• 8 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
skullpuppies wrote:
What is the purpose of this script use on this site?

I find nothing but bad suspicious and bad reviews for this script. Here are a few from www.mywot.com

Hosting cyber crime
Houses illegal activity
malware and viruses

While they provide a good firewall for web applications, I believe that they'll proxy and protect just about anything that wouldn't get them all arrested. In my opinion, they don't care about who uses their service, as long as they use their service. In my opinion, their morality borders on the line of criminal neglect. I believe that they anonymize malware and hacking sites or sites that sponsor such illegal activities while providing a "happy face" to those that complain, before ignoring complaints. Of course, this is just my opinion
Appears to be a great CDN, but its TLS offers are surprisingly insecure. There’s an option which allows for no TLS between you and CloudFlare’s data centers (effectively pretending to have TLS while not in fact having it). There’s also an option that lets CloudFlare accept any certificate provided by your server, without any verification (effectively cancelling all advantages of TLS, see previous option).
Cireon wrote:
We use CloudFlare as Content Delivery Network (CDN) for the Javascript that automatically completes names in certain textboxes. The script is hosted by the most widely used Content Delivery Network for all CSS and Javascript: cdnjs.com.

I agree that CloudFlare has a sketchy reputation when it comes to hosting websites, but I also think those reports are largely exaggerated (CloudFlare being the big hosting company they are, there are a lot of other companies that don't mind CloudFlare getting a worse reputation at all).

It was not our choice to use CloudFlare, it was the choice of the service we are using. We chose to use that service to provide the best possible experience for our users. The script we are using is served through TLS encryption, or you would not see the green lock in your browser bar. If CloudFlare still worries you so much, then you are welcome to block the script and work without the features it provides. By all expectations the website should work fine apart from some Javascript errors here and there, but we will not provide any support if more breaks because of it.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
skullpuppies wrote:
For the web site to work properly you need to enable or temporarily enable cloudflare.com. All scripts are enabled, But I still see objects blocked. Why would this be happening?
This site use to have no issues what so ever. Now it seems it has many game issues and security issues.
Things got shady around here.
HammerTime wrote:
What game issues would that be skull? I have not had any thus far.
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Matty wrote:
I believe that one is used for Font awesome, which is a font that gives us all the icons. It's a widely known and used font - you can view the CSS file we get from it in the source code of any page - or if you want the quick link: https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.4.0/css/font-awesome.min.css.

May I ask why you think using an external script stylesheet is not trustworthy?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
skullpuppies wrote:
I am just your average computer user. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on what goes on behind the screen. I use a Firefox browser with no script and ghostery add ons. These block anything on their black list. If a site does not work correctly I have to research what scripts are useful and ok to allow and which are not.
Since the site hasn't been working well for me since the change over, I am asking so I know what I should allow.

Thanks for the answers.
Matty wrote:
I tried noscript for a while as well, but to me they are waay to agressive with blocking. Still, if you really want privacy, then sadly that's what you have to do nowadays.

This site doesn't track much data. It tracks some things to detect cheaters (such as your IP address and related things), and of course all data that you give us yourself (like your profile, but also the game statistics).
That's about it. We no longer use google analytics, so that's a good thing I guess.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria