• 5 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Clarke wrote:
So in the board game that this website is modeled after, the games are started with the ability to select your own starting territories. How about making this a game option here?
Cireon wrote:
This suggestion has been placed several times before. Some problems with this are:

• It would take a really long time to do. Imagine it takes about 24 hours for a turn to happen in long term games. If 3 players have to select 14 countries each (42 territories which is pretty average), that is two weeks before the game actually gets going! For live games it would take about half an hour if you're optimistic and estimate 2 minutes per round!
  • We need to design a UI for it, implement that UI, test it...
  • Our backend does not support this in any way. We would have to rewrite large sections of code to make this possible in the first place.

If you can find solutions to at least the first and second points, maybe it ends up on the list of things we may want to do, but right now there are too many unsolved problems for this to be any priority for the programmers.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
Here is another discussion on it
Intial troop placement
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
dough_boy wrote:
My 2 cents is that it could only be done as part of a live game due to the time delay on a long term game.
dough_boy is online.
Coldonylum wrote:
Cireon
This suggestion has been placed several times before. Some problems with this are:

• It would take a really long time to do. Imagine it takes about 24 hours for a turn to happen in long term games. If 3 players have to select 14 countries each (42 territories which is pretty average), that is two weeks before the game actually gets going! For live games it would take about half an hour if you're optimistic and estimate 2 minutes per round!
  • We need to design a UI for it, implement that UI, test it...
  • Our backend does not support this in any way. We would have to rewrite large sections of code to make this possible in the first place.

If you can find solutions to at least the first and second points, maybe it ends up on the list of things we may want to do, but right now there are too many unsolved problems for this to be any priority for the programmers.

Well then, just scrap it for the 24 hour games and only give it as an option for live games. I do not think country selection on live games would take half an hour - from my experience playing irl. A 30s time cap for each choice is more than enough. If anything, after all teh countries are selected, the program you have in beta can be added to allow everyone place the remaining troops at once.

As for the UI, I am no developer, but you could use already existing code using the "neutral" grey enemy as an empty blocks, and replace it when a player selects their country.

Personally, I love playing both ways - random and select - but there is so much strategy completely dismissed.