• 5 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
MuppetZoo wrote:
Can we get even shorter than 3 minute duration turns? I propose 1 minute with say, 30 two minute time extensions. 

Most turns don't take 3 minutes, but lots of players don't pay attention and time just drags on. I'd love to see 5 or 6 player games not take two hours to play because a bunch of people are inattentive. 
PsymonStark wrote:
This topic appears frequently repeated. Short answer, shorter turns mean no time to think properly and worse game quality in general.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
MuppetZoo wrote:
But let's look at what happens when people are actually playing - how much time elapses from the time someone Starts a turn until they End a turn? In a lot of games the first 5 turns take less than 30 seconds, including thinking. So maybe an escalation where the first 5 turns are 1 minute, the next 5 are 2 minutes and the rest are 3? It's just mindnumbing that so many people miss their turns or don't pay attention.

Side note - how about a different sound is played when it's my turn? Instead of the little click, how about a constant beep?
MuppetZoo wrote:
And by the way, by having a lot of time extensions like I proposed it doesn't actually cut down on the amount of time you could have in a turn.
Cireon wrote:
We have plans to change it so that you have to start the turn in the first minute, and then the actual turn time starts. We will not make the turns shorter.

The turn sound for your own turn is the same as the others on purpose. You should not only pay attention to your own turn, but to the other ones as well. If you leave and only get back when it is your turn, you have to assess the entire situation and you are slowing down the game (the exact thing you are fighting here).

I am going to close this topic, because this has been discussion in numerous other topics already. Please use those topics if you have any new points to add to the discussion.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card