new idea for card bonus
  • 15 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Vexer wrote:
I've been noticing in increasing card games that the cards increase too much between 12-25 and too little in the end game. What that means is that after only a few rounds regions don't matter much anymore. I personally think that the game is more fun when regions matter. It also means that with certain setups and players you can get never ending games.

With my proposal for exponential cards it will be impossible to have never ending games and it will slow the increase of the card bonus in the 12-25 range.

What I propose is that the next card bonus be 1.2 times the previous card bonus, rounded up.

This is what the bonus would be:

Exponential / Increasing

4 ------------- 4
5 ------------- 6
6 ------------- 8
8 ------------ 10
10 ----------- 12
12 ----------- 15
15 ----------- 20
18 ----------- 25
22 ----------- 30
27 ----------- 35
33 ----------- 40
40 ----------- 45
48 ----------- 50
58 ----------- 55
70 ----------- 60
84 ----------- 65
101 --------- 70
Cireon wrote:
The idea itself is good I think, though this is yet another option in the card turn in. Together with capped cards this makes five. I am not a fan of having lots and lots of options for the sake of clarity, especially for new players to the game.

Anyhow, about the option itself. I guess it is a nice addition, though 1.2 might not be the right factor, there will probably need to be some balancing tests (and with some I mean, quite a lot) to get all the factors right.
I would also include a way to see what the later turn in values will be. Currently you can only see the next turn in value, but as not everyone knows how (or wants) to calculate this (especially when the factor turns out to become 1.175635 or something XD) it might be a good idea to add the turn in for the next three values or so. Maybe by clicking/hovering the turn in div have a small popover that shows the turn in for the next four turns or so.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
I like the idea of this option very much, and the factor 1.2 seems quite well chosen already.

And in the new create a game page we can just put a toggle somewhere to hide advanced options.
Than why not hide some advanced options everywhere (if that's nescessary)?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
It's not just the create game page I am worried about. When the user wants to join a game, he is presented with a lot of information and if the information is getting more and more complicated, then what do you expect from "noobs" playing things they should play?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
marcoxa wrote:
maybe we should have advance game features only available to premium members? 
Matty wrote:
@Cireon: Hmmm, good point.

@Marcoxa: Not sure what you mean, only premiums can start games with these settings (which is probably going to happen), or only premium members can join these games?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
Currently all players can join a game with any settings, even if they havent bought certain maps for example.
I think its best to keep it like that, otherwise you limit premium mebers by not letting them play a nice game with their non-premium friends.
Vexer wrote:
1.2 doesn't seem right for the first 15 sets or so but then the number really skyrockets.

It will take quite a few test games to get it right. The nice thing about cireon's idea to show what the next several sets will be is that we can make the formula more complex.

Instead of 1.2x it could start at 4 and then the next one would be 1 + 1.1x which would give similar results in the beginning but then not get so out of control in the end.

Set-------exp------incr
1----------4----------4
2----------6----------6
3----------8----------8
4----------10--------10
5----------12--------12
6----------15--------15
7----------18--------20
8----------21--------25
9----------25--------30
10--------29--------35
11--------33--------40
12--------38--------45
13--------43--------50
14--------49--------55
15--------55--------60
16--------62--------65
17--------70--------70
18--------78--------75
19--------87--------80
20--------97--------85
21--------108------90
22--------120------95
23--------133------100
24--------148------105
25--------164------110
26--------182------115
27--------202------120
28--------224------125
29--------248------130

The first 6 sets would be identical to increasing cards. This will make it easy on new players and give plenty of time for the other players in the game to explain about exponential cards before the 7th set.

I have some ideas about the create game page that I will post in that thread.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
When I read the first Vexer's post I didn't know how to express what I thought with my English.@Cireon, you did for me. Thanks!
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Crystal wrote:
Vexer I like the setup 'til you get to around the 15th turn in, then i think it starts to get too high to fast. For example, in a 9 player game, the third round turn in will be 87 for the first player to turn in and twice that for the last player to turn in.
Vexer wrote:
9 player games are pretty much like that anyway. If you can't make a move before the 15th set you won't get another turn.

Simple solution, don't play 9p and exponential cards.

I plan to use it to make sure my 4-5 player games don't stalemate.

Matty wrote:
Maybe we should have some warnings for weird (unfair?) settings, like 8,9p exponential, 2p same time and maybe more.
Cireon wrote:
Separate rankings for different game modes (capitals, deathmatch, ...) would also be pretty interesting though, but I don't know how that would work into a global ranking.
Matty wrote:
Yes, and seperate renkings for fixed/no cards vs increasing/exponential (I think capped should go under fixed, but maybe that should be decided at the moment of the kill)

It's all a nice idea, will take time to implement though. No idea how.