• 22 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
tcjohans wrote:
I like periwinkle's ideas.

In particular, point 3 - or something similar to it - is very much needed. It's currently quite complicated, and time-consuming, to keep track of exactly which players are on which teams.
The_Bishop wrote:
I was off several month...
Any news/ changes/ improvements on team games ?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
tcjohans wrote:
"Either way I think we would encounter several graphic issues with shaped (non-circular) markers, so basically I think it's No, but the idea is nice."

Actually, if the markers are made with CSS (which would be a sound design choice anyway), then it should be possible to make markers with different shapes. At least circular and square markers would be possible, and also squares with rounded corners. I suspect many other options would probably also be possible, but I would need to look into CSS in more detail to ascertain that.
HS0602 wrote:
Hey peri didn't you get that photo from majcom?
Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about.
periwinkle wrote:
HS0602
Hey peri didn't you get that photo from majcom?

yes. most of the teammates i play with and my referrals are all from majcom....the players that are here are all generals there and part of the competitive clans.  it's currently undergoing renos....so we are hanging out here for the last 2 years :)  there would be more of us...but many of them just couldn't get used to the UI here and how team games were set up. This is a stable site and relatively bug-free and i know these suggestions would help improve the quality of play overall, but i know these suggestions are not easy to implement...but it doesn't hurt to ask ;)
ericjkline wrote:
I'm new to the site, but have enjoyed my first few games already. Playing in some team games has helped me learn the site quickly. I agree it does not make sense to join teams just to go beat up unknowing players. I think teams can go up against other good teams, and the chat about the games is really fun. No one outside of here wants to talk to us about our strategy games, so I love that part of team games. Also, I have set up ultimate frisbee organizations in a few different cities, and one of the most rewarding parts was always getting new people into it. Making them part of a team, and committing to mentoring rookies (most easily done while playing) is the robust way to build the community.

Similarly to sports, the colors do matter. It's not that you can't figure out who is who, and what territory belongs to someone. It's that if you cannot do it in a glance and see which areas are clear of opponents, it becomes very tedious to visualize the tactics and strategies. Imagine watching a sport where everyone dresses the same and you need to figure out teams based on names on jerseys and looking at a program to tell which side each is on.

Again, thanks for the great site and for having discussions about how to make it greater! I look forward to being beat by all of you at some point.
periwinkle wrote:
ericjkline
one of the most rewarding parts was always getting new people into it. Making them part of a team, and committing to mentoring rookies (most easily done while playing) is the robust way to build the community.

Similarly to sports, the colors do matter. It's not that you can't figure out who is who, and what territory belongs to someone. It's that if you cannot do it in a glance and see which areas are clear of opponents, it becomes very tedious to visualize the tactics and strategies. Imagine watching a sport where everyone dresses the same and you need to figure out teams based on names on jerseys and looking at a program to tell which side each is on.

Again, thanks for the great site and for having discussions about how to make it greater! I look forward to being beat by all of you at some point.

ah eric....missed playing with you! glad you are here now :)  and i also look forward to you beating my arse as you always do and me always learning something new. Don't let his noob stats fool you....he is a very well respected top notch general from our old digs....you want to listen to him if he is on your team....he is a master! :) :) :)