– from among the ones you already purchased
  • 23 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
vikingo1337 wrote:
At the moment you can only get promoted and demoted automatically. Meaning that, as you get better at the game and purchase higher ranks, you automatically display the top rank – until you lose it or purchase an even higher rank.

In effect, players who have taken a fancy to a lower rank after they got promoted, or players who wish to abandon the rank system altogether and become a private again, are currently unable to backtrack, as the ranking system is fully automated.

So here’s a suggestion to remedy that: Give us the option to select the rank we wish to display, at any given time, from among the ones we already purchased. Then anyone who wishes to ‘go back in time’ can do so without having to lose a ton of games first.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
ProblemChild96 wrote:
Its just my opinion but I think this is a terrible idea, I personally don't think rank should be optional and think that ranks shouldn't have to be purchased (if you achive the rating you deserve the rank). After all the ranking system does give extra incentive to win.
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
Cireon wrote:
I am actually with ProblemChild here. I'm a big fan of just proceeding in the ranks automatically, because it means free players can use their tokens to play more games. The main reason people didn't like that is because they wanted to hide their actual rank in games, because they felt noobs would target them more because of their higher ranks. Now that you can hide your rank, it's no longer necessary to just stick to the private rank. I don't think your actual rank should be something you choose. If you care about vanity, you can buy premium and choose the colour.

Personally, I think we should either show your actual rank, or no rank at all, but we shouldn't try to implyfalse information by letting players choose their rank.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
This is a discussion that is really quite old. I believe I was one of the main opponents of automatic ranking. I'm not so much against it anymore now (especially now we have the unranked thing where you can just hide your rank), so if someone wants to program automatic rank switch and no token cost, I'm alright with that.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
maafi wrote:
I agree with ProblemChlld and Cireon. But personally, I'd go further and remove the ability to hide rank. I've never liked that option.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
maafi is online.
GriffinUcos wrote:
I cannot see the point. From the very beginning I knew that not all players displayed their actual rank. It's easy to look up their actual rating from the information tab.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."
Dima wrote:
i agree with maafi and PC96. make ranks mandatory!
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
vikingo1337 wrote:
Well, that backfired. Although I think that calling the suggestion a 'terrible idea' is a bit over the top.

I suggested this because I am puzzled as to why players cannot downgrade their rank. Not for reasons of 'vanity', or whatever else you may think.

Recently, I also noticed that a lot of players stick to a certain rank and then don't upgrade it any further despite being able to. Others have never upgraded it at all, perhaps to 'go under the radar'. So yeah, I saw it as signs that some people perhaps have a special sentiment towards a special rank that is not necessarily the one picked by the system. So this idea would allow them to turn back time, as I said, if they change their mind later.

As for the 'hidden rank' thing, it don't think it is very useful. People can still check your rank in your profile. Or check the 'Player ranks' menu.

As for the 'unranked' thing, I don't know how you get that (premium I guess?), but it does offer an interesting alternative for sure.
~Fafnismal 28
dough_boy wrote:
If you are unranked I would think that your rank shouldn't appear on the site ever, doesn't matter the page. So if someone can bypass this by looking at your profile I think it is a glitch.
vikingo1337 wrote:
Being 'unranked' is not the same as having a 'hidden rank', to the best of my knowledge. The former offers complete rank anonymity everywhere on the site, the latter only hides your rank in the games. You can still lose rating in both cases though, as far as I know. Anyway, that whole discussion is probably for another time. I was just curious.
~Fafnismal 28
ProblemChild96 wrote:
 I really don't think calling it a terrible idea is over the top, your idea would allow top players to disguise themselves as low rank player (of course not everyone would be fooled but new players probably would be).

I agree with maafi about the hide rank option, Ive never liked that option either.
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
vikingo1337 wrote:
Then by all means keep doing it, PC, if you believe that is an appropriate way to respond to suggestions you dislike.
~Fafnismal 28
ProblemChild96 wrote:
I really didn't mean to offend you vikingo1337, im sure we will find subjects to agree on in the future. That said im not going to apologize for stating my opinion. After all the forums are here for discussion so members can both support and oppose suggestions.
elysium5 wrote:
I think vikingo1337 was just trying to come up with an idea to fix a problem that we have with the method of hiding/choosing ranks that is currently flawed, which is a good thing as it keeps everyone talking.

I don't think it was a terrible idea at all. In my opinion, it is an improvement on the current system so it is actually a very good idea but I don't like the way it works now myself so even an improvement as suggested still doesn't make me like the way it works now any better.

My personal preference is the same as maafi but it would be a hard sell to some people so I am quite happy with Cireon's take. It provides some flexibility and is probably the fairest solution. I am in full support.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Blagoje_Jovovic wrote:
cireon : The main reason people didn't like that is because they wanted to hide their actual rank in games, because they felt noobs would target them more because of their higher ranks. Now that you can hide your rank, it's no longer necessary to just stick to the private rank.
it's true, while I had a private rank and 3000 points, I still won, when I bought only a lieutenant, everything stopped, everyone just kills you because of the rank, and that some rank, but for many the lieutenant is also unattainable.
after that I played another 50 games and I moved only 40 points more, it has a huge connection with whether you have a rank or not, if I had stayed private I would have gone much further, and many are not even able to come to warrant, I know why this is so but if I said then I would certainly violate one of the rules of the d12 site so I will not say anything more than that.
and I like the idea of ​​vikingo1337, so it would be less striking and would make more sense, part of the strategy as well.

“Vital lives are about action. You can't feel warmth unless you create it, can't feel delight until you play, can't know serendipity unless you risk.”