Increase balkan bonus
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Dima wrote:
Hi,

if look at the map mentioned above, you will see that the bonus for both balkan territories is too low. It seem to be okay, that each of the two territories has a bonus of 1, but if you count the two territories together, they will give you only a bonus of 2; so you are holding 6 countries and getting a bonus of just 2 troops... sounds like not enough for me.

The problem is even more visible if you compare the balkan bonus with territories like north agypt or east turkey. In both cases you have a bonus of 2 per round, just for holding 3-4 regions.

Its true, that in case of north agypt you have to guard all of the three regions, but nonetheless its not enough to make up for the bonus gap.... yes, you have to gouard only 2 regions to get the balkan bonus, but remember first you had to counquer 6 regions.... 6 regions just to get a bonus of 2 troops.... its just not enough.

so how about increasing the bonus for balkans to 3 or even 4, if you hold both balkan territories? This would balance the territories between each other and also balance the ratio pay off/effort ratio for conquering balkans. At the moment it just isnt that profitable. if you continue the comparison, you will see that territories with 4 regions, such as the ones in north africa, will give you a bonus of 3... 3 troops only for 4 regions. this is just another case of how low the balkan bonus is and how unprofitable it is to hold it in comparison to other territories.

"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
Dima wrote:
Cuz nobody replied and because the main topic of the quoted thread deals with another problem of the map.
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
ProblemChild96 wrote:
I think the bonus are fine the way they are
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
Dima wrote:
why? if you campare them to other bonuses, they seem a big to low and the regions arent profitable
dough_boy wrote:
As explained, as individual regions they make sense as 1's. As soon as you offer another bonus for holding both it changes the gameplay.

I am fine with it as is.
Dima wrote:
Yeah, as individual regions they do make sense. But putting them together snd having only 2 bonus doesnt make sense.

You can keep that 1 bonus for a region, adding my implementation doesnt change this.
hooboy11 wrote:
Perhaps a +1 bonus for holding both? I would be fine with that. Truthfully I'm not attracted to those bonuses right now. I've never atriculated my thoughts on it before but you do make a compelling case as to how undervalued they are.
aeronautic wrote:
Everyone agrees that the Balkan regions, as individual regions, are fair at 1 bonus each.

I believe that, to utilise them as a Super-Region is still fair at 2.
Here's why; because they offer a 2 bonus for only having to defend 2 borders, whereas the Suez region offers a 2 bonus for having to defend 3 borders.

You will all agree that spreading valuable troop reinforcement over more territories every turn is costly to your concentrated firepower and also reduces the defence of a region, so this is as big a factor as, more territories to conquer to obtain the bonus.

So it's not just about the territory count that bonuses are decided on, it's also other things like, how defensible they are and whether or not they obstruct essential paths to other parts of the map, which will guarantee that they will be attacked and broken, making them bad choices of regions to camp in.

On creation, the map fluidity and connectivity are important when deciding which regions are viable & defensible and therefore how much bonus they should offer.
On playing, the map fluidity can change completely due to the drop, making otherwise difficult regions to take and hold, become easy to do so and at this point, it might seem to a player that the Super-Region gift that just manifested, doesn't give enough bonus for its size.

We use the rules & numbers to determine bonuses, but sometimes you have to factor in other things to truly know what the bonus value should be, regardless of what the numbers say. For example, there have been occasions where we have discussed setting unique values to regions on some suggested new maps and even privately debated a bonus of 10 and other ridiculous values, because of their complete lack of defence, which is like saying to the players, "if you want to spend your whole game trying to conquer and hold this region, you deserve and will need, this bonus", but we cannot do that, just in case someone gets the Perfect Drop.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.