Is this something new?
  • 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
AlexCheckMate wrote:
I don't recall stumbling on this before.... it seems to happen once a player goes >5000 games.
Why do we have this (now)?

An example:

[image]

Kind regards

- Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
We don't have a very optimised system for calculating statistics. That means that each time you visit one of these pages, we read all the games that person ever played, and calculate the statistics from that. Once you have 5000 games, that becomes so expensive on the server, that we just don't have the resources to handle this, so we turned them off.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Cireon
We don't have a very optimised system for calculating statistics. That means that each time you visit one of these pages, we read all the games that person ever played, and calculate the statistics from that. Once you have 5000 games, that becomes so expensive on the server, that we just don't have the resources to handle this, so we turned them off.

I think less than a year ago, I was still able to see the statistics from people with even 10k+ games :o changed when Covid struck and the server got a lot more traffic?
Took a while to load... but eventually, I got it

Could it be possible to make a slight adjustment - have every 5k (or whatever number) of games on a player be stored, so they don't need to be recalculated each time - then calculate the remaining games again - add the two piles together before showing
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
That's possible, but quite a bit of work to get right.
You'd have to either sort on date_finished (slow) or sort in game id or something. But then you'd need to think about what'd happen if you finish a game that's inside 'the cache'.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
I heard an idea about 'what about only counting the last 5000 games. That'd give a non complete score, but at least you see something. And at least that one's easy to implement.

Would that work?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty
I heard an idea about 'what about only counting the last 5000 games. That'd give a non complete score, but at least you see something. And at least that one's easy to implement.

Would that work?

Yes, I'd be much happier with that :)

The full statistics remain stored, right? They're just not loaded while asking for it - if things change at some point, they're not gone, right?

― Albert Einstein
elysium5 wrote:
As discussed in another thread, this could be a good 'start fresh' option as well where once you hit the threshold of games played where it becomes to much to load, you could just have the stats page start over every x amount of games.

The full statistics remain stored, right? They're just not loaded while asking for it - if things change at some point, they're not gone, right?
I don't believe they are gone, just to costly to load when requested.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
The_Bishop wrote:
I think Matty wasn't speaking about fresh-start stats but just last-5000-games stats which is perfectly fine with me.

From some points of view could be even better because that would allow me (us) to know the stats of a player in the recent years (better say in the recent thousands of games). Example: let's say a player that 6 years ago played only 1v1 but now prefers to play multiplayer games, it's more important for me to know what kind of games he's been playing recently -- excluding the older stats -- so I think it's fine, I definitely like the idea.

Total number of games played and turns taken will still show HERE, right?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Yes, userlist and profile will be as usual, only the calculated stats and standings will be the last 5k.

And yeah, no game info is gone. We just don't count them all.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty
Yes, userlist and profile will be as usual, only the calculated stats and standings will be the last 5k.

And yeah, no game info is gone. We just don't count them all.

Just enquiring to see whether I understood the current plans/consensus.

- We'll opt for the just showing the last 5k games (to lower the burden on the server; I'd be fine with 1k too, if that'll help?). Possibly work towards a full show again sometime later; no ETA.
- This is an easy/quick adaption? Planned to go live within the next 2 weeks?

No rush; just enthusiastic :D

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
AlexCheckMate
- We'll opt for the just showing the last 5k games (to lower the burden on the server; I'd be fine with 1k too, if that'll help?). Possibly work towards a full show again sometime later; no ETA.
Yes

AlexCheckMate
- This is an easy/quick adaption? Planned to go live within the next 2 weeks?
Given the site is maintained by volunteer programmers, we don't give ETAs on features.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Alright, this one works again, counting at most the last 2500 games. Still not fast, but allright for now.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty
Alright, this one works again, counting at most the last 2500 games. Still not fast, but allright for now.

Woohoo! Very cool, thanks :)

― Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
Matty
thanks matty/cireon
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
elysium5 wrote:
Fantastic! Appreciate the hard work!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."