Happy Belated New Year!
  • 14 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Hello all,

An issue has come to my attention. The map Caribbean is NOT available for me to be purchased. If I however understand the following, I'd assume it should be available to be purchased by all players? Right now, I can play it (as a non-premium player), at a fee of 80 battle tokens/game.

Map Owned by Pending games Total games Cost Purchase
Caribbean All players 0 games 98321 games 200 tokens Premium map

All other maps are FREE - need not be purchased. So I'd be surprised if I had to actually interpret it in the sense that the map can only be purchased by PREMIUM players... Having said that, I'd actually assume (or suggest?) that the entire tab of Maps should be removed from the shop... have all maps open for everyone? (I'm saying this, because I figure that there used to be plently more maps which could be purchased, yet that at some time the crew has decided to make all maps available for everyone...... I could be wrong though).

Disclaimer: Joined this game last week on the 7th of January and talked about this Caribbean thingy with Hoodlum on the 9th - today I talked with him again and we figured this would be best to be put on the forum. Whoever can help out with this issue - much appreciated!

With kind regards,

Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
This is just from memory, which is getting worse by the day!

The Caribbean map was the only map kept as a Premium-only map by a staff vote, due to its popularity.
The reason was that, we have so many great maps for players to choose from and yet players keep creating games on pretty much 2 maps, World Classic & Caribbean.
We couldn't make World Classic a premium-only map, because it's the map that is most associated with the game of Risk and it was felt that new players would expect to be able to use it as standard and that it is ideal for learning the skills of the game.
It is still overplayed, with 3398 recent games played (last few weeks), which is more than all the other maps combined, nearly twice over.

Caribbean is still the 2nd most played map even as a Premium-only map and would render most other maps virtually unplayed if made available to all.

At least, that's how I remember the reasons.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
I agree we should remove maps from the shop.

Aero's explanation about the map being a premium map sounds about right.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
AlexCheckMate wrote:
First off, aeronautic & Cireon, thanks for replying! =)

aeronautic
[...] The Caribbean map was the only map kept as a Premium-only map by a staff vote, due to its popularity. [...]
I've read your post (multiple times over xD), but I still do not get it. Was waiting/hoping for more replies, but figured I'd best write something myself again.

Premium only? What does that mean in this context? As I said... I can play it... it just comes at a cost of 80 tokes/game (so unless you're getting funded pretty hard - this will drain you quick, so in that aspect; it does become 'semi-premium-only' - is this what you mean?).

If so. Then why does it appear in the shop? The freemium players can not buy it, but get somewhat frustrated by seeing it there (at least... I can only speak for myself ;p), the premium players shouldn't need to purchase it... it's their special rights? Or do they still need to purchase it once? (it wouldnt matter really - they'll be loaded with BTs anyway =p - just something I ponder about)

aeronautic
[...] Caribbean is still the 2nd most played map even as a Premium-only map and would render most other maps virtually unplayed if made available to all.. [...]
The C Map is rather small (26 territories)... so I suppose it is mainly (/only) being played for 2/3 player games... that leaves an entire market for (4) 5, 6 and even bigger games. From what I've seen thus far; it is loved for its use in caps games for 3.

TL;DR - I do not understand why the map, Caribbean, IS in the shop (for ALL PLAYERS - Owned by), yet I can not purchase.

-Alex

Sidenote: Maybe I'm just kinda 'being difficult here' that's kinda semantics, with the end conclusion that it's simply a staff decision - that the (wrong?) wording shouldn't be something to nitpick on - just see C-map as a map to play @ 80 token/game, unless when you're Premium.
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Note here: Cireon and aero (and me) have premium, so they might actually see something different then Alex when viewing that page.
As to how it works exactly: no idea. That page has been changed soo often. It's quite that currently the map shop is just useless.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Ok... in case it helps.... this is what I see:
Modified screenie of my shop (click to show)

Other things in the shop look different, when clickable - not the case now (and it is not only visual - I also can NOT click it).

-Alex

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
I checked and there are currently no maps that need to be purchased. I've decided to hide the map shop for now to avoid further confusion. That change should go live soon.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Thanks! Good to remove some confusion!

So then... just to be sure... the current working of the Caribbean map is the way it is intended?

If you're a Premium - play it as often as you want - free of charge.
If you're a Freemium - play it as often as you want - for 80/200 battle tokens/game (200 when you've played more games than your daily free allowance).

Or will the cost of joining for freemiums be taken away?

Then a follow-up due to the change. With the map shop hidden; will there be another place to see the maps as nicely ordened as they were there (or is that already present? https://dominating12.com/game/create is not the best for looking over maps IMO - I like https://dominating12.com/shop/maps just for that use - mainly because I barely know any of the maps... at that place it's nicely structed in a sense that I can easily look over them and get acquainted a bit - which might come in handy at times).

-Alex

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
Yes, Caribbean is working as intended. We will probably add a FAQ entry to clarify.

You can use https://dominating12.com/maps to browse all the maps. You can reach this page by choosing "Maps" in the main menu.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Cireon
I checked and there are currently no maps that need to be purchased. I've decided to hide the map shop for now to avoid further confusion. That change should go live soon.

Just 'poking' to see whether all is going as planned, or perhaps something forgotten? It's been >2 weeks now, yet the map page is still present in the shop - 'soon' is of course hard to define.
https://dominating12.com/shop/maps
Furthermore, I do not think there's a new entry in the FAQ either.

-Alex

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
I haven't had a chance to roll out the server change yet. I picked up a cold and have been trying to catch up ever since. Same for the FAQ entry.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
All good! Was just wondering. Get well soon! =)
Colds are terrible, especially when you're a guy, ghehe

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
The map shop is now gone. FAQ entry will follow whenever I find some spare time :)
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Cireon
The map shop is now gone. FAQ entry will follow whenever I find some spare time :)

Veni, vidi, vici^^ //as said with a deep Cireon voice

― Albert Einstein