...it's just annoying :<
  • 5 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
AlexCheckMate wrote:
I often write something to which I add something in parentheses which also gets an emoticon at the end.

To give an example:

18 Oct, 19:45 AlexCheckMate: (but...... we'll have to see what orange does, to see whether plans need to be changed :<;)
18 Oct, 19:45 AlexCheckMate: i'm bothered by smileys going wrong
18 Oct, 19:45 AlexCheckMate: :< )
18 Oct, 19:45 AlexCheckMate: :<;)
18 Oct, 19:45 AlexCheckMate: it's just wrong

The " ; " in front of the " ) " is NOT typed by me... it just gets added :< (this can be seen by quoting/copy pasting)

The difference between these two lines here - with respect to what I actually did differently - is JUST a space; nothing else.

18 Oct, 19:45 AlexCheckMate: :< )
18 Oct, 19:45 AlexCheckMate: :<;)

I'd be very pleased if this could get corrected.

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
This is because < is changed to a different set of characters internally that end with a ;. Not sure how easy this is to fix.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Easy solution: add a space in between a `<>` followed by one of `()[]{}` :P
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
Cireon
This is because < is changed to a different set of characters internally that end with a ;. Not sure how easy this is to fix.
Don't encode them on saving and instead encode them when displaying (after processing for any emoticons).
Matty wrote:
dough_boy
Don't encode them on saving and instead encode them when displaying (after processing for any emoticons).
Pretty sure we already do that. The problem is, we encode them in place, so when we process the final string, we first replace the < with & lt ; , put these in the final string, and then continue on parsing.

Hmmmm, now I say that, we should probably continue on parsing from the index difference, rather then were we left off.
But then again, how do you parse tags inside tags...

:/
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria