• 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
AlbertEinstein wrote:
In fog of war games, when a player watches another player's turn, he gets a lot of extra information that cannot be obtained by just looking at the gamelog.

This means that a player that is watching the map most of the time (this can be specially done duringn live games), can get a huge advantage. Even if a player doesn't have time to watch the game all the time (for example in long-term games), by just looking at the game a few times he can get some valuable information. Even it could be possible to leave the game opened and use some kind of software to record the game and, then, watch the replay to see what the other players did during their turns (the game log indicates when did the other players start their turns so it would be very easy to find and analyze the key moments within the replay).

I understand that most of the players wouldn't put so much effort to just get a higher chance of winning a game but, still, the point is that players that spend more time watching the map can get some significant advantage, which I think it should't be possible in an strategy game.

So I have thought about two possible solutions so that players don't get an additional advantage by looking at the map during other player turns.

-My first idea is to change the game log so that players can see anything that they could see in the screen (something like 7 troops from territory #1 dissapeared, territory #2 from red was occupied by 30 green troops but those troops got reduced to 14, territory #3 had 4 green troops and got occupied by 3 blue troops , ...). In my opinion, this would be the best solution to make the game fair without changing the current gameplay. However, I guess that this could be quite difficult to program.

-Another possible solution (I think this one should be easier to program) would be changing these games so that each player can only see what is going during their turns. During the other players turns, they could just see how was the map when they ended their turn. Then, after clicking "start turn" they would see the updated state of the map. I guess that a possible drawback of this solution would be that it could be boring to watch the map without anything changing until it is your turn (specially during live games).

Anyway I have played very few fog of war games so it would be nice to hear the opinion of other fog of war players. If they like this mode in its current state I guess there is no need to change it.
dough_boy wrote:
It is an advantage anyone can take advantage of. I think the only way to make it fair is that when it isn't your turn you can only see your troops and not what borders them. Then when you start turn those bordering your territories become known.
Matty wrote:
You are right in saying that there is an advantage to active players - especially in fog games.
I'm not sure what needs to be fixed here though. Isn't this how it's supposed to be?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria