Special Gameplays or Game Modes
  • 11 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Hoodlum wrote:
I wonder if anyone else has some ideas about special gameplays that could be cool for d12.
Maybe someday these awesome programmers might be able to implement.

Here's one that might be cool for a Maze map

Image & connection change round map - Maybe for a maze (labyrinth), a random map image keeping the same territories, but
connections and image change for visual (maybe a door/bridge) per round. This could be truly frustrating if you thought you had a plan, just as a maze should be! add that with fog! oh man

Natural disaster - I remember a playstation risk game, where there was a setting for natural disaster. I can't recall it much but it changed the map, so maybe it would work like the maze one mentioned, but i think it randomly destroyed troop numbers too.

----

other recently mentioned special gameplays or game modes

Atomic Blast - Cool idea mentioned in Nuclear D12

Decaying Nuetrals - Drop of high # nuetrals that block paths early in game, but decay over rounds. Idea mentioned in berlin wall map idea
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Wow, no reactions at all at this. Might have something to do with posting it around 1 feb, in which at least Tom and I were very busy.

Either way: I really want that nuclear bomb, and I'll get it. But there are some things we need to do in the game layout first, so it'll take a bit.
Decaying neutrals would be fun I guess, but it kinda has to be map specific. Feel free to make such a map though ;)

The other two would be either hard to do and very hard to make fair (#1 would be fairer if not random I guess).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Yes, when these were suggested, we were bogged down with the new set up, so new things were on the back burner.

I am all for new things, even if they mean more graphic work.

I go through flurries of graphic work where I'll do 10 or 12 hours straight and then can't be bothered for many days. Especially when something else (out of my comfort zone) is bogging me down, like blooming symbols to replace labels on the map... grrr who suggested this.... wait it was me.... grrr at me!!!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
^^

Soo recognizable.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Madagascarter wrote:
Secret alliance games where it is legal to make alliances via PM. In this mode you can easily make alliences and fake alliances with strong players to rebalance and change games.
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
aeronautic wrote:
I think that would be very easy to exploit.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cayman wrote:
This is a favorite game mode from another site for me

Trench: With trench warfare you can only assault from territories held continuously since the start of your turn. If you conquer a territory you cannot assault further from that territory during the same turn.

This add a whole different level of strategy as you'll have to plan many turns in advance to be where you need to be when you need to be there.
SethHrab wrote:
Trench sounds fun!

Also, adding nukes to Risk is awesome. Do this quite frequently in real life risk with family. We use .22 shells for nukes and 9mm shells for ICBMS. Nukes can only hit within a territory that you are connected to and within a continent, ICBM's can hit anywhere. We also use different "blast radius" for nukes and ICBMs (meaning territories affected in a reducing cascade of damage.)

So, to expand on this - you declare the country you are nuking/icbm. Once declared, you roll 1 dice - even means you launch successfully, odd means the bomb was a dud and doesn't go off or goes harmlessly into the sea (think North Korea failed missile tests). As an added twist, if you roll a 1, the bomb detonates in your territory - meaning nuke/icbm placement is a strategy in and of itself.

Nukes have a blast radius that does not cross continents, so only territories within the continent of the target region are affected by the "fallout". The direct territory loses the number of the "launch" dice roll in troops and any directly attached, in-continent territories lose the dice roll minus 2.

ICBM's have a pre-determined blast radius size, with three separators for damage, with the "bullseye" being the dice roll +5 lost, the secondary being the dice roll +3 lost, and the tertiary territories being the dice roll +1 lost. ICBM's will affect any territories within the blast radius, regardless of continent or sea.

Nukes cost 15 armies and ICBM's cost 20 armies. Armies can be traded in from any way that a player can get 20 troops - they can trade in troops from their already placed troops, trade in troops from the turn bonus, or a combination of the two. There must always be at least 1 troop in each owned territory. They come at a high cost, with a high risk, and potentially do a lot of damage.

Nukes and ICBM's can be captured also, if the defending army(ies) is/are defeated. Nukes and ICBM's do not count as an army, and have no defensive capabilities, also affecting placement strategy.

The last game family and I played like this there were 4 icbms "bought". 2 failed to launch (effectively costing 20 "lives" each) 1 exploded in territory (the player lost their 20 troop cost plus I think 9 additional armies) and 1 hit, killing upwards of 32 armies. There was a group of these lives we kept in the bottom corner of the map, to illustrate the cost and "human factor" of using weapons of mass destruction, which I think would also be a neat addition to a nuclear game - keeping track of nukes/icbms bought, successful launches, unsuccessful launches, and catastrophe's where the nuke exploded in territory (Chernobyl-like). I happened to be the first player to buy a nuke, and failed to launch. The "human factor" of losing 20 armies for nothing prompted me to never buy a nuke again, and I ended up winning the game. It becomes a mind game you play with yourself, as well as the other players, and adds a whole new level to Risk. Something I think definitely should be added as a gametype.
Matty wrote:
I heared a similar nuke like proposal before. I still want to try it out :)

In that proposal you could get a nuke for cards though, not for troops.
SethHrab wrote:
Matty
I heared a similar nuke like proposal before. I still want to try it out :)

In that proposal you could get a nuke for cards though, not for troops.

Cards would be too easy. Weapons of mass destruction should come at a heavy cost, and have heavy impacts - just like in the real world. Using cards makes it too easy to go "nuke happy"
Cireon wrote:
If you play increasing, late in the game a card turn in can give you up to 50 troops easily, you can easily buy 3 nukes for that...
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card