
tramadol wrote:
I agree with bluebird005vis and I once heard an unranked player say, "I will take on my rank if I ever get to General"! This does not sound like a player that does not care about rank!

I feel that the staff ought to make a solid decision to make it all ranked or leave it as it is. Unranked is an advantage strategy for some and you'll see some unranked players admit that in this forum, so in agreement with bluebird005vis, I believe there shouldn't have to be a vote on compromises, make the D12 contest the top 12 ranked players and regardless of wanting to personally play the top 12 best players, the unranked players now have a choice of being in the contest or not, on the decision to show their true rank.
May I remark on the advantage strategy of the unranked player for a second? The advantage is only gained over low ranks or new players and therefore, is an underhanded way to gain "bread & butter" points without having to pit your wits against the better players where statistically you will lose as many if not more points than you gain and so, it is a tool for maintaining the point level that keeps them in contention for the D12 contest in its current form.
Take away the ability to gain easy points over unskilled players and they will truly have to show their worth to be within the realm of the skilled top 12!
I don't want the unranked players to feel victimised here, but why would they, this is a ranked game and rank is part of it.
I must also point out that some players do not take on rank for a different reason and that is; purely choice. These players may feel victimised by this, as they do not or are perhaps incapable of using the unranked status to an advantage, they just play for fun and are a million miles from achieving entry into the D12 contest. I believe if / when the "Play for Fun" alternative choice site is created, these players will finally feel at home.

Only the quarterly points list shows the staff who "milks" the advantage and who doesn't, therefore if the staff do not wish to force anything and want to proceed with showing points, I have to vote against this as it would have to be a "ball park" figure as Vexer suggests above, so as not to allow players to rank attack you when they see they can drop you down a rank and this "point range" means more programming that doesn't really achieve anything!
SpamFree wrote:
I have nothing constructive to add to this "discussion" as none of the options gaining momentum are improvements.

I like the idea of no ranks, but that won't happen.

I'm tired of this whole subject :(

"What you do, do quickly."

CosmicCharlie wrote:
Tramadol,

I might be misreading your statement, but if I'm not, I completely disagree with this statement:

The advantage is only gained over low ranks or new players and therefore, is an underhanded way to gain "bread & butter" points without having to pit your wits against the better players where statistically you will lose as many if not more points than you gain and so, it is a tool for maintaining the point level that keeps them in contention for the D12 contest in its current form.

When I play a lower-rated player (and sometimes higher-rated players, too), I constantly lose points in the 20s and 30s. When I win, I'm lucky to get 12 or 13 pts. I have gotten as low as 7 pts against new players. So I don't think it's an effective way to build a big point base, as you have to win about 2x-3x as many games as you lose just to break even.

Furthermore, for those of us who have no intention of buying a rank or don't care, why would it matter for us to get more points by "tricking" new players? So the points can sit in our account and no one but us can see it?

On another note about points, can someone please explain this to me?

The player I have played the most against has a ranking of 60. Mine is 16. He is clearly the higher ranked player and has been every time I've played him.

Yet when I play him head-to-head, I usually receive less points when I win than the number of points he receives when he wins. The last 2p game that I won, I received 18 pts. The last game he won, he received 21. Shouldn't I get more points since he has almost 4 times my rating??
Matty wrote:
The ranking you are talking about is skill points, not battle points (or just points).
Skill points aren't that accurate, and quite outdated. Everything uses battle points now.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Villain191 wrote:
I really don't see the big deal about all this. If you want to show your rank do so, if you don't then don't, stop complaining about what others are doing like a bunch of small children.