What is the absolute limit?
  • 24 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Everyone starts a game (in which cards are activated) with 0 cards and can just attack to go from 0 up to 5 cards (gain 1 card in each turn that you conquer at least 1 territory).

When eliminations are in place, even numbers beyond 5 are possible (at the start of every turn, you are asked if you want to turn in a set (if you have that availability), if you start a turn at 5c or more, you are forced to turn in to get to <5c before you're allowed to continue with your turn again).

Now I'm wondering what is the maximum number of cards a person can obtain with these rules in place? What's the highest you've ever seen/encountered yourself? What is the theoretical ceiling and is the game coded in such a manner that it won't give issues if a higher number is acquired?

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Well, you can't attack if you have 5 cards (you have to turn in first), so the most cards you can have in a normal game is 9: kill someone that has 5 cards while you have 4. You can't get more, because you have to turn in the cards before you can kill another player.

This is rather boring, so let's consider same times games.

So let's say we have a 9 player game. Same time turns.
A player with 4 cards kills a different player with 5 cards, so she has 9 cards. Then he does nothing but wait.
Now a 3rd player with 4 cards (remember, the second player is dead) kills the player with 9, he now has 13 cards. Then she waits.
A 4th player kills the previous, netting him 17.
So in a 9 player game you could hold at most 4*8+5 = 37 cards.

You can't turn these cards in anymore though, because you've just won B| The most cards you can turn in is 33.

You can also theoretically get in this situation in normal games by holding 9 cards and then let the timer run out.

I can't think of a way to get more cards.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Why do you distinguish between consecutive and same time for getting the max? Isn't such a max (and even higher) not also possible with the consecutive turns?

Anyway - I guess this means the game/server isn't coded in such a way that it would get an error with cards that exceed 9?

*edit... you editted this part in :P :

You can also theoretically get in this situation in normal games by holding 9 cards and then let the timer run out.

So if indeed you got 9 cards => timer runs out => you'll have 10.
Get eliminated by someone who had 4 => that player has 14 => times out => 15
=> etc
yes?
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Well, in consecutive games once you have 9 cards you have to turn them in before ending your turn, so no one can kill you and take your 9.

Unless you let the timer run out (which I thought of only later).

AlexCheckMate
Anyway - I guess this means the game/server isn't coded in such a way that it would get an error with cards that exceed 9?
Nope, the game doesn't care.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty
Well, in consecutive games once you have 9 cards you have to turn them in before ending your turn, so no one can kill you and take your 9.

Unless you let the timer run out (which I thought of only later).

I realise it's all rather "just theory" - but I figured it is something which might occur and be useful in specific occasions in team games.

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
AlexCheckMate
*edit... you editted this part in
Yes, I tend to post stuff, then read it through again and then want to add things to it. Bad habit of mine.

AlexCheckMate
So if indeed you got 9 cards => timer runs out => you'll have 10.
Get eliminated by someone who had 4 => that player has 14 => times out => 15
=> etc
yes?
Good point, that way you can get up to 5*8+4=44 cards. Or turn in 39 cards after killing 7 players each holding 5 (and have 4 yourself).

AlexCheckMate
I realise it's all rather "just theory" - but I figured it is something which might occur and be useful in specific occasions in team games.
It's just a fun puzzle to think about :pirate:
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Matty
Well, you can't attack if you have 5 cards (you have to turn in first), so the most cards you can have in a normal game is 9: kill someone that has 5 cards while you have 4. You can't get more, because you have to turn in the cards before you can kill another player.

This is rather boring, so let's consider same times games.

So let's say we have a 9 player game. Same time turns.
A player with 4 cards kills a different player with 5 cards, so she has 9 cards. Then he does nothing but wait.
Now a 3rd player with 4 cards (remember, the second player is dead) kills the player with 9, he now has 13 cards. Then she waits.
A 4th player kills the previous, netting him 17.
So in a 9 player game you could hold at most 4*8+5 = 41 cards.

You can't turn these cards in anymore though, because you've just won B| The most cards you can turn in is 36.

I can't think of a way to get more cards.

I think you can get to 44 cards in normal 9 player games if you let the timer run out:
Player H with 4 cards kills player I with 5 cards: 9 cards. Time expires: 10 cards.
G with 4 cards kills I with 10 cards: 14 cards. Time expires: 15 cards.
F with 4 cards kills G with 15 cards: 19 cards. Time expires: 20 cards.
E with 4 cards kills F with 20 cards: 24 cards. Time expires: 25 cards.
D with 4 cards kills E with 25 cards: 29 cards. Time expires: 30 cards.
C with 4 cards kills D with 30 cards: 34 cards. Time expires: 35 cards.
B with 4 cards kills C with 35 cards: 39 cards. Time expires: 40 cards.
A with 4 cards kills B with 40 cards: 44 cards.
Game over :o
EDIT: Matty beat me to it :/

I just wonder how all these cards would fit on the screen ^^ both horizontally in the list and vertically in the turn-in pop up :D
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

farspaceplace wrote:
Matty...u used she/he interchangeably in your first explanation. I think the word ur looking for is "hen" - if ur swedish at least. He - She - and Hen.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty is Dutch :p Noticed his s/he thing too... no clue what happened...
Did you however also note that his math was a tad.... odd? 4x8+5=41?

Having received the answer, I'm now very intrigued to try it out! :)
Who would want to play such a 9p game with me? :)

We could get it cancelled thereafter - don't need 8 unlucky ones =d

*edit

1) AlexCheckMate
2) ...
3) ...
4) ...
5) ...
6) ...
7) ...
8) ...
9) ...

Please copy the list above^ and add your name if you wish to help :)

― Albert Einstein
maafi wrote:
Why not?
1) AlexCheckMate
2) maafi
3) Matty
4) ...
5) ...
6) ...
7) ...
8) ...
9) ...
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Add me please :):)

1) AlexCheckMate
2) maafi
3) Matty
4) Virtuosity98
5) ...
6) ...
7) ...
8) ...
9) ...
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Anaxagore wrote:
you guys have some weird hobbies lol

though you can count me in if you need someone for your experiment and the game is later deleted :)
Fendi wrote:
The Matrix won't be happy when they find out about this..
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Anaxagore
you guys have some weird hobbies lol

though you can count me in if you need someone for your experiment and the game is later deleted :)

Ghehe, I realise it's somewhat uncommon =D
The idea got inspired by this game: https://dominating12.com/game/987629 - V98 is now starting his turn on 9c - I could've taken him out with my own set to get his cards... but that wouldn't be useful really, as we're in the same team - but it's a cool thought.

IRT Fendi

The Architect has planned this.

― Albert Einstein
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Game is starting to fill: https://dominating12.com/game/994777

1) AlexCheckMate
2) maafi
3) Matty
4) Virtuosity98
5) Anaxagore
6) ...
7) ...
8) ...
9) ...

― Albert Einstein