It should take us to the last page, not the first
  • 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
vikingo1337 wrote:
Whenever you receive a message from someone, you get an email that says as much. In the email is also a URL that takes you to the message, unless...

...the message is part of an old thread with a lot of messages in it. In that case, the email's URL still takes you to the first page of said thread, thereby displaying a bunch of old messages to you that you have already read – instead of the last page with the unread message that you came for. In order to read the new message, you therefore have to click on the last page. Every time.

Don't get me wrong, it can be useful (and nostalgic) to have all messages to and from a player in the same thread, but clicking the last page every time you get a new message from that player... is not quite as fun as it used to be.

Could an easy fix be to change the URL, so that it takes you straight to the unread message(s)? Without having to create a new thread.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
Cireon wrote:
Good suggestion! Not sure how easy it'll be and how fast we'll get to it though.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dough_boy wrote:
Better yet, why not have the thread be in reverse order? Newest to oldest? I am always wanting to come see the newest and constantly have to scroll down or go to another page.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
I'm very much interested in these suggestions here.

I might be one of the (few?) people who prefer to have/keep one thread of messages per person. That said, I've gone over 1,000 messages in 1 thread and I suppose it can become a bit of a nuisance for others (I've already heard these sounds :p)

dough_boys solution sounds quite straightforward
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
Personally I find reading down to up very unintuitive, especially if I need to read a thread with long posts since you end up scrolling up and down a lot.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dough_boy wrote:
Cireon
Personally I find reading down to up very unintuitive, especially if I need to read a thread with long posts since you end up scrolling up and down a lot.

It could be a setting. "Forum/Message reading order". Oldest to newest, newest to oldest.

It takes away the need to figure out how to easily jump to the end all the time. For me at least I only need the last few messages which would be at the top.

Having it as a setting would allow for choice and not force the change on anyone who didn't want it.
jr502 wrote:
I think having the email notification contain a link directly to the new message (regardless of sort order on message threads) is a great idea.
Matty wrote:
The message url should like you to the first unread message now.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria