Should there be a limit to how many troops you can have on your cap?
  • 27 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
Thorpe wrote:
I know that in another site they have a forum just for the gameplay and play with the placements for days, weeks, or months...of course they have more gameplay problems to worry about. I hear sort of what Bishop is saying...but at this time I think that our system works. By the way the mapmakers are players that have been around the block or two...but speaking for myself I love input when I do a map and would love somebody to do all the other stuff so I can just "paint" my maps and then play risk!

I might sound a little ruff But please when You make a comment say why and how you would change it, Solve the problem first than speak. It sounds like we all suck! I said this to -NoXon- also when he said we do not need more ugly maps...he did not say what maps were ugly!

Spell it out for me.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Cireon wrote:
A bit off topic maybe, but I think it would be a good idea to be able to see the capitals of every map. I think that will have to wait until we have a valid map browser though :(

I am not that much of a capitals player and I am by far not as experienced as some other players here are, so I can't tell if you are right or not (only that for some reason somebody killed me in a capitals game before I could even do my first turn D=). There are topics for most maps on this forum and if there isn't, you can make them. Propose new cap positions and tell them why they are better, that's the only thing the team can do something with. If you just say "they are wrong", there is nothing for the team to fix, because they don't know what to fix.

I agree capitals are very important for the game, but I think the looks of a map are also important. The site has to show off a certain quality in addition to contain quality gameplay. The point is that capitals are more easy adjustable (just change a database entry) than the looks of a map. As Vexer already told: capital positions are hard to pinpoint when you have never played the map before.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
@Vexer - Well, I like chellenges. Give me the whole database plz. I'm sending my address to you in a PM. I think I can choose capitals without playing. Just I need a lot of time.

In the Classic Word map unfortunately there is no solution for more than 3 players.
This is why I said: "If there is no solution, don't allow that number of capitals in that map".

@Thorpe - You are the best... "painter" of the site! :D I was just playing with the words. Really I didn't know how to explain it better: English is not my language. Don't be offended plz! Btw I am not afraid to say what I like, what I don't like and why. You know it.

@Cireon - I agree with you. At least, the white circles should be shown before the game starts.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Vexer wrote:
i don't have time to send you the whole database. the caps are stored as a territory id and it would take me some work to translate that territory id into a territory name. this is why i asked you to first look in the forum to see if it's there and then only ask me if it's not and if you are going to work on it right away. There should be plenty of caps in the forum to get you started. message me when you run out and need more.

as far as not allowing a certain capitals if there is no good solution for that amount of players goes, we will never do that. It's not user friendly and we would get too many questions about it that would use up all our time. And I don't think everyone would agree that there is no good solution.

For example I think you are wrong about the world map. the 4p and 5p both work just fine.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, we have different opinions. I will take the time to explain why Scandinavia is much better than Congo.
I can't now, sorry.
Vexer wrote:
they don't have to be perfectly balanced for them to work. And i have won many games from congo.

I already know that Scandinavia is better but what if you are blocked because you own iceland and can't kill the player in NA from your cap? Are you going to tell me that we shouldn't allow drops that block in capitals because that wouldn't be perfectly balanced? Maybe you should just stick to playing 2-3 player on the saturn map because it is the only truly balanced cap setup. Ah but then you could get a bad drop still.

I think you are living in a dream world and will hopefully wake up once you try and do this yourself. You can start with the san francisco map. It is the next map to be released and it needs caps.
Cireon wrote:
I think it might be possible to run a joined query to get all capitals. But oh well.

Capitals are not always perfectly balanced, true story. Even random start positions aren't truly balanced at all. I once started a game with already a whole region owned, giving me an early game boost that helped me in the beginning, though in the end, it wasn't my start position that made me win the game.

Though, if you wish to take on the challenge, that's good. Just take in mind that the task be harder than you think ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
Unfortunately I don't live in a dream world...

Scandinavia has 4 paths and Congo only 2. 4v2 it's a great difference. If you are blocked in Iceland you can still reach NA trough Africa and SA. And you still have 2 paths to reach the opponents! Also Congo could have one path blocked by the drop, in this case the comparison would be 3v1. It's very unfair! This is why me and others avoid to play that map.
Vexer wrote:
if you get congo and one path is blocked, take the region. when the time is right move your troops off of eygpt over to north africa and the next turn use that as your killing force. I have done this many times and won because of the +3 each turn. if you keep east africa and north africa strong then you can get by with a few less troops on your capital, which will increase your killing force on North Africa.

There are always ways to win despite the setup or drop.

@ Cireon, I only know the basics of SQL (I don't know joins). If you wouldn't mind, could you write me the sql to do this?
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, thank you for the advice General... I will try this strategy out!
OldDogGen wrote:
i like the idea sound it :)(limits on capital territories and every territory)
The_Bishop wrote:
That rule had already been introduced by Parker Brothers in the official board game as a rule for expert players, with the limit set at 12 armies.

That's the last of three in that instructions page:

[image]

Source: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/risk.pdf