My last active thingy is not helpful atm
  • 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
badbug wrote:

Hello,

For the last few weeks i have noticed my "last active" thingy is not reliable.

It will often say "last active 4 minutes ago" which will have me thinking "yay, free points!"  Then i will check and it will say "last active 18 seconds ago" and i will be all sad and dead inside.....but then when the person's next turn comes, it says "last active 9 minutes ago".......or it will still say "18 seconds ago" but the player will forefit their turn as if they weren't there, even though it says they were active.

Hard to follow?

Basically it says they are active when they are not, everytime. I can no longer rely on it to plan ahead. 
PsymonStark wrote:
Well, maybe you should rely on your skills to win games, and not on possible AFKs?

Don't get me wrong, but maybe, last active should not be exactly seen for <5min. The current situation could influence an reckless attack on someone, thinking that the next player is not going to appear, and thus potentially ruining games.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Vexer wrote:
last active depends on them moving their mouse across the page. If they are switching between tabs to check for their turn but not moving the mouse down on to the page then their last active is not updated.
Matty wrote:
Vexer - Oct 17, 09:53 PM
last active depends on them moving their mouse across the page. If they are switching between tabs to check for their turn but not moving the mouse down on to the page then their last active is not updated.
I also check for keypresses, so it should update in that case as well.

However, only mouse movements (or key presses) are registered if the user is atually in the d12 screen, so the menu bar of the browser doesn't count.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
badbug wrote:

(Well, maybe you should rely on your skills to win games, and not on possible AFKs? )

??? I think it's a skill to plan ahead. If someone skips their turns in the middle of a 5 player game, you need to plan on where they are and how that influences the map....some players will have neutral blockers.

So don't be jerk. I am pretty sure i didn't invent the activity report, i just use the information. The issue is i have been getting unreliable information, your post that i shouldn't use that information isn't helpful.

I understand how it's supposed to work, i am saying it doesn't. I am sure no one checks back before their turn, only to skip it.

I will have information saying they skipped a turn, but are back, but at the end of the 2nd turn it says they are gone and actually never came back.

It will look like this:  Last active 5 minutes ago
 then         :  Last active 15 seconds ago
 then         :  Last active 9 minutes ago

So i will not know in they are actually gone or not

Matty wrote:
The point is that if the user simply goes away and comes back 6 minutes later, than that is exactly what you will see, because he simple IS away for that long.

And I agree that it's a good thing to check if one of your opponents is likely to miss a turn or nog (attendence score, last active).
Of course, skilled players don't rely on it, but it's a good thing to keep in mind none the less.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
Oh, I didn't want to be a jerk, sorry if it looked like that. I was just trying to point out a possible source of ruined games, due to external and coincidental info. But I guess it's my fault for trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist yet (at least massively).
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.