Possible New Setting
  • 13 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
Hello Friends,

Have you ever considered the "polymorphic" setting for games. I have played it on another site and have found it very popular and interesting. If you are not familiar with this setting, it is simply one individual having the ability to play as a team (2,3 or 4 players....like team settings for doubles, trips or quads)...but instead of with other players on his team, the individual plays all the spots on his team by himself....but he plays them individually as in a team game. I am not familiar with how difficult this would be to add to the settings you already offer here, but I would think it would not be difficult if you already have the ability to create and play regular dubs, trips or quads games since this setting is so similar.

Thank you for considering,

Peaceful Warrior
Matty wrote:
Hmmm, interesting idea. I know that Vexer back in the days tried this with 1771 by both having 2 accounts - though I'm not sure if that's still allowed, so better not to try :pirate:

I'm not sure if I want to implement this though, because it would mean that we can't make the assumption anymore that a player is only once in a game - and that may lead to some weird bugs :3
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
Hi Matty,

Thanks for the response. Can you explain a little what you mean by "because it would mean that we can't make the assumption anymore that a player is only once in a game - and that may lead to some weird bugs"? No sure what you mean here. If one player creates a game with the poly setting, then he/she will be the only player in the game besides the other player who joins the game. The other site I played poly a lot never seemed to have any problems with bugs. The setting is so similar to team games!

Thanks,

PW
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
Hey Matty,

Still not sure what you mean brother. Since (1) player plays all the positions in the game, whether pairs, trips or quads for his "team" then there should be no issue regarding a player being "only once in a game". Only (1) player creates the game and plays "polymorphically" as all the players on his team. The same goes for the player who joins the game. It should be able to be done without "bugs" if it is set up properly.

Hope to hear back from you brother.

Thanks,

Peaceful Warrior
Matty wrote:
PeacefulWarrior
... there should be no issue ...
Should. Should is a big word.
Things don't always work out that way they should.

So if I were to make this, there are lots and lots of things to check, just to make sure that the things that shouldn't go wrong, don't go wrong.

Not really worth the effort imo.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
Cireon wrote:
Our database links a user and a game together, and it adds some metadata such as colour, team, and turn order. To do a polymorphic setting, we need to suddenly link the user to the same game twice (because we need two colours, two turn orders, etc.), and that's not something that can be done. Given how little value this game setting would add compared to some of the other improvements we can do, I concur with Matty :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
Thanks gentlemen for the replies. I will certainly defer to your expertise regarding your database, metadata, etc. I know nothing about this area. What I do know is that this setting is available on at least one other site which offers Risk-like games and it is a popular setting.

Since there seems to be some potential difficulty with this setting, how difficult would it be to allow players to have multiple accounts to be used just for the polymorphic games? Would it be possible to monitor this or limit the 2nd, 3rd or 4th account someone had to only be used for the polymorphic setting?

Thanks again for your replies.

PW
Matty wrote:
Normally having multiple accounts is not allowed (too many ppl using that for cheating).

If you want to try for an exception you gotta message one of the admins (hoodlum or elysium5)
Matty is online.
Hoodlum wrote:
The answer is no unfortunately PeacefulWarrior

The answer is NO because of newbies/freemium players who already make multiple accounts to get around the tokens
NO to the players that don't like to follow the chat rules and make multiple accounts to get around chat bans

The answer is NO because of players like AlexCheckMate who I've already said NO to in regards to a second account. This is a way for high rankers to try and get around losing precious points they don't want to risk in 1v1 games or mode settings they wish they had learned when they didn't have points. eg sametime. (earn it)
@AlexCheckMate - NO!

This is just work for the moderating team. I do like the idea, and also the suggestion you made in pvt message, about using the same name likeness for this mode, but it's just work to moderate for the reasons above. If i had the ability to program it, i would have this.

I have already replied this to you in pvt, but i thought it'd be best to make an explanation here for players like AlexCheckMate to read.

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Hoodlum
The answer is no unfortunately PeacefulWarrior

The answer is NO because of players like AlexCheckMate who I've already said NO to in regards to a second account. This is a way for high rankers to try and get around losing precious points they don't want to risk in 1v1 games or mode settings they wish they had learned when they didn't have points. eg sametime. (earn it)
@AlexCheckMate - NO!

This is just work for the moderating team. I do like the idea, and also the suggestion you made in pvt message, about using the same name likeness for this mode, but it's just work to moderate for the reasons above. If i had the ability to program it, i would have this.

I have already replied this to you in pvt, but i thought it'd be best to make an explanation here for players like AlexCheckMate to read.

I'll be a positive guy and take this reply in that fashion. However, I must admit that it looks way more negative towards me rather than positive =)

Yes, I've asked (you: @Hoodlum) about being allowed to get a 2nd account and the conversation/discussion that came out of it, was far from pleasent. I felt treated in a very unjust way and the fact that you feel the need to bring this up now, seems very petty to me - but heck, that's just my feelings. :)

Due to the fact that you think it's a good idea to bring this out publicly, I in a samilar way feel it's a good idea to give some more context to this case.

Talking with Hoodlum about getting/having a 2nd account (click to show)

To this day, I still do not understand what made him switch his behaviour towards me. In my opinion, we got along rather well from the get go, but at some point, he got annoyed by me. It's a shame this got out of hand and he prefers to just see negativity in me/my questions, rather than just treat them with an open vision. Personally, I have no clue where I've acted in manners that give rise to having such expectations about me/my behaviour, but there will always be things that remain an enigma to us - that's fine too. In a way, it makes me spiral towards a Dutch proverb: "Zoals de waard is, vertrouwt hij zijn gasten."

It might just be all good fun and games to you "Quincy" - but it does nothing good for me.
You even change your signature 'in my honour' => " Hi Alex :) " - https://i.imgur.com/GqRuKgw.png

I'm truly sorry IF I misunderstand you - but this behaviour you are displaying towards me.. I believe it is not fit for any normal human being, let alone staff which is supposed to represent something bigger than just himself. To me, this is bullying. TBH... had this happened years ago, I might've even filed a formal complaint against you - now I just brush it of (after having talked at length with you about it); it doesn't sting me anymore that badly. Have learnt to accept that not everything is 'fair and just'.

-Alex

PS - ever since this started, there have been countless of examples - what I'm discussing here is just the tip of the iceberg.
PPS - I am not interested in playing same time games... I talked about this in game chats, so it'll be hard to discover... I've viewed numerous games of this type (mostly with players such as Henris/hooboy (even offered to train me - thx!) /V98 and Hoodlum) and they just do not appeal to me, so although I mentioned this as a reason for getting a 2nd account; it would not be the reason for me to get one - I asked in general.

As for PWs topic:

I think I would enjoy playing games in this setting - I believe I've also heard TP_knighty talk about this setting; he played it elsewhere (probably on the same site as you have?) and was also very positive about it. It makes sense that programmers have their cost/benefit analysis and from there deduce whether they should strive for it or not - if in this case that rolls out as a no... too bad, but we'll have to go with it.

If it would however, somehow become an opportunity to be had here, I'd be all in favour of using it! =)
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
elysium5 wrote:
I will try to keep this answer as short and simple as possible;

The programmers have explained why this setting is not going to be implemented any time soon.

Neither Hoodlum nor myself have the amount of time required to dedicate towards monitoring multiple accounts and whether they are being used properly. It is just not feasible.

So in short, there will be no game setting like this in the foreseeable future and multiple accounts are still not allowed except in the most extremely singular cases which have been previously covered,
https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/3157/multiple-accounts-allowed/post/55421#post-55421
https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/3157/multiple-accounts-allowed/post/55422#post-55422

Whether this answer is satisfying or not, hopefully it is now at least clear.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
elysium5 is online.
Matty wrote:
As for why ppl sometimes sound like they 'switched their behaviour' - it's a case of being asked a simple (but very long) question, reply simply with a no, then asked thrice more with long posts.
You don't mean it badly, and we all understand that, however, both Hoodlum and Elysium (and me too) have been moderating this site for years. And every time someone new comes along, asks a very simple question in a very long winded way, and then when (s)he's answered, they ask again.

It gets tiring.
They (me) don't mean it in a hostile way, we're just a little tired ;)

This is a good and very practical thing to learn for you btw: if you want to have a question taken seriously, ask it in a short and clear way. It works like that all over the world.
Matty is online.