• 20 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Cireon wrote:
Hi everybody,

I wanted to give a heads-up that we are taking down the server for a short while during the coming Monday. We are migrating the website to a new server with more modern software, and a server that will be cheaper to maintain.

When will the server go down?
We don't know an exact time yet. We would like the server to stay up for as long as possible, so we will only take it down once all the preparations for the migration are complete. We are unsure how long those will take. We estimate that the server downtime will start between 12:00pm and 2:00pm server time.

How long will the server be down for?
The estimated time for the migration is about two hours at most. We will attempt to migrate as much data as possible beforehand, so we are hoping to be done earlier.

What happens to open games?
Once the server goes down, we will end all ongoing live games and return any tokens you may have paid to start those games. All ongoing long-term game turns will be extended by 24 hours to give you the opportunity to finish the turn after the server downtime.

Why a new server?
We have been using the current server for a long while now. In that time, new software and hardware has come out, so to make the most use of our server budget, we have chosen to upgrade. We are also using this opportunity to make some infrastructural changes that we have wanted to make for a long while, which will allow us to remove further bugs from the game.

I have a question not answered here, what do I do?
Ask your question below and I'll do my best to answer it as well as I can.

Thanks for your understanding, and apologies for the inconvenience caused.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
elysium5 wrote:
Fantastic. Good work, guys!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Cireon wrote:
Downtime will start roughly one hour from now.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Cireon wrote:
Migration completed.
dough_boy wrote:
I thought you said you would extend all turns by 24 hours? I logged in yesterday morning to take my turns and wasn't able to do so (site was down). I logged in this morning and the first game I got to I noticed that it says I missed a turn. Did turns not get extended?
Cireon wrote:
Only the ones that were active at the time. We were hoping to limit the downtime was limited to about an hour, and that people would be careful with the announcements to not leave turns for the last moment. Sadly we ran into some complications with the migration, so it took longer than we hoped. If you feel you have been severely disadvantaged, you can contact an Administrator and they can look at a solution on a case-by-case basis.
dough_boy wrote:
My problem is that I am on vacation. So I only have a small window in the morning before the family wakes up. When I couldn't access it I assumed that my time would be extended as stated. My next time I could get in almost all of my tournament games (1v1) I missed a turn costing me not only the tournament but also giving me a low attendance record.

Not sure how it could be rectified because everyone already took their back to back turns and I took my next turn.
Cireon wrote:
We can fix the attendance record if required (though it should automatically recover over time), but not sure about the turns. Apologies if I was unclear about extending turns.
Hoodlum wrote:
a lot of lag happening in sametime games since the rewrite. there's lag in the transition of phases, and especially at the start of the next turn. up to 10 seconds at times, before the game is playable.
i haven't notice any lag in consecutive games.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
Yes. The new server has slightly less processing resources than before and this has hurt us more than we expected. We're discussing the steps required to mitigate. Until then it's recommended to not play 3 minute turns during peak hours.
Spartakus wrote:
Hoodlum is right, It has a lag when you start a turn, and when you do reinforcing after atack fase. That lagg started with new server.