Prevent card-sitters
  • 36 posts
  • Page 2 of 3
Hoodlum wrote:
There will be a lot of sametimers who will miss turns on 5 cards, it is common for players waiting for others to trade first right up to the last seconds, like a standoff, and it goes to the next round, since it's now more ideal to not end turn in sametime games
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
elysium5 wrote:
I like that idea, Vexer. While the attendance score does something for warning others about a player with bad attendance, I think it would be nice to have that as an option in order to affect the fair play score as a deterrent as well.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
maximum wrote:
Vexer's solution can cause problems if the person who missed their turn lies and says that it was connection problems (or falling asleep in their chair), and you can't automatically assume that's a lie, because some people actually do have connection problems (though falling asleep is more dubious).

As he said, it's not a perfect solution.

I also think Hoodlum has a good idea.
elysium5 wrote:
I've fallen asleep in my chair:) Mind you, when I have, I've missed all my turns and lost...
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
huskers01 wrote:
I agree with hammer. ive had this tactic done to.me successfully I might add.. some sort of penalty for such tactics should be enacted..
HammerTime wrote:
iam not sure whats involved as i know nothing bout programing...but would it be possible to program something to detect if a player is online or not ,,and if they are they get penalized accordingly...
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Matty wrote:
But then if you want to abuse this you just go offline.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
HammerTime wrote:
also thought of player loosing a card(or 2) if no trade at 5...only thing with that is those who do loose internet suffer for no reason. mabe the fairest way is to keep trade at same as it would have been at the time they should have traded..but that wont help with the issue of holding onto 5 waiting for other players cards to increase
Matty wrote:
I think currently the best wel can do is Hoods suggestion (if I remember correctly).
Just save the card value they would have got the last turn and give them that one.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Sygmassacre wrote:
Or drop them back to 4 regardless of what amount its at. Its not fair to those whose connection is lost but its even worse for the rest if its done deliberately
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
aeronautic wrote:
I would prefer the player only gets the value it would have been last round on their turn.

Imagine this Syg, you are in a live game, you get 2 pairs and the card value is at 20, you have 35 on your Cap so you survive another round and get 5 cards and you survive another round, but by the time it gets to your turn again the value is at 40, then you are about to click 'start turn' and BOOM! Your internet dies and you frantically rush to get it back on, you get it on in 7 minutes and you see that by missing the turn, you have been assumed a waste of time for 4 cards and not only is the card value at 40, but you now have 2 pairs again!!! Get the 5th card now and everyone has 2 cards or more, you will be eaten in an instant!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Sygmassacre wrote:
I was meaning a turn in value of 4.
Now imagine the player after you had decided not to take cards for the first 2 rounds. They now are on 5 cards with 40 on their cap. You turn in for 40, take them out and get xxx reinforcements (plus the 40 you went back to because of the missed turn) instead of just the 40 you would have received had you not "missed" your turn seems like a great time to deliberately miss your turn.

Now of course in this instance its a risky move with the turns that high but if you take a normal capitals situation around the 12-15 turn in values it can become an effective tool knowing the player after you will go to 5 expecting a turn in around 20-30 only for you to turn in for 12 and have enough to take them out and get 40-50 extra troops rather than just the 12 you would have got if you played your turn the first time around
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
HammerTime wrote:
lost connections happen at any point of the game...but when it happens at the right time (5 cards) the odds of it being intentional go WAY up..for this to happen at (5 cards) due to lost connection.. the odds are low compared to odds of it happening at any point of the game.

IMO aeron what yr saying... the odds are low for that to happen to a player at key moment of a game. so if this idea was implemented ..it would affect very few players.

i think more players are affected by intentional then those affected by lost con...