• 30 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
dough_boy wrote:
This appears to only show the last week or so of games. I know to be considered for D12 you have to have played 5 games over the last 15 days. How can we see how someone did during that 15 day stretch?

I was curious about what Alex is doing to keep his domination up, when I noticed he completed one game (the D12 game), and is currently playing in another game that he even claims is a test game and will have reversed.

I am assuming the 5 games over 15 days would be COMPLETED games correct? Not sure how to handle the "Test" games. Not saying he is gaming the system, but anyone could create 5 test games, win or lose, then reverse them and maintain their D12 status. Conversely, I don't think Slack or anyone else wants to take the time to go verify that the list has 5 valid completed games everytime.

So I think the Recent Activity List on a person's profile should show at least 15 days, if not 30.

I might also recommend that a "Test mode" be enabled for anyone to choose where if setup no points, coins, or stats are calculated off of the game.
elysium5 wrote:
I am not sure how the completed games works in relation to these 'test' games but it certainly brings up a VERY good point if it does count towards eligibility.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
periwinkle wrote:
why don't increase the minimum games played to 10 as well? five is really too little.
elysium5 wrote:
I just checked and I only see;

2 completed games by Alex in just the last month.

6 total completed games in the last 2 months.

7 total completed games in the last 3 months.

10 total completed games in the last 4 months.

Etc.

Something is definitely wrong with this.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
dough_boy wrote:
periwinkle
why don't increase the minimum games played to 10 as well? five is really too little.
Originally there was no requirement. Once you were at the top you could continue to call yourself a D12 with no skin in the game. The rules were changed to require 5 completed (I thought) games over the last 15 day period to at least be considered.

I am not sure we need more than 5 in the last 15 days (as if you are not premium you can't likely have more than that), but it would be worth noting and discussing.
dough_boy wrote:
elysium5

Etc.

Well...you likely have access to more data than I do. But if what you show is accurate then somehow the system is being gamed, or there is a glitch in the matrix and we need to recalc the D12. All for people being on the list if they have earned it and maintained it (by competing).
periwinkle wrote:
dough_boy
periwinkle
Originally there was no requirement. Once you were at the top you could continue to call yourself a D12 with no skin in the game. The rules were changed to require 5 completed (I thought) games over the last 15 day period to at least be considered.

I am not sure we need more than 5 in the last 15 days (as if you are not premium you can't likely have more than that), but it would be worth noting and discussing.

ah...yes that makes sense...
periwinkle wrote:
dough_boy
Well...you likely have access to more data than I do. But if what you show is accurate then somehow the system is being gamed, or there is a glitch in the matrix and we need to recalc the D12. All for people being on the list if they have earned it and maintained it (by competing).

i agree on a recalc...especially if he did win a dominator game, then he would have gotten double the points (which now should be removed...at least the double part) This might put slackbatter out on top who is quite honourable player and deserving of the top spot.
elysium5 wrote:
dough_boy
elysium5

Etc.

The only data I have access in regards to this is I can see a history of each player and every game they have ever played or are currently playing.

In regards to how the calculations work, I can't offer much help. I am no programmer, that's for sure.
elysium5 is online.
dough_boy wrote:
I even compared the static lists of the D12 and it has been 2, 4, 2 over the last 3 lists (the 4 actually spanned 2 months). So basically he has averaged 2 games a month for the last 4 months, of which half have been the D12 game.
Cireon wrote:
We consider active games as well as finished games. Long term games almost always takes longer than 15 days to complete, so requiring 5 finished games in the last 15 days is unrealistic for non-premium users who are only allowed to have 5 active long term games active to begin with. We really care deeply about both long term games and live games being a viable method of landing on the Dominating 12 list; changing it to "just" finished games goes against that value, as we would start excluding a not insignificant part of this community from competing.

I do agree that test games should be excluded, but our filtering system is already complicated and quite slow, so I am unsure how easy that is to add. It is my assumption here that test games aren't super prevalent, since reverting points is done manually by staff at this time, and I would trust them to be prudent in that.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dough_boy wrote:
How are you able to be called the leader of D12 4 months in a row when you only have 2 completed games a month? And one of the completed games is the D12 game. I could create a long term game that had like a week for each turn that would theoretically take months to finish.

There are plenty of others who are able to get more than the minimum games done who are not premium.

People at the top of the list should be actively competing making themselves and others better.

But back to my original post...recent activity should show us everything in the last 2-4 weeks and now currently active games.

/rant
Matty wrote:
First: I absolutely agree that Alex's behavior here looks fishy. I asked him about this here (sorry, I saw this thread later), he hasn't responded yet, so let's see how he answers.

But second: if a person likes to only play fixed card games, that person only plays long term games and is also is not a premium member, I still want him to be able to be a part of the top 12. You can't do that if active games don't count I think.

P.S. Yes, as admins we can see all the games you've played / are playing, which I don't think is publicly available. Which is a good thing IMO.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
The two reasons for seeing everyone's games:

1. Can help fact check and keep people honest
2. Can help people learn what makes someone great, and possibly their weakness

If I couldn't randomly change a game number and see it I would understand keeping them hidden. But when they are all public I don't see the harm in exposing data for 30 days.