Fendi i have a twist for you
  • 45 posts
  • Page 3 of 3
PsymonStark wrote:
Well being nuclear free doesn't mean that no one would nuke something... :P

...back on topic?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
cbt711 wrote:
If it's 5 players and all 5 players have 5 cards, you don't need a nuke to win. You just need to start taking people out.

At some point in increasing games nukes will become nerfed by card turn in bonus. Not saying it wouldn't be fun in increasing games by any means. I mean if everyone goes to 5 cards early, and then uses nukes, then card count would never increase higher than 4!

I think you should totally be able to get a kill with a nuke, with one stipulation. If they have a nuke, they get to retaliate before they die. That would literally be mutually assured destruction. And not being within range of one nuke killing you should be part of the game play anyway, so if you get into that situation, then you die. :)

I still love this idea. Wow is it going to crush some hopes and dreams. Anyone that goes after Oz... sorry, nuked Oz. hahah. not sorry.
Matty wrote:
Yeah, you should be able to kill with a nuke, but no retaliation. Simply makes things too complicated. Learn to spread out if you have just 4 territories.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
JroK wrote:
precisely......the beginning objective is to spread out and not keep large numbers anywhere (as someone will surely nuke your force).  After re-reading everyones input and thinking on how this all could be tied into D12 i believe the 1 nuke per person idea is a winner.  Ithink i would also disregard the 5 card turn in for a nuke or a second, simply 1 per person.
This being said a turn limit must be implemented....ex. noone can nuke until say round 5,; for this reason....as we all are aware many times people "team" in game and if allowed to use rnd.1 and nuke could "kill" a player....anyone not "liked" at table would be very quickly routed.

with the 1 per player and turn limitations on first able usage i believe this to be a relatively simple and exciting option to implement.

ty all for ideas and debunks.....hows this work? 

r.s.v.p.
Don't blame the math....blame the path.
Hoodlum wrote:
any new gametypes in the works programmers? :)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
elysium5 wrote:
The best new version of Nuclear D12 would be the modern day equivalent of throwing the board in the air:

Throw your computer at the wall and storm out of the room.

I'm not sure if we need a programmer to implement this. Many users are very capable of doing it themselves.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Cireon wrote:
The programmers are currently busy solving all the bugs in the existing logic, making quality of life improvements, and reworking parts of the codebase to make them less brittle and easier to add features to. I wouldn't expect a new game type any time soon, as we focus on making sure we're happy with the experience as it is now.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
elysium5 wrote:
You don't really have to do much, Cireon. Just loan out your hammer to anyone who needs it;)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
I still want to try this one, it is a very interesting gametype.

But yeah, let's first try to kill some bugs. Because this is not a very easy thing to implement.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
Just reading up on this.

It would be cool if it didn't kill the primary territory, but maybe halved it. Then there was a decay on it as well. So if I had 20, it drops to 10. But every turn I then lose one on that territory. Could even add a "radioactive" indicator around the circle so anyone taking it will know that every turn it will reduce any troops still left in it.

Adjacent territories (truly adjacent and not ports/sherriff's, etc) would also be affected and maybe they don't lose half to start.

If anything was under a certain number they would turn to neutral. So under 3, etc. If I conquered a radioactive one, and left a single, after 1 turn it would become neutral and I would have to take it again if I wanted the region bonus.

Also, any radioactive territories would cost more to take. So maybe they automatically require balanced dice or something.
sfclimbers wrote:
Somewhat related, there is a Star Wars themed Risk game, where the deathstar can fire on any space on the board (i.e. territory) and destroy everything on it. It is a very cool twist. In that game, it affects only the targeted space, not the surrounding spaces. That might be an easier way to introduce the concept to D12. It would still bring quite a bit of variability to a game, since
- An attack could now come from a non-adjacent territory
- Massive troop buildups could be wiped out in a single turn (despite being surrounded by only low troop count territories)

Otherwise, agree that the decay should remain the same as what already exists.

What's interesting in the Star Wars variant is that a deathstar blast is not guaranteed to succeed. The player must roll a 5 or 6 to have the blast hit it's mark. Though, it is much easier to acquire the deatahstar blast option than accumulating 5 cards in D12 (i.e. in Star Wars, the player draws 3 action cards for each turn, any of which might be a deathstar, they then decide which card to employ for that turn).

So, perhaps in the Nuclear option, we simply add Nuke cards to the deck. Anyone holding a Nuke card can treat it as wild, to combine with other cards for a normal turn in, or they can play that single Nuke card to target a single territory.

Trying to keep as close to existing behavior as possible (presumably to simplify the coding, while also easing the understanding of the new feature):
- Nuke card behaves as wild when combined with other cards
- Nuke card could alternatively be played on its own to do its damage, impacting only the single territory selected by the user (thereby avoiding the port problem)
- Capitals can be treated as "non-adjacent" and thus out of reach of a nuke (i.e. not selectable for attack)
- Ideally, a player with 5 cards, where 1 or more are a nuke, would have the option of playing just the single nuke instead of having to make a set using the nuke as wild. But, as a first pass, if it keeps the coding easier, might instead keep the mandatory turn in rule using nuke as wild and it sucks if you draw the nuke as your 5th card!
- Regardless of whether played on its own or as part of a set, cards (including single nuke) must always be played at beginning of turn, or immediately upon conquering an opponent
- Might make it that you had to roll a minimum dice roll for the nuke to succeed (e.g. Star Wars uses a single die, with a 5 or 6 succeeding)
- If holding multiple nuke cards, could play each in succession, again only at the beginning of a turn (equivalent to multiple turn-ins upon conquering), to keep the experience as close as possible to the existing game

Not exactly what the OP described, but potentially equally enjoyable, while possibly being easier to code due to reduced scope of the change (he says without having ever seen the code!).
sfclimbers wrote:
I would further suggest that the nuke card, assuming all my rules above, COULD be used to eliminate a player (i.e. nuke their last territory), taking control of their cards with the same implications as if a traditional attack from a neighboring territory.
sfclimbers wrote:
Another thought; If treating a nuclear attack the same way as any other attack (i.e. choose attack from, choose attack to, must be adjacent - but not allowed to be a capital in this case), and simply treating the existing wild cards as "nuclear capable" per my rules above, the scope of code changes might be reduced further. Basically, if holding a wild card:
- Give option to exercise that card on its own
- Choose from
- Choose to
- Roll 1 die, if 5 or 6 target turns neutral.
- Then turn continues exactly as it does today with no other changes (e.g. could still exercise any other cards, place reinforcements, etc.) 

Strategically, you get to see the impact of your nuke before performing the traditional start of your turn.

It might also be nice to see a count of how many nukes remain unexploded at any given time, perhaps right beside the next card bonus number. That might be a useful feature in general for how many wildcards remain unplayed.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Only read the last three posts by sfclimbers; sounds like fun^^
Not sure whether I'd see it as "real/serious" risk/D12; rather just a "fun-version" ?
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
vikingo1337 wrote:
Sounds like fun. Trade five cards for a nuke that can be dropped anywhere on the board, and then watch the carnage unfold (while you deny involvement of course).

It may actually lead to less camping and hoarding troops to avoid being on the receiving end of one of those badboys (= good for games with fixed cards). Assuming, of course, that the nuke takes out 100 percent of all troops in the target territory and, say, 50 percent in its adjacent territories? Or maybe those troops turn neutral afterwards out of sheer terror.

The recruitment in the affected regions could also be put on hold for 1-2 turns after the dropping of the nuke, as most people don't train or fight well in radioactive zones.

For the concept to make any sense, there should not be any loot in terms of cards if a nuke is used to eliminate a player's last troops. On the contrary, nukes would be mostly used as a show of strength, a last-ditch attempt at retaliation, or an attempt to change the status quo by wiping out an impregnable stronghold on the map.

I imagine that nukes could bring an element of surprise to the games that is much needed. Especially in fog games where you wouldn't necessarily know who you were hitting.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28