When you accidentally end your turn prematurely
  • 11 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
vikingo1337 wrote:
I think it’s high time D12 enables this.

I often play D12 on my way to and from somewhere, and sometimes I accidentally end my turn. Maybe I don’t have as good an overview of the map on my phone, or maybe I double-tab the button by mistake.

The result is the same: you end your turn prematurely, and there is no coming back from that.

By enabling players to reopen their turn temporarily after the turn has been ended – for a few minutes only – you avoid costly mistakes that are the result of a fluke. In turn, a player is given a second chance to remedy his mistake. Kind of like the option to edit this post expires after a short while.

I think this tweak would result in happier players overall. It’s very frustrating to end a turn the wrong way and then wait for days or even weeks to do something about it. So if anything can be done about it straight away, like reopening a turn temporarily, then that would be the right move going forward.

Thoughts?
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
AlexCheckMate wrote:
I agree that it can be very annoying. However, I do not think there's anything that can be done against/about it...

What about the knowledge you gain from already knowing what card you're going to gain (or get a new random one again?)?
What if, especially in live games, the next player already started his/her turn?

As such, I somewhat love the idea (I too have occasions where I'd wish to go back and alter something...) , but (at this time) can't think of a way to implement it without creating more/other issues.

Looking forward to read more views though; perhaps someone else can think of something ingenious =)

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
vikingo1337 wrote:
That’s an easy fix, Alex. You just suspend the distribution of cards for X minutes after someone ends a turn. Essentially it would be a completely separate timer in between the two normal 24h timers. Like a cooling-off period.

D12 used to have a timer that lasted for an hour after you started your turn. If you didn’t finish your turn before the hour was over, the timer automatically did it for you. I see no reason why the same method cannot be applied here – only this time the extra timer is added after the turn has been completed, and not during the completion of said turn.

I messed up a game of mine this morning because I was on my way to work and had to rush things. Basically a week-long game down the drain in just a few seconds. Very frustrating.
~Fafnismal 28
dough_boy wrote:
You used to have an hour, but it was silly because I technically had 24 hours to complete a turn...
Matty wrote:
So, we've done our best to make sure that if you go to the fortification phase, that you can go back to attack (until you actually fortify of course).

But reversing an ended turn is harder. Emails get sent that a new turn is there, cards given, cached/pending gamestates get saved for real, all those things.
Can't you just review your turn while not hitting the end turn button?

The only thing I can think of now is to have some sort of 'end turn' button that doesn't actually ends your turn, but just adds it to a queue for a minute later or something to then (really) end your turn. But that's a very difficult thing for something as simple as 'I clicked too early because I was tired'.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
vikingo1337 wrote:
Thank you for all your replies.

I think your solution sounds very similar to mine, Matty. Delaying the things you mention, for a minute or two (or three? the timer from live games comes to mind), would probably fix the issue. Not least since the penny usually drops right after you finish a turn in most of these situations.

The only other alternative I can think of myself is to get into the habit of not finishing my turns at all if there is any doubt whatsoever. I may then log on later, or I may not if I forget and/or can't spare the time to re-assess my move.

In the case of the latter, my decision will delay the game for all other players – and to be honest, the 24h delay is bad enough as it is (12h games would be interesting in my opinion, but that's for another day).

So yeah. Easier said than done, but a delayed "End turn"-button could be the way to go.
~Fafnismal 28
vikingo1337 wrote:
This threat is still very much relevant. Did everyone forget about it?
~Fafnismal 28
Cireon wrote:
Matty's concern that this is really complicated to implement is also still very much relevant ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
vikingo1337 wrote:
Fair enough. So where does that leave us?

thread*
~Fafnismal 28
Cireon wrote:
That it is unlikely that this will happen.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
GriffinUcos wrote:
Game 944036

Just before the end of the game I intended to make a fortification move. Selected to and from and 20 in the drop down. Either I moved my hand or was just plain dumb, but I hit finish turn rather than move. (Original UI).
I doubt it affected my outcome much, I was on the backfoot from the start. My concern isn't my bad move rather the impact it could have had on the other two players.

I know it's above and beyond but a confirm button might help noobs like me.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."