• 54 posts
  • Page 4 of 4
Thorpe wrote:
I have enough tokens to buy general but as you know "Lady Luck" has been a mean woman! My points have drop quickly in the past month and a lot of higher rank players have too. Should we have more of a space for the points? I play a lot of newbies and I give them tips on how to play till they get the feel of the site...but I also don't kill them when I can...and of coarse that bites me back and I lose a lot of points to them.
I think that some one should be a trainer for these newbies without hurting their standings.
I take them to all the maps and play them...so they know them all and then try to teach them how to play caps with most of the maps.
I just want to have better,and more players on the site so we don't just play the same people over and over again.
And when they do play "Live" game they don't get chewed out by the older players...and then they quit!
We need to retain the newbies!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
you don't have enough to buy general silly :) you have to buy all the ranks in between.

the solution to the training thing is to have unrated games. it's on the list.
Thorpe wrote:
ok I'm silly...your right!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
hurry up with the unrated games
Paddlin wrote:
Looks like I missed the boat on this conversation before a decision was made. If you are going to alter the tokens to where it is easier for people to purchase rank, then what is the purpose of having tokens? It has not been difficult acquiring enough tokens to rank up. In fact, the tokens have been perfectly in line with my ability to buy maps and acquire the next ranks. There has only been a few occasions where I was waiting on tokens.

That said, I play a lot of live games. I think the token requirement forces people to play live games. Which is the best part about this website. Regular games are okay, but so too is playing the computer AI in TurboRisk. 

Also, I think that the point earning totals should be reduced for regular games.  Someone could be like 1771 was and play every regular game possible and rank up quickly that way. 8 player games have little risk with massive point rewards. 

If we want rank to be meaningful, people should have to earn it. Not hand select the games they want to play, or join every regular game possible. Currently, it is hard to place much weight in the ranking system. Individuals who rarely put their rank to the test in live games with people they don't know have artificially inflated ranks IMO. The token system, in some respects, ensures that people cannot exploit the ranking system. It is a good thing that people have more points than tokens allow them to rank up with.

Also, unranked games would be really nice. Let's put that on the list of things ...
Vexer wrote:
unrated games are definitely high on the list.

We can always adjust these tokens again easily and at any time if it proves necessary.

The point system isn't perfect. Like you said, playing 8 player games has little risk and is an easy way for a skilled player to rank up quickly.

This is why we also have the more accurate skill level system. The reasons why we implemented the points system were because no one understood the skill level system and people wanted to see an instant relationship between winning or losing and their points.
Paddlin wrote:
Ya, the skill level is interesting. If you are a player who is willing to play anyone, despite the risks associated with doing so, you will have a low skill level. If you sit back and hand select games with players who only have higher skill levels, you will increase your chances of having a high skill level. I guess the ranking systems only make sense in a field of continual open play, which is not the case here. The people who have skill levels seldomly reach out. There are certainly exceptions to this. But, I think those exceptions prove the "rule".

Even in regular games this is the case. For example, I recently went through the regular games to find a couple "high rank" players to play against, and there was only Lucide to be found in the Que. 

It would be nice to develop strategies against people who are very good and think of things that I don't. That is more of the issue for me. I think that preserving the token system helps ensure this is a possibility because it keeps people with high ranks playing if they want to progress. 
Vexer wrote:
someone needs to buy distributor premium so we have more opportunities to beat him since I haven't seen him in live games in a long time.
Thorpe wrote:
Paddlin 1771 plays reg games so that he keeps a handle on the chats and questions players...old and new...have on games...not to increase their rank.
If all you need to do is play lots of reg games then Fendi would now be higher ranked.
The games that 1771 seems to have going at one time is required of an Admin.  Fendi did not have many reg games going till she was told she had to make sure there was enough reg games going so new and old could pick what ..map..fog...chained...ect. and that as a Admin. she had to.
Just a foot note.thx