Prevent card-sitters
  • 36 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
maximum wrote:
Yesterday, in game 539758, somebody won because they intentionally missed their turn and got a much higher turn-in value for their cards. This is a big problem in larger games.

I think that if you have 5 cards and miss your turn, you should lose 3 of them, or at least have your turn-in on the next turn fixed to what you would have gotten the previous turn.
Matty wrote:
I've seen that happen as well. Part of me thinks he should just not have gotten a card the previous turn, and part of me just admires the tactic xD.

I guess this is not legit gameplay if you play on a board, not sure though if it's not legit here.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
It's not in the rules that you cant, i have done it a few times myself. An etiquette thing? some players seem to get upset. it comes at a cost of missing reinforcements, and getting a dropped attendance score.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
HammerTime wrote:
ive never done that in a game,and think it should not be allowed. i consider this a cheap tactic.if u were playing the board game with friends this would *NEVER* happen. and if to be allowed,something should be done so that all the other players dont have to sit for 3 to 5 minutes looking at the screen,mabe a option u can click on that allows you to hold yr cards,place yr men an end turn,at a cost of not being allowed to attack while yr under the *hold cards* option,as well as something to indicate this so other players know.also only being able to hold for 1-2 rounds max,,then if u dont use them and allow time to run out.like max said above..u will loose 3 cards.

embrace it or stop it imo.
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
aeronautic wrote:
Missing the turn to not add a card and get a better value is a cheap trick, because, it is designed to also take the heat off you where other players think you are going to be booted.

The gentlemanly thing to do is to take your turn, as Hammer says and place your reinforcements then end your turn. This is normal play and tells everyone your intentions and allows them to play accordingly.

I wouldn't say, make them lose a card for doing it, because of genuine Internet disconnection situations.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
HammerTime wrote:
this is referring to having 5 cards aeron...and the player letting time run out so they dont have to trade that round
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
aeronautic wrote:
Ah yes, sorry, I forgot about the auto turn in of 5 if you play the turn.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
what if the solution is, if you miss a turn (forced 5 card trade in), that you only get the value of what the trade was on that original turn?
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
What about genuine Internet disconnection situations?
Frantically trying to get back online to find that the game you were about to win, you probably won't now, because you lose out on 20 or so troops when turning in.
The situation has happened to me a couple of times, as if somebody switched me off because I was going to win (now that is bad luck).
Sygmassacre wrote:
Yes it can't be regulated just in case of internet connections but if that's the case then the player should turn and place only on the next round to be fair to the other players
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
elysium5 wrote:
The biggest pet peeve for me is having to wait. I am a suspicious kinda person so when a player misses their turn, I always expect an ambush. I've seen it enough times.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
Hoodlum - Sep 18, 11:23 PM
what if the solution is, if you miss a turn (forced 5 card trade in), that you only get the value of what the trade was on that original turn?
Then the strategic value of missing a turn is lower, but it's still present.

If I have 5 cards, and my victim-which-I-built-in-so-only-me-can-kill-him has 4 cards, I will probably not get a double turn in. If he has 5, I will...

Still, this is defenitely a better solution than it is now. I'll put it in a list somewhere, but it's quite some bookkeeping to do this right I fear.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
We could add "intentionally misses turns" to the report tab and have it affect their fairplay score. It's not a perfect solution either but it would take only minutes to implement.