Sorting games by player skill
  • 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Cireon wrote:
An issue which I have encountered quite a few times already is the fact that I am a mediocre player. The most fun games are against people that are roughly as good as myself in playing the game. The problem is that a lot of games contain a lot of very experienced players. Even though I like playing with them, I lose most of them. The other games usually consist of a lot of players that are quite new to this website, resulting in a lot of missed turns and they also often (unintionally) play the game in such way that has very negative consequences for me (like attacking me with everything they have with no chance of winning, leaving both them and me vulnerable for other players to kill).

I think a lot of players on this website like to play with people of their own skill. Therefore I think it might be a good idea to classify games based on the skill of existing players. I have to different ideas I want to elaborate on first

IDEA 1 - Restricting game access
The first idea is about restricting game access to certain ranks. The person that creates the game can select a range of ranks that he wants to be able to join the game. That way, the player is sure to meet players of the skill he wants to compete against.

IDEA 2 - Match percentage
This idea doesn't really have any effect on the way the system works, it just adds some extra info to a game for a player. What we could do in the lobby is for every game give a percentage (or any other indication using stars, bars, etc.) to every game that indicates how well matched the other players are. If all the players are of exactly the same skill level as you, the indication would by around 100%, while a game consisting of significantly stronger or weaker players would get a lower percentage.

Using these ideas, one could also easily add some kind of match making system. The big "but" on this whole idea is that the skill level of a player I am referring to should be as representative as possible for this system to have any use. (See also k_w_cheng's topic here)

I know that some people do like to play with people of other skills and yes: so do I. The whole use of the systems I described is optional. I think this gives a neat match making possibility for all players, resulting in more interesting games and allowing both stronger players and weaker players to play among their own little group.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Vexer wrote:
Interesting post.

We have plans to have the option to set up games with a minimum points to join requirement but now I see that the option would be better if you could specify a points range instead of just a minimum. Our current idea is to have this option be premium only. Since playing more than 5 games does not seem to be enough incentive to get players to help pay for the site.

If you help program this then you will get a free premium account so at least the issue will be solved for you.
Matty wrote:
Yes, Its really a good idea to be able to set both a minimum and a maximum on games.

Im going to add this to my personal todo list, cause I like this option. If you want to program it though, feel free. Theres plenty for the both of us :P:P:P
The only thing is that it shouldnt be used too much, cause I like to play with both good ppl and newbies sometimes.
If all newbies dont allow better players, it would be pretty boring having to play the same ppl all over again :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
cool, you two can work on it. I will be busy. I also think that there should be a limit to how many of these types of games you can play at a time so that players don't only play with this option.
Matty wrote:
The option to set a limit on points (as minimum, maximum or both) is now available!

There is a limit on this. Once you are in 3 of these games, you cannot create more. Its a premium option, but everyone can join them (unlimited, except for the max of 5 games of course).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
1771 wrote:
Great idea, great option!!! Plus I got to say way to put it into effect so darn quick !!!!!!! Amazing work, all the way around :) Makes a guy proud to be part of such a site !!!
Matty wrote:
The way the limit works is changed, you can create 3 games, whether or not you joined games fr0m others too.