• 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Ral wrote:
The board game version of Capitals is my favorite Risk gametype, because the win condition is controlling your own capital + a certain number of opposing capitals. The only losing condition is complete elimination, so if you lose your capital, you can keep fighting to recapture it even if you aren't one of the most powerful players on the board.

However, the Dominating12 version of Capitals is not as great in my opinion, and it's because of the massive momentum swings caused by someone capturing a capital. Someone can win the game in two or three turns based on starting positions, and it might not even be your fault. A more experienced player can pick out an inexperienced player and gain an instant advantage, because capturing their capital also gives you control of all their territories.

It would be great to have a Capitals gametype with the board game rules. I know I would play the heck out of it.
Vexer wrote:
Sounds interesting to me. Can you post all the details of how you win with different numbers of players?
Hoodlum wrote:
Board game version
OBJECT OF THE GAME To capture all opposing Headquarters-while still controlling your own territory.

We played an online version of this, and it allowed up to 8 players. You could go random drop or choose. But you could choose your capital.

4 players: Capture any 2 opposing Headquarters while controlling your own.
5 or 6 players: Capture any 3 opposing Headquarters while controlling your own.
7 or 8 players: Capture any 4 opposing Headquarters while controlling your own.

9 players: Capture any 5 opposing Headquarters while controlling your own.

In this mode, you don't even have to be on your capital for all of the game, you could play it like a deathmatch game waiting for the ascending cards value and the right time to make a sweep of kills and manage to capture the required amount of players. Most players will still sit big on their capital naturally, as controlling your own capital is always the win condition

Programming for d12, without too much change, it could work with keeping the already set capitals we have for maps.

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
Programming this would be relatively simple actually, we would just have to make sure that conquering a capital doesn't kill all the player's troops. I think the biggest task will be the interface, showing which capital is the capital for which player, maybe by giving the outer capital circle a colour instead of making it white.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
It might be confusing to have 2 capital game types, and our Capital Conversion version is unique and popular.
An alternative name like Flags as a gametype, 

Flags
Control your own flag and capture enemy flags to win.

maybe could use coloured flag icon or something?
Matty wrote:
I like the idea, but yes, it should definitely not be called capitals. And not have white circles around the flag territories.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
maybe the d12 symbol? could make it like a flag. input it on a suitable part of a territory.
[image]
Cireon wrote:
How about a star?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Matty wrote:
Hoodlum
maybe the d12 symbol? could make it like a flag. input it on a suitable part of a territory.
That would look really weird on the ancient realm map.

Hoodlum
like this?
[image]
That looks quite nice.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
That could work. If it's not clear enough, maybe double the number of legs the star has.
Hoodlum wrote:
i worked on this if it helps to test.
[image]
Hoodlum wrote:
10 point stars -- looks confusing for the to and from thingies.
[image]
Cireon wrote:
Agreed
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I am sorry but I am not good editing pictures so I just can explain my idea with words.

What about using the color of the troop numbers? Instead of the usual white, the "flag province" could have the number in black color. Not to many maps with black background
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra