By the bulk
  • 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Welcome readers,

Just a minute ago, I was sending out some invites and figured... "This can be done easier!" - I've got this game where I have a bottom rating limit for people to be eligible to join in. Why not have a button that I can press and that executes: "Invite everyone above X rating to this game" ?

Would be rather convenient and I hope not too hard to develop.

Thx,

-Alex

PS - this is said game: https://dominating12.com/game/952783 - feel free to join!
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
so ... are you asking for a button to automatically spam everyone?
If you want everyone to join your game, just open the game and wait for ppl to join?

Inviting is there to invite specific people that you'd really want to play with.

The thing is, the easier we make it for you to spam notify everyone, the easier it is for everyone to notify everyone. Resulting in everyone ignoring (or hopefully disabeling) the invite notifications and now the whole invite process is useless for everyone.

Unless I'm missing something here.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty
so ... are you asking for a button to automatically spam everyone?
If you want everyone to join your game, just open the game and wait for ppl to join?

Inviting is there to invite specific people that you'd really want to play with.

The thing is, the easier we make it for you to spam notify everyone, the easier it is for everyone to notify everyone. Resulting in everyone ignoring (or hopefully disabeling) the invite notifications and now the whole invite process is useless for everyone.

Unless I'm missing something here.

Didn't think of it in that way - guess it makes sense too and would indeed open up the option to work extremely detrimental instead of positive ;<
I tend to have a positive outlook on just about anything and I guess I as such missed the idea in which this could lead to an unwanted effect >_>

I generally do indeed just wait and that normally works out fine too. When games are >10days old however, I get somewhat anxious and feel they get missed/people do not notice them - that's when I start 'spamming' invites. RIght now, there's 146 LT games waiting for players - it's not too hard for people to miss a certain game...

A good example would be this game of mine: https://dominating12.com/game/952301

19 Nov, 17:42:10 Game started.
19 Nov, 17:42:10 lazer36 joined the game.
19 Nov, 11:41:03 dwcalvert joined the game.
19 Nov, 08:07:56 OldDogGen joined the game.
19 Nov, 08:02:27 Jimi joined the game.
19 Nov, 05:41:13 maafi joined the game.
19 Nov, 03:46:52 alphax211 joined the game.
19 Nov, 03:21:25 UltrasPlot left the game.
19 Nov, 03:21:08 UltrasPlot joined the game.
19 Nov, 01:24:29 k0canada613 joined the game.
02 Nov, 22:32:33 AlexCheckMate joined the game.
02 Nov, 22:32:33 Game created.

I didn't send out any invites till the 19th (or 18th?) of November. When I however did, it filled up quickly and nicely. Not sure whether people feel as if I spammed them, but I can say noone send me a message saying it bothered them.

*Edit
Then perhaps maybe a (premium?) feature to make groups (other than just 'add as friend';) and the ability to invite a group of people (perhaps limit to 10? 20?) to a game?
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
AlexCheckMate
Didn't think of it in that way
With the risk of being dramatic and offtopic: noone does nowadays. There's all these apps that keep notifying you about 'important things' (ehem) and now noone sees anything anymore unless they're hit in the face with it :S

It works, but now the really important things get missed... Ok, so we'll make those red... and now the facebook 'theres a new post' icon is also red... (S)

UX is hard.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
jr502 wrote:
I can't find any documentation about how "invites" actually work from the recipient point of view. 
Do invitees get anything more than something on their screen if already logged in? If they are not logged in, do they get notified at all? If not, is this something we could do?
Thanks.
Cireon wrote:
We only send a notification when that user gets online.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
vikingo1337 wrote:
It may well be perceived as spam, yes. But it could also get games started faster. Three ways to tweak it:

1) Add a third option in the 'Invite settings' menu where you'd agree to get invites by the bulk. Naturally, deselected as default so you'd have to opt in.

and/or

2) Invites are transferred to a dedicated folder in the 'Messages' menu, so they wouldn't be right in your face to obscure your view, but on-demand.

and/or

3) Add a new menu where you can sign up for 'Invite lists' from other players similar to signing up for a newsletter. Again, you'd opt in – not out.

Otherwise you'd probably end up getting a lot of fan mail, Alex. And not in a good way.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28