the title says it all, a list of QoL changes (with possible implementations)
  • 5 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
hiscorginess wrote:
a list of possible qol improvements

{A} functional:
1. replying: generally i like to talk, a lot, that means i go off-topic and have to move back, i use > to denote a reply and copy paste the message in but it would be nice to have a little hover button that copies the text content of the message
2. an actual search bar: i clicked the forum search bar, it redirected me to my browser, seems like a placeholder was put into place. this is pretty tricky but im assuming you guys have some sort of modern database you can sort through for stuff
3. when you send a message it redirects you back to the inbox rather than stay fixed on the message thread
4. more customizable settings? seems like admins cant/wont edit some specific game settings when asked, this is incase its a 'cant' situation, if its a 'wont', cool, ignore this then
5. invite autocompletion is just not good, no offence, that really needs a restructuring, half of the time i have to fully type the users name out before the autocomplete pops up
6. invite groups, be able to bundle usernames together and bulk send invites, another db table it is :<
7. do desktop notifications work??

{B} UI:
1. live games / long term games button: hovering over should not just highlight the caret, the text should also change
2. forward clicking on the dom12 icon to the homepage
3. live message preview: as of typing this right now i have to smack that preview button to see stuff, its all done client side(?) so id prefer a little checkbox for auto-preview

{C} middle ground:
1. pinnable refresh: when im playing a live game fog of war i like to spam that refresh but i dont like having to go back and forth, prefer to have the refresh be able to be pinned somewhere on my screen. css wise this is just hellish because no one likes fixed stuff unless you go for a nice lil position: absolute i think?
2. show a little dot next to game chat / team chat or change the color if theres any unread messages, this is mainly for team games where you sometimes dont check game chat and miss some "STOP PLEASE I REQUIRE WATER" type messages, middle ground because idk if you guys have a `read` system available for messages

{D} big stuff (no elaborate because super vague statement and highly dependant on the site backend)
1. webhooks/api for turns [because robots.txt is a thing] ( :( ) for premium users because frequent flyers program ( :) )
2. be able to undo your latest game message and have that reflect on the other clients (intimidating to even think of)
3. timezones: the timezone is the standard GMT one (prefer to have my devices' one visible instead), this ones fairly tricky to implement i think so im just throwing it out there, the ease of it wholly depends on the infrastructure of the site so not something i can give advice for (unless you're using django e.e)
4. be able to pick which team you want to join - im assuming the team code is absolutely spaghetti (prove me wrong) so thats why this is under big stuff
5. little flappy bird popout panel for when you're playing a live game

also why are there 15 available colors if the max is 10 players lol, is that something for the future?
also also how is the site built btw? is it pure js or are you guys using a framework?

list will expand based on suggestions, PM me if i forget about this thread
theres more i want to say but not enough time :<

if you guys want to talk about a specific suggestion just use the alphabet and the corresponding key, or just quote it, idk (like A1 or D2)
three beetles, a shoe salesman and a priest walk into a bar
hiscorginess wrote:
off-topic im pretty sure i can change the site theme with a browser extension so ill put that on the project list if anyones interested
-> that means css comments have no home here :<

i also did consider using a proper ordered list to format the stuff but im too lazy and the auto formatter is heretical
Matty wrote:
Oh, that's a lot. Some answers.

A Functional:
1. Personally I think excessive quoting makes messages hard to read. If you talk about multiple things at once, maybe create multiple messages? In this list for example I'll have to keep it short, otherwise it'll turn impossible to follow.
2. We had that, quite extensive, and then it started crashing because searching the entire forum took too much memory... the current thing is a placeholder so that you have at least some search.
3. This is fine?
4. If there are specific customisations you need, create a forum thread about them?
5. No offense taken, I kinda agree too, it's just not a priority right now
6. Can't you comma-seperate them?
7. They should, but they are in beta - I don't know about it though, ask Cireon :)

B UI
1. Like an underline on the subtext? Might work.
2. Why? The homepage doesn't really do that much.
3. Nope, it's serverside

C Middle ground
1. Errrr, less spamming is better? Because it means less load on the server.
2. Yeah I want this too, never got around to doing it though

D Big stuff
1. Not sure what you mean, if you have a specific thing that you need, maybe create a forum thread about it?
2. If we get around to editing/deleting sent chat messages, than there'll need to be a timeout on it.
3. We do everything in UTC, and you'll have to communicate with people all over the world. So I think it's a bad idea to display a local time everywhere. We maybe could do a hover that shows you your local time or something.
4. I want this too, but never got around to coding it. The problem is: we randomize which team you're in when the game starts, not when you join, so this does requires changes in multiple places.
5. Here at dominating12 we don't have a tradition to play flappybird. Instead we complain about our dice in this thread.

E Unlisted
1. People like to choose their own colours, so the more colours to choose from the better. The only reason why we don't have more than this is because they have to work on all maps, which is hard (ask the cartographers). We tried.
2. Frontend: coffeescript (deprecated) and typescript with ye good old jquery. Backend: php with laravel.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
Opinions?

[image]
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
hiscorginess wrote:
damn okay so a lot of the 'problems' just old code thats hard to work around it seems or me being vague at suggesting?

replies:
A
1. Personally I think excessive quoting makes messages hard to read. If you talk about multiple things at once, maybe create multiple messages? In this list for example I'll have to keep it short, otherwise it'll turn impossible to follow.
D: yea it is skill issue i guess

2. We had that, quite extensive, and then it started crashing because searching the entire forum took too much memory... the current thing is a placeholder so that you have at least some search.
..so thats optimization problems? looks like the site has been around for a fairly long time (14 years) so it makes sense

3. This is fine?
uh well when i send a reply on a message thread it redirects me to the inbox rather than staying on the thread, id prefer some sort of back button & staying on the thread
mostly subjective

4. If there are specific customisations you need, create a forum thread about them?
will do, you're right, too vague :<

5. No offense taken, I kinda agree too, it's just not a priority right now
:thumbs_up:

6. Can't you comma-seperate them?
did not know that (make it more clear on the invite portion?).. but i think it still stands? like id still have to copy paste a list i have stored somewhere else
best if i could create like a invite group (3 for premium) with 9 people in it that i could quick input in and invite everyone
for people who mass invite (cough periwinkle cough) it would also be useful

7. They should, but they are in beta - I don't know about it though, ask Cireon :)
merci

B
1. yes that works, nice to have some more response :z

2. Why? The homepage doesn't really do that much.
i dunno i just felt really disappointed with myself when i clicked the icon and it did absolutely nothing, generally a standard on most websites that the icon links back to home, seems fairly easy to do

3. live message preview: as of typing this right now i have to smack that preview button to see stuff, its all done client side(?) so id prefer a little checkbox for auto-preview
oof, yea thats fine, no need for it then

C
1. Errrr, less spamming is better? Because it means less load on the server.
I TAKE NO LIABILITY

2. Yeah I want this too, never got around to doing it though
atleast we agree on something :)

D
1. Not sure what you mean, if you have a specific thing that you need, maybe create a forum thread about it?
sure, but just to clarify, i mean like i want to be able to get pinged on discord or slack by say, my own bot when its my turn
using email as a middleman is not the best idea i think and scraping is questionable

2. If we get around to editing/deleting sent chat messages, than there'll need to be a timeout on it.
yea 100% which complicates things since every message needs to be ticked.. oof

3. We do everything in UTC, and you'll have to communicate with people all over the world. So I think it's a bad idea to display a local time everywhere. We maybe could do a hover that shows you your local time or something.
yea that would be great because i have to a. convert to 24h, b. subtract/add my timezone to do it and often i get the complicated mental maths wrong

4. I want this too, but never got around to coding it. The problem is: we randomize which team you're in when the game starts, not when you join, so this does requires changes in multiple places.
spaghetti

5. little flappy bird popout panel for when you're playing a live game - no tradition
just any open source game would be a nice addition (ie steve the dinosaur), i think, seems like another chrome extension e.e

E
2. Frontend: coffeescript (deprecated) and typescript with ye good old jquery. Backend: php with laravel.
<insert horrified face>
just kidding i like coffeescript too :p laravel is also a very nice choice, i approve of this bonfire. es5 and below i take it

as of writing this i would also appreciate a keybind to italics or bold, not sure if that exists, kind of annoying to drag my cursor then back to keyboard then cursor then keyboard