Southern France deserves a +2
  • 6 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
vikingo1337 wrote:
Long story short, the Southern France region on the map 'Mediterranean States' should yield a +2 bonus instead of only a +1. It has five border regions, more than most other +1 regions, and it needs to have all three of its territories fortified in order to keep it secure. Besides, the weather is great down there, and so is the food.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Agreed. In this map:

Mediterranean States map (click to show)

The regions of southern France (currently gives a +1) and northern Egypt (currently a +2) are actually 'identical' when comparing them strategically.
They both:

• contain 3 territories
  • have 3 territories which act as borders
  • have 5 territories at the regions border

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Hoodlum
yeah i think you are correct about that calculation.

http://tournament.x10host.com/bonuscalculator.html

I did not know about this tool - nifty! :D

Then went a bit through the forum and came accross the following post:

https://dominating12.com/forums/3/map-creation/461/mediterranean-states/post/4304#post-4304
Vexer
First and foremost, thank you, thank you, thank you to Paddlin. We definitely needed help getting the capitals figured out. I love it when people step up and contribute rather than just consume consume consume.

I will take a look at your suggestions later, they may need slight modification because I like ikenslays idea of adding a connection. However I think that the connection should be from NE Libya to Greece instead of NE Libya to SW Turkey. West Turkey is already hard enough to defend.

@noxon, we thought about making an extra bonus for owning of all say Libya but it was hard to think of a way to tell users that on the map itself. Also, it would give France a huge advantage if there was an extra bonus.

Speaking of France, with South France being worth 2, it becomes too much of an advantage because if you hold all of France then you get +5 while only having to defend 2 territories. So I will change the bonus for South France to 1. I will also take Noxon's suggestion and change the bonus for N. Egypt to +2. If it's not right, we can easily change something like that later.

@votazap, I was not a fan of the background color at first either, but it grew on me. I modified the colors of the territories to go with the background so I think we are going to keep it. That being said, pntbttr, you are welcome to change the background at any time in the future if you make an improvement. For now, we will go ahead with it as is.

I was pleasantly surprised by all the useful feedback. There had been a shortage of it. Thank you all.

It seems it was first a 2, but then changed to a 1, as a complete France would otherwise be overpowered (OP). Which is indeed a real thing, especially in games with fewer player (say..... 5 or less?) - an option could be to connect Milan to Burgundy (then you could still hold Milan + Acquitane or Catalonia for just 2 borders, but it would probably be harder to have Milan.., people wanting to have Italy.. and it makes Italy 'harder' to have)? - anyway... yeah... I guess that means I'm more neutral in the suggestion now =p (sorry for the confusion I spread :D)

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Dima wrote:
keep 1, its okay.

another suggestion/question: is it possible to get a 3+ bonus when holding the complete balkan, from slovenia to greece? Cuz when you hold both territories, then you only get 2+, its not enough for 6 territories. Sucks, balkans is one of the least profitable regions....

"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
Dima is online.
Matty wrote:
Yeah, my opinion as well. If you look at the region by itself it should be 2, but if you look at the bigger picture, 1 is probably more fair.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria