Just wish to figure this out
  • 24 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
Hoodlum wrote:
AlexCheckMate
I take it, it's OK to have an account to train people now?

https://dominating12.com/user/85218
https://dominating12.com/game/1308538

Game chat

17 Jun, 14:33 peri-trainer: hey you 
17 Jun, 14:33 Czechmate: hi 
17 Jun, 14:33 LinusG: Hi anyone want to team with me
17 Jun, 14:33 Czechmate: yeah me
17 Jun, 14:37 LinusG: Hi red lets team up on heheheha
17 Jun, 14:37 peri-trainer: lol
17 Jun, 14:37 heheheha: bruh
17 Jun, 14:42 Czechmate: HIHIHI HA
17 Jun, 14:42 LinusG: Red watch out from greenland
17 Jun, 14:47 FearlessSwiftie13: pls dont take im innocent
17 Jun, 14:49 peri-trainer: hello admin! can you change the turn length to 24 hour turns? thanks!
17 Jun, 14:55 peri-trainer: yellow i'll leave ukraine 
17 Jun, 14:56 peri-trainer: onlyif you hit w europe first
17 Jun, 16:12 periwinkle: Hello!  Don't worry about this game...you can ignore it. I was just doing a demo game.
17 Jun, 16:13 periwinkle: Ask hoodlum, maafi, or elysium5 if you are confused.

What exactly are the rules for these accounts now? Just to avoid confusion.
If I stumble upon having some more free time again later; I could also imagine enjoying to teach some.

-Alex

it's not ok for you.
i told periwinkle why it wasn't ok for her either even though she thought it wasn't an issue. even though her reason was innocent, the blunt reaction i gave her about it was because this will give players like alexcheckmate an excuse to avoid losing a heap of points, or a reason to try and learn new game modes without the risk like everyone else. sure enough, you spotted this. i actually forgot about this thread.
im glad i had a chat to periwinkle about it, cause your right on cue.
there was an exception for periwinkle as she explained it was for her students (she's a teacher), and it will be used twice only or something or rather for a class session. again, later on in the year.
but she did not ask initially.
so, there are no exceptions. do not create any new accounts. also refer to post 2. and continue to refer to it. love you

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
periwinkle wrote:
Correction....I did ask initially before I created the account, but I didn't give it enough time for the admin to respond. I'm a trainer on (another site...so everyone knows that) and I was able to just put passwords on it so it was literally a demo account for my students...and I only use it for training purposes...no issues there.  I wanted to try to introduce my students to the game here to the game here. Yes, the account will be used only twice a year for exactly 3 hours and I will give admin a few days noticed.  It will only be used to play against my students which the admin can tell from their IP addresses and referrals. (Hoodlum also has a training account that i could also potentially use for that as well)

I understand from a point farmers perspective like ACM, vik and joe that I would have a great advantage since I have new blood to fest on twice a year for all eternity until I retire. But no, I am advocating for the game and quite frankly warned them about these point farmers as mentioned.....hence why I didn't use my account.  That would be an unfair advantage and created a trainer account just for these occasions. These points farmers really are not good advocates for the game because when a new players is being taken advantage of, that is not cool.....and they dont stick around. It is like a revolving door around here. At our old site, the players there have this jedi/padawan culture....we like to help new player learn and get addicted to the game and stay, which makes it more fun for everyone. You can also be a good advocate too....we team up with team noobs all the time.  Anyway, my latest padawan is a official a jedi master....meet our new dominator and jedi risk master jfults!!! Woo hoo!

Hope that explains it better. So what are you doing Alex to advocate for the game?
Being top dog should come with responsibility....it's the elephant in the room that everyone is talking about.

periwinkle wrote:
Lastly....the only reason Alex would notice this kind of thing is that you are noob hunting.  I figured this would happen soon...lol. Kinda sad really.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
periwinkle
Correction....I did ask initially before I created the account, but I didn't give it enough time for the admin to respond. I'm a trainer on (another site...so everyone knows that) and I was able to just put passwords on it so it was literally a demo account for my students...and I only use it for training purposes...no issues there.  I wanted to try to introduce my students to the game here to the game here. Yes, the account will be used only twice a year for exactly 3 hours and I will give admin a few days noticed.  It will only be used to play against my students which the admin can tell from their IP addresses and referrals. (Hoodlum also has a training account that i could also potentially use for that as well)

I understand from a point farmers perspective like ACM, vik and joe that I would have a great advantage since I have new blood to fest on twice a year for all eternity until I retire. But no, I am advocating for the game and quite frankly warned them about these point farmers as mentioned.....hence why I didn't use my account.  That would be an unfair advantage and created a trainer account just for these occasions. These points farmers really are not good advocates for the game because when a new players is being taken advantage of, that is not cool.....and they dont stick around. It is like a revolving door around here. At our old site, the players there have this jedi/padawan culture....we like to help new player learn and get addicted to the game and stay, which makes it more fun for everyone. You can also be a good advocate too....we team up with team noobs all the time.  Anyway, my latest padawan is a official a jedi master....meet our new dominator and jedi risk master jfults!!! Woo hoo!

Hope that explains it better. So what are you doing Alex to advocate for the game?
Being top dog should come with responsibility....it's the elephant in the room that everyone is talking about.

Did you read my posts in this thread? I'll write some of it again. I've never had multiple accounts and I was only trying to get the rules more clear; the way they're written down now is quite ambiguous:

Site rules
1. No Cheating
There are several things that are classified as cheating on this site. The most common way to cheat is to create multiple accounts and play with both accounts in one game. The Site Administrators catch this pretty easily by checking the Internet Protocol (IP) address of each account. If you are caught doing this, then you will be banned. You are also not allowed to create multiple accounts for the purpose of getting around the 5 free game limit
//still unchanged; I posted a possible change to it too.

I'm perfectly fine with you, or anyone else for that matter, to have multiple amounts for honourable intentions.

I came across your trainer account, because you talked with it in the Live chat of the Live game lobby; then when I read within the game, which I copied here, that it was sanctioned by Hoodlum, I figured it was good to have this open publicly, in case more people would like to contribute to the site.

Here are some games in which I was trying to get people accustomed to the game:

https://dominating12.com/game/904285
https://dominating12.com/game/911805
https://dominating12.com/game/912279
https://dominating12.com/game/913581 - this one was a complete failure, lol
https://dominating12.com/game/916320 - I didn't finish this one anymore... forgot I had it open.

Note that I'm taking a rather passive stance; people already made their own choice to join this website to play risk; I'm just trying to make them understand how it works through the interface here. If any tactical questions pop up; I'll of course also gladly go into them for as far as my capabilities stretch. Just assuming that that'll be of secondary concern; first need them to understand how to play (there are, in my opinion, too many people who quit playing, before even really playing); how to get better will come after, if they wish to.

I know that when I joined, I made quite some silly mistakes which I wouldn't have, if I knew about them (I'm solely talking about the interface/game mechanics related errors here). Could possibly help others out with that.

Note also that I didn't get another account for this (I started doing this before thinking of that possibility; I researched the option after already starting like this).

It's a shame you wish to see negativity.

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
periwinkle wrote:
My apologies.....I was not aware plus I'm not into snooping. I had nothing to go by except for your past track record.  And you snooping on my students which I knew you would happen to find. I guess I won't bring them here?  That's ok...I had my teachable moment with my students now. Thanks Alex for helping out. :)
Matty wrote:
AlexCheckMate
... I posted a possible change to it too ...
As your posts are quite long I don't really read them, but I accidentally saw these words and looked up your change.

Maybe something like this is better? That way the 'I read everything litterally' people are satisfied and the 'I want an explanation why' people as well?

Old
The most common way to cheat is to create multiple accounts and play with both accounts in one game. The Site Administrators catch this pretty easily by checking the Internet Protocol (IP) address of each account. If you are caught doing this, then you will be banned. You are also not allowed to create multiple accounts for the purpose of getting around the 5 free game limit.

New
The most common way to cheat is to create multiple accounts. For example to play with both accounts in one game or to get around the 5 free game limit. The Site Administrators catch this pretty easily by checking the Internet Protocol (IP) address of each account. If you are caught doing this you will be banned.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
elysium5 wrote:
ACM, it is your persistence on the subject that is annoying others. You are not accepting the answer to your request is a big NO.

You want to be able to protect your points and you have been told that if you want to set up training games, you could do it with the caveat that points could be returned after. That should be enough and put an end to the repeated posts.

I help and play with new players all the time. I answer questions, I play with them and help with strategies, questions, concerns, etc.

I try to teach them how to play a fun, fair, respectful and competitive game.

I could easily argue that as an Admin, I should have a trainer account as well as I do this all the time...if maintaining my rank was my highest priority on the site.

It is not.

Playing a fun, fair, respectful and competitive game is and trying to make sure other site members, both new and old, have that same experience is a priority for me.

I can't keep a high rank by playing this way. I lose points because I'm playing game types that are more chance related like 2 player games or games involving players who don't play according to how my I want them to play so I can pick up an easy win but I am a more rounded player because I'll play games that will destroy my points/rank but also they aren't gimme games where I am farming points. They are games that do not rely on me 'protecting' my points or rank but that make me learn how to play better in each and every different scenario, not just a select few. That does not seem challenging to me at all and why bother playing a competitive game if you are not challenged by it?

I could easily play only certain game types and avoid others and get my 'rank' way up there based on our scoring system and even if you tried to change the parameters of that scoring system without taking everything into account I could probably manipulate that too, as I showed @The_Bishop that I could manipulate my rank if I chose to do so in his beta-dominance experiment, just like some of the points farmers already mentioned do, by playing games that favored players who played certain styles and/or certain games only: https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/3397/very-important-players/post/60110#post-60110

Just like playing for points only against new players or players you know are less skilled.

Not saying this to you directly but I have been quite clear with others on my personal stance for a certain types of point farmers.

The ones who only play new or far less skilled players in order to capitalize on their inexperience and their mistakes in order to maintain a high rank but when those said players don't actually play along with their farmers desires giving them an easy win. they complain that these new players should be penalized for not doing what the farmers tell them they have to do.

They are perfectly fine with taking points when others make mistakes that benefit them but they rage when those same mistakes affect themselves, so my stance is that if you want to manipulate and take advantage of others, do not come crying to me when it doesn't work out for you and you lose a game. Play fair all the time and don't come around complaining when your deceitful manipulations don't work out for you.

The challenge is to be able to deal with new players or learning players or even older and quite skilled players who are still prone to the odd gaffe in order to try and be able to anticipate and overcome things that are unpredictable and don't go my way like good/bad dice rolls and/or good/bad strategies and still try to come out on top despite those handicaps.

Battle of any kind is unpredictable and your true skill is in how you adapt to every type of scenario without 'protection.'

That's how you learn and grow.

I could easily come up with a 'good reason' to have a training account but I don't see how that makes me a better player by protecting my points. No challenge or urgency to actually play to win, which is a golden rule here.

Even though you are trying to come across as an advocate for the site and just trying to 'teach' new players and that is admirable but clearly your rank is the most important thing to you on your priority list, which is also perfectly fine.

But our priority on this site is to try to ensure a fun, fair, competitive and respectful site for everyone and not spend all of our time creating new systems and new programming for the select few who just want to play outside the box when we have already given you a way to protect your precious points.

I am ok with the suggestion that we have some sort of pointless game structure set up for players who want that but I am not a programmer and I am aware that programming can be very difficult and time consuming and there are other things much higher up on the list of things to do for the site and I am perfectly fine with Matty's suggestion just to ask me or any one of us to reverse the points if it is agreed upon before the game starts.

But for me, pointless games are, well, just that. Pointless.

As is your continued persistence on the subject.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks, well done @Hoodlum, and nice speech @elysium5.
I do agree on the respect for the rules and for the sportsmanship.

I think Periwinkle is absolutely trustable, I can put my hand on a fire that she will never imagine to use the 'teacher account' for any kind of exploitation. She is just so genuinely passionate for the game, aiming to offer a real support for the improvement of Dominating12...

However I'm not sure what is the topic here. Is the Periwinkle's second account? Or the stressful messages received by the Admins? Someone even proposed to fix the grammar! o_O Personally the subject in my mind right now is why AlexCheckMate doesn't play chess.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein