Future players
  • 29 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Thorpe wrote:
I remember when my first game of risk and how fast I was gone! If I did not see the billboard by a business telling about risk night that the play weekly, I would not of bought the game and trained myself by playing against myself. My grandson wants to play but if he does I know that others would get mad at him cause he is so young. What I'm asking is: A) How do I let others know he is a young boot? B) can we set a program that shows him other moves he might take and warning him that he made a bad move. Maybe you guys have some other ideas for this problem, cause he really wants to play.....I guess he hears me yelling at the game? I did train Paddlin(16yrs old), Diddly(8 yrs old), my oldest son(12yrs old),and my two girls(7 & 8). I think that no matter the age they will learn quickly and then go for the gold..
  Maybe we can have a map/game that anybody can play but with no points, but moving up in rank till you move up to the big boys.
  Just a thought.

PAPA
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Paddlin wrote:
This is a good idea. I think that creating lobbies by skill level might be a remedy to this problem. Is that possible?
Votazap wrote:
diddly is 8!!! or is that the age you trained him at..but back to the point,yes i think that would be a good idea
Vexer wrote:
diddly was 8, he is nearly 30 now.

I do think that it would be a good idea to have beginners games. The problem is that anyone could claim they are a beginner and you could end up with a skilled player taking advantage. You hit upon the key though, make the games rating-less, i.e., no points. I have wanted rating-less games for awhile. we should have an option for it when you set up a game. Personally I would like to play more 2 player games but it kills my points because I lose 40+ points but only stand to gain maybe 10. 2p games are 50% luck at least so it's not a good idea for me to play them if i want to keep my rank. A rating-less game option would solve both problems.

The other thing that will help new players more than anything that we can do on the site is the computer program TurboRisk. You play against computer players who can't yell at you when you do something dumb. The AI is quite good, i helped program it myself. Anyone under the rank of sergeant would improve their game a lot by practicing on TurboRisk. It's completely free. There are difficulty settings ranging from very easy to very hard and you can customize which computer players you want to play with.

Download it at http://www.marioferrari.org/freeware/turborisk/turborisk.html
Pntbttr wrote:
But there are different settings in the turbo risk you actually place your men I think we really need a computer option on this site and the option to place your men and a lot of other option

Could we get somebody that only works on getting the options set up on the site? Like Free shop Items, Free and atimatic ranks, picking the amout of fortifycation (amount of territories you can fortify from and to), double layered maps, kings, Capture, pairs, Triads, Pop down box with info on what kind of game your playing, card fog, advanced dice, Private games, speciel anniversary/holiday games with 12 people, what about the idea of have a friend (somebody you know in the real world)/relitive list that you can click on to invite, how about a leaveing option (everybody else would have to agree) , Secret forces, somebody said something about golden dice (not sure what they are but might be a good idea) and now this idea!

I feel like it keeps pileing up but nobody can do anything! We need somebody that can add stuff like this!
Vexer wrote:
that is quite a list pntbttr, you've been keeping track. Unfortunately the only one who can do all of that right now is teck. and it will be one thing at a time.

turborisk will train you well enough despite that placement difference between it and this site.

Putting AI on this site might be possible in the future (at least a year off) but it wouldn't be any good. the only reason why the turborisk AI is good is because it makes a lot of calculations. Our server wouldn't be able to handle that amount of calculations and still serve multiple users at once.
Thorpe wrote:
The problem with AI is that it doesn't tell you what a dumb move you made. So can't one player help them without losing points? Make it a pointless game. lol
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
Something about a real person is better than AI!
Vexer wrote:
I agree it would be nice to be able to have the option for a no points game. Teck if you are reading, what do you think?
1771 wrote:
The only immediate option that I could say would work for now, is put a jr. behind his name like votazapjr, and my son who is 7 years old 1771jr, let them all play together and learn like we learned from playing each other. I sit next to my son sometimes and explain to him why he should make this move or that. I really try to avoid playing him in a game with other players because of my own personal feelings of needing to protect. He sneaks in a game with me here or there and I usually kill him off rather quick, so I don't feel that need. I like the ideal of letting him play turborisk, but I agree that no one is there to point out this or that.

Another thing I do with my own son is that I only allow him to play certain players, Fendi is AMAZING with kids, and she doesn't seem to mind playing them. I really don't like playing the real young guys, but I do give zappyjr. a game every once in awhile explaining as we go.

I like the suggestion of pointless games option, I myself want this site to have every option that we can think of, even if I myself don't like certain options, other players might be drawn to them and stick around because of them.

I will direct Teck to this thread making sure that he sees it. I think it is really cool how you learned to play Thorpe and that there was somewhere that they actually played as a group. Where was it if may ask? I am 38 myself and started playing castle risk/ regular risk flipping the board when I was about 14. It was all for bragging rights :), then later on we would all throw in $10.00 and the winner would walk away with a fifty...Pretty cool. Also we made up the secret forces option that I would like to incorperate into our site. Man I miss those days.