MIght be quicker :)
  • 17 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
AlexCheckMate wrote:
So I joined two games yesterday:

https://dominating12.com/game/1099304
https://dominating12.com/game/1099306

Both of which were just about to start.... 7 and 8 players respectively for a full 9 (So in need of 2 & 1).

I did however not realise their time was about to expire... (games stay active for 30 days to attract players; thereafter they fizzle out and disappear).

My suggestion: Give the host of the game some kind of notification; s/he can then decide to renew the timer for this game with an additional 30 days.
Possibly, once the host did this, give the players who had already joined a notification too. They get a 48h timer to renew their interest in the game; if they do not do it, they get kicked out once the timer expires.

I think it might help to get games started. Especially for high(er) rated games. I do not think the incentive/desire to play in such a particular game goes away after the initial 30d, nor do I deem it to be likely that such players suddenly quit playing D12 as a whole (meaning: they'll be aware of the game and can make their own decision whether to stay or to leave).

==========================================================================================
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
==========================================================================================
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Additionally... for this specific case (these 2 games); while waiting for people to think about this suggestion - can they please get reinstated? And if so, what route should I follow to achieve this?

Thx

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
braveheart1 wrote:
hi
i would love to go forward in those 2 games but i dont know what the procedures are to do so.
please tell me what i have to do and i will do it
thanks
Matty wrote:
If you know a player that wants to join, you can just ask, send him the link, and he can join the game - that'll reopen it.

But if you wait for ppl to join by themselves - it's been a month, and you don't have the number, so maybe send out some messages or something?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:

@Matty:

10 Jan, 19:32:27 Game started.
10 Jan, 19:32:27 Mdhaglund joined the game.
10 Jan, 09:00:07 The game was suspended automatically.

You are right! (Which you knew, obviously - but I didn't, ghehe)
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
Does it suspend the game 30 days after it was created or 30 days after the last person joined?
AlexCheckMate wrote:
dough_boy
Does it suspend the game 30 days after it was created or 30 days after the last person joined?

Simply look at the log; after creation:

10 Jan, 19:32:27   Game started.
   10 Jan, 19:32:27   Mdhaglund joined the game.
  10 Jan, 09:00:07   The game was suspended automatically.
   09 Jan, 16:23:50   AlexCheckMate joined the game.
   08 Jan, 23:57:32   johnnybto joined the game.
   07 Jan, 00:58:44   Staback69 joined the game.
   04 Jan, 17:03:59   Mowiththetoe joined the game.
   04 Jan, 16:49:30   kramerq left the game.
   04 Jan, 16:47:17   kramerq joined the game.
   03 Jan, 03:47:45   cdravis joined the game.
   24 Dec, 20:17:05   genghis_burke joined the game.
   12 Dec, 22:37:27   Riskk joined the game.
   10 Dec, 10:53:51   braveheart1 joined the game.
   10 Dec, 10:53:51   Game created.

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Good to see you got it started. Yeah, it felt like a bit intrusive to end a game without giving the host the option to reopen it in some way. So yeah, you can still join, it's just not in the list anymore.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
AlexCheckMate
dough_boy

1, I don't like math;
2, it is 30+ days...so no real calculation I can see;
3, if it was based on when the last person joined it would "extend" the time as needed
AlexCheckMate wrote:
dough_boy
AlexCheckMate
dough_boy

1, I don't like math;
2, it is 30+ days...so no real calculation I can see;
3, if it was based on when the last person joined it would "extend" the time as needed

1. Lol :p
2. I think it checks whether a game has been 30d on 9am server time every day; if under: stays open. When over: suspend.
3. Suppose so. But apparently people can still join after suspended (& therewith start the game), so I'm happy already :)

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
1. Maths is great.
2. Alex's explanation sounds likely.
3. Suspended is probably not the right word. It's more like... hidden. This is to avoid the long term game lobby just becoming more and more full with games that in all likelihood will never start. This way, the attention of players is focussed on a smaller number of games, which hopefully helps filling up those remaining games faster rather than spreading them out over a lot of never-starting games.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Cireon
1. Maths is great.
2. Alex's explanation sounds likely.
3. Suspended is probably not the right word. It's more like... hidden. This is to avoid the long term game lobby just becoming more and more full with games that in all likelihood will never start. This way, the attention of players is focussed on a smaller number of games, which hopefully helps filling up those remaining games faster rather than spreading them out over a lot of never-starting games.

1. Agreed (and confused db claims otherwise, considering he enjoys a game which is "pure" maths :p - considering he is pretty skilled at the game, I'll assume it's a bit of a joke).
2. You should know though, no? You can see the coding.
3. Agreed. That's why I was happily surprised games could still be joined and started :) the way it's handled now also works fine for me (after finding out it actually works like this :p)

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
I am also reasonably lazy and didn't actually check :P
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Cireon
I am also reasonably lazy and didn't actually check :P

Being 'lazy' is often a highly sought-after feature/characteristic/personality trait for engineers/coders ;)

― Albert Einstein
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty
If you know a player that wants to join, you can just ask, send him the link, and he can join the game - that'll reopen it.

But if you wait for ppl to join by themselves - it's been a month, and you don't have the number, so maybe send out some messages or something?

Does this mean that passwords are taken away from games that became too old? Or is there no way to reopen such games? If so, why/could that be changed?

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
AlexCheckMate
Does this mean that passwords are taken away from games that became too old? Or is there no way to reopen such games? If so, why/could that be changed?
You can reopen the game if you know the password. Or if the creator invites you. So there are several ways to reopen such games.

Of course, the fact that they are password protected makes it harder, but that's the point of putting a password on a game, now isn't it?