"You can no longer edit this post."
  • 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
vikingo1337 wrote:
One issue that keeps coming back when I edit posts (quick replies in threads) is that I run out of editing time. I've never timed it, but I imagine the default editing time for a post is limited to about 10 minutes. And that's rarely enough when I have a lot to say.

Several times now I have been applying the finishing touches to a post, only to get the unfortunate message once I'm done: "You can no longer edit this post." And then all the corrections I made to it are lost, unless an admin takes pity on me and implements them afterwards with his magic wand.

So how about we extend the editing time for posts to 20 or 30 minutes? It would allow us to get them just right before we run out of time, thereby increasing their quality while also freeing up admin time. Taking a break after writing a post, and then editing it later, would also be possible.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
elysium5 wrote:
I have no idea what the editing posts time restriction is. I was not even aware there was one. I have never had that specific issue. I have had many issues with losing all of my well thought out and lengthy messages from time to time so I have made it a habit to save my work periodically as I go so I can just copy and paste it after if I 'lose' it while writing something.

I often take breaks before I post so this is a good habit for me to prevent me wasting a lot of my time.

Not sure if that helps.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Currently it's 15 minutes before the post is locked in as uneditable. I wouldn't be opposed to a slight longer time limit, but wouldn't want it too long - threads could get confusing if people keep editing posts after people have replied.

If I want to make a massive edit to a post, I edit it paragraph by paragraph, posting each edited paragraph one by one. It's like saving a word document periodically in case of a crash, except in this case the 'crash' is guaranteed every 15 minutes.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Matty wrote:
elysium5
I have no idea what the editing posts time restriction is. I was not even aware there was one. I have never had that specific issue.
That's because you're an admin - admins can edit posts long after because of moderation reasons. Of course, that also means you can fix your own spelling errors long after you posted it.

To me 15 minutes seems reasonable, but it's relatively easy to change if people think that 30 mins or something is better. I do love to edit my spelling mistakes after a post (sometimes even years later), so I completely understand.

Note: If it's the first post of a thread everyone can edit it much later, right?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
periwinkle wrote:
Matty
Note: If it's the first post of a thread everyone can edit it much later, right?

Yup the first post we can still edit.
elysium5 wrote:
Matty
elysium5
I have no idea what the editing posts time restriction is. I was not even aware there was one. I have never had that specific issue.
That's because you're an admin - admins can edit posts long after because of moderation reasons. Of course, that also means you can fix your own spelling errors long after you posted it.

To me 15 minutes seems reasonable, but it's relatively easy to change if people think that 30 mins or something is better. I do love to edit my spelling mistakes after a post (sometimes even years later), so I completely understand.

Might want to edit this;)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strenght lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
Edit what?

B|

(but thanks)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
elysium5 wrote:
I wonder what the odds were of me actually spotting that after your post. I should play a game or 2 with that luck:)
Matty wrote:
To keep this discussion alive, @elysium and @virt, what would you think that a reasonable max-edit time is? 15 minutes as it's now? Half an hour? Something in between? a day?
Matty is online.
elysium5 wrote:
Matty
To keep this discussion alive, @elysium and @virt, what would you think that a reasonable max-edit time is? 15 minutes as it's now? Half an hour? Something in between? a day?

I think an hour would offer plenty of time.

A day seems excessive but I also don't really see anything wrong with that either if someone wants to say why they would like it that long.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Let's go 30, certainly not longer. If we find threads losing an element of chronology as a result of editing, we can always shorten it to 20 if need be. But I don't think that will be necessary.

Seriously can someone be writing a post for over 30 minutes?
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Cireon wrote:
IMO why are you posting and then going back in to revise your post? Shouldn't you revise your post before others can read it?

No problem increasing the edit time with me, it's unlikely to cause problems (most forums don't even have this restriction), but I also think that if you rely on it a lot, you may need to consider reading through your post before hitting that post button :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
vikingo1337 wrote:
Cireon
IMO why are you posting and then going back in to revise your post? Shouldn't you revise your post before others can read it?

No problem increasing the edit time with me, it's unlikely to cause problems (most forums don't even have this restriction), but I also think that if you rely on it a lot, you may need to consider reading through your post before hitting that post button :)

It is entirely possible to write and edit a text, post it, and then notice something afterwards that needs additional editing anyway. Not least because the colours and margins of the boxes are different before and after – you see things in a different light, literally.

Or maybe you get an idea 16 minutes later and try to add it to the text, but can’t because of the editing time limit. Sure, that can happen after 31 minutes too, but it is less likely to still be relevant by then.

Also, consider the platform: On a laptop you have a good overview of your text, but that is not the case on a phone. You have to zoom, tilt, change keyboards, etc. and may miss a few things in the process.

Editing a text after posting it also takes longer on a phone than on a laptop. Especially if you have to move entire sentences or paragraphs around like I did just now.

So yes, 30 minutes sounds good. Double of what we have now, but not enough to disturb the order of the posts.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
Matty wrote:
Thanks viki, peri and all the others for the suggestions, you should now have half an hour to edit your posts ;)
Matty is online.