For watching Fog games
  • 14 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Madagascarter wrote:
There should be an option where players that want to watch Fog games who aren’t playing in them can. However the only problem is that players might abuse it by looking at the game in another account so I suggest that that option should be buyable with Tokens which is more than what a user starts with. However skilful players can get round it by playing a few games. So to counteract that the game should recorf who has been watching so we can look for correlation between Fog games a player has played and Fog games a player has spectated.
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
Cireon wrote:
I am not so concerned as to people making a different account, but as to people asking a friend to send them information about the game. Also, neutral spectators can still reveal things (whether on purpose or not) in the chat, especially if it's not clear the information is supposed to stay hidden. Since people already find that chat sometimes reveals too much, I think this is only going to amplify that problem.

I think it's much better to focus on a replay mode where you can watch the game unfold after it has already finished.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dough_boy wrote:
Cireon
Also, neutral spectators can still reveal things (whether on purpose or not) in the chat, especially if it's not clear the information is supposed to stay hidden. Since people already find that chat sometimes reveals too much, I think this is only going to amplify that problem.

Just disable chat for spectators (and admins). I agree replay would be great (still on my list to look into).
Cireon wrote:
Disable chat for admins... What if you need game support?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Madagascarter wrote:
Play by presumption that admins wouldn’t cheat so disable chat for most spectators and not for admins. If an admin did choose to cheat strip him of the role

Summer 2 Countdown

dough_boy wrote:
Sorry yeah, I mean disable chat from anyone not playing (except for admins) - I rewrote it but didn't reread it. :). This should be the rule even in non-games.
Cireon wrote:
This should be the rule even in non-games.
That seems like a whole different discussion and an opinion with which I respectfully disagree.

Still, this opens many more ways for cheating, and I don't really see the point in watching fog games. If you can't interact with the players via chat, the observing seems to be mostly a moot point. For this kind of things, I think it's important to come up with the reasons why making fog games visible to spectators is beneficial, and why those benefits outweigh the disadvantages it produces, and whether that's enough to warrant an investment of our already scarce programming resources,
dough_boy wrote:
The only reason for me is that if I die early in a fog game is I would like to see what happened at that time. I never randomly go into games, and even after I die chances are I never go back in again.

And I don't think that Mad is saying do it now...just add to the arguably length list. What I do on my site is allow feature requests and then let people discuss/debate and whenever I have a free minute I then work on those that have a lot of backing.
Cireon wrote:
Problem is: I'm not so sure if this is a positive feature. I want to encourage you to either proof me wrong, or agree with my conclusion. I think I have a lot of experience with building the right experience for the user, so I feel it's important to push back on things that I think are not improvements. This either challenges you to come up with something better, or the idea is abandoned in a way that everybody can agree is for the best.

Secondly: our list is long, and will never empty. I'd much rather not put things on the list that will never get picked up because they're not important. I'm not convinced this is important, so I don't see a reason to put it on the list right now, but again: if you care, tell us why it's important and one of the programmers will pick it up.

Right now, there's a solution to something and I'm not sure what that something is because I don't see a problem. That's why I'm asking you to explain what the exact problem is. Maybe somebody will see the importance and start helping out finding a satisfactory solution.

Sorry for the short rant, but I find out important that you understand how I approach this. I could just say "cool, I'll add it to the list", but it will never be picked up. That's not how you build a good website. I'm happy to cooperate, but only if you can share with me the information I need to help :)
dough_boy wrote:
Well...Mad explained his to you.

Mine is that if I am participating in a game and I die I should be able to see what is going on and not just wait until the game is over and try to maybe deduce what happened.
Hoodlum wrote:
I think that admins should be able to view fog games they aren't in but the playback feature will more than suffice.

The playback feature will satisfy a lot of things written here. I was fortunate to play around with @Stratosphere 's project that he was working on, and it was awesome for moderating games, but also a good tool for learning and a fun tool for watching your game after you die, or just watching other games on fast forward.. (it played like a video..rewind, play, fastforward.
I think the playback could be a premium benefit.
Now that the site has settled down on the programming side, and stratosphere is available again, I hope to see him working on it again.
D12 is already too awesome, but this will make us even more awesomer :) I don't think any other risk site has this.

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Madagascarter wrote:
Alright, Cireon, I see your point and I agree the playback feature is going to be way cooler so much better investment of time. I was just wondering because I created a tournament game and the first round was in Fog, but I have no idea what is going on. But, I can see where your coming from. Thanks and I agree D12 is awesome.

Summer 2 Countdown

Cireon wrote:
Oh, hmm. The tournament organisers argument is actually really interesting. Wonder what other people think of that.