pause/end
  • 6 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Hoodlum wrote:
In the tournament page where you can pause a game, is it possible to pause a fog game without it revealing? @programmers

it might be tempting for a tournament organizer to get a sneaky advantage if noone is paying attention to the gamelog and they are in the tournament themselves.

i know ending a game is just a permanent pause for unfinished games, however, a game attendant or staff member can accidentally/deliberately restart a game and wreck points, win/loss stats etc so i think it's best to actually have an end game function aswell as a pause (pause not revealing fog games or targets for assassination games if it reveals that in pause mode
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, well spotted, Hood.

We got an issue there, I mean 2 issues in 1 actually.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
Is it really necessary to build in a programmatic solution? Sounds to me like for tournament organisers we should have an honour system. If a tournament organiser abuses their powers, who would want to play in their future tournaments?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Instead of pausing such a game could you just extend the timer to something really high and tell the player not to take their turn?
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Hoodlum wrote:
Virtuosity98
Instead of pausing such a game could you just extend the timer to something really high and tell the player not to take their turn?
yeah that's the work around.

Cireon
Is it really necessary to build in a programmatic solution? Sounds to me like for tournament organisers we should have an honour system. If a tournament organiser abuses their powers, who would want to play in their future tournaments?

if that's too hard to implement then that's what will have to be done. i'm not a programmer so i wouldn't know how much of a task it is, i thought i gave you an easy one :)

forgot to mention that it's not only for that reason probably the best reason tho..
but there are other scenarios useful for the tournament organizer.
ie..-it takes a long time sometimes to fill a tournament..and a long time to set them up...by the time it's filled, some players that signed up are inactive, but everyones waited so long already and the tournament organizer just wants to get the hard part outta the way to get the games set up..enter all the players, choose their colours which all has to be done manually..
at the moment..i always do the workout that virt mentioned..i'll add a lot of time to a game for when a player doesn't yet know the tournament has started. (first turn only) but it's another effort to monitor it that way, but pausing a game is a solution..except for FOG games
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
The_Bishop wrote:
My concern is not only about tournaments, for which we can certainly/probably have trusted people, but above all about this:
Hoodlum
i know ending a game is just a permanent pause for unfinished games, however, a game attendant or staff member can accidentally/deliberately restart a game and wreck points, win/loss stats etc so i think it's best to actually have an end game function aswell as a pause (pause not revealing fog games or targets for assassination games if it reveals that in pause mode

However, I don't think that a "end-for-good" function is the right solution, because in this case we would have the opposite risk, that is, a staff could accidentally/deliberately suspend forever a game that was taking place regularly.
So I would like to suggest:
1. Games suspended for more than a month can no longer be reactivated in any way.
2. Games suspended for less than a month can be reactivated, however, there should be a request for confirmation from the system, in order to increase the level of security.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein