• 6 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
dough_boy wrote:
I posted this in another thread but it was suggested that it be its own thread.

dough_boy
I think when people are not invested (premium members) their reason for staying is much less. You have to really want to play strategy games (and often). We did just go through the holidays so I am sure some just didn't have time.

I just did a quick audit and came up with:

• I did a search for "risk strategy game online" and d12 shows up towards the lower bottom of the second page, apparently after a lot of competitors as well as before general information.
  • I looked at the SEO tagging and there is just nothing good about it. For instance there is no h1 tag in use on the home page. There are also no og tags for social sharing, etc.
  • The description of every page is the same. Each page should have a different descriptive text.
  • The h1s on secondary pages should be "better". For instance the "How to play" page should be "How to play risk online {at d12}" with the {} optional
  • There doesn't appear to be a facebook page for d12. Doesn't have to be anything special, but it allows for people to like and their friends to see the like, etc.
  • Lastly, I am not sure the name "Dominating 12" screams open and inviting. If you first come here do you think that there are 12 people that just beat up on everyone else? It seems like the d12 should be the monthly list, but the name & branding of the site should be more focused around game, strategy, etc.

Also I know it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that every month or so when a new list comes out it isn't who is truly dominating that month, but more so what "old" member is still playing. Maybe new people come, dominate, then see after putting in a month of hard work they are no where close to being recognized.

On top of this you can be one of the dominating 12, but if you are 10+ it doesn't mean anything. Almost like if you make the list you should have an icon that follows you, etc.
dough_boy wrote:
In comment to the FB item (#5) it would be a good place to post new tournaments, share the new D12 leaderboard, etc.
Cireon wrote:
For 2:
This site was built by people who at the time didn't know much about SEO so yeah, the tagging can probably be better in many places. It's something that will slowly get better over time, though if you have any specific things you think should be changed and are easy to do, they can be looked into.
What are og tags?

For 3:
This isn't very hard to do, but it means coming up with a text for every page that is also good from an SEO perspective. If a group wanted to band together and come up with descriptions for pages, I'd be happy to go and copy them into the code.

For 4:
Same as above: if there are specific suggestions that people can agree with, I'm happy to copy them in.

The other points are out of my (direct) control.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Fendi wrote:
dough_boy
5. There doesn't appear to be a facebook page for d12. Doesn't have to be anything special, but it allows for people to like and their friends to see the like, etc.
We have a page. facebook.com/DominatingTwelve and is updated, but sporadically. Hoodlum has done a good job at keeping it alive but we always welcome those who would like to help.
dough_boy wrote:
Cireon
What are og tags?

They are open graph tags that are used for sharing. This is helpful.

Fendi
We have a page. facebook.com/DominatingTwelve and is updated, but sporadically. Hoodlum has done a good job at keeping it alive but we always welcome those who would like to help.

Ah, sorry, I was searching for dominating 12 and it wasn't coming up. A simple solution for this would be to add a link somewhere on the site to the facebook page with maybe a facebook chicklet. Something else that could really help is if when registering and verifying your account, we put the facebook widget on that page. It would enable people to like the page.

For the other things I have some time coming up and I will go do a page by page audit and provide recommendations for SEO optimizations.
elysium5 wrote:
That would be very helpful, dough
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."