Reeling in new users.
  • 14 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Hoodlum wrote:
Wondering if it would be a good idea to have an automatically created 2p game always floating in the live game room. (it doesn't time out) Like the games that are hosted in tournaments without any players in them yet. So when new players join they can quickly jump in a game and not have to wait long hopefully before it starts.

When this floating game starts, another automatic 2p empty game is created for anyone to join. typical settings in the most likeness of a risk board game. classic map / adjacent cards / 5 minute turns.

I think this will help to reel in the new sign ups to at least play one game. If there is no game, a lot of new users will take off, forget d12 and may never return again.

I have never had to wait too long for a 2p game to start.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
I think it's a good idea.

Also very true about the new players not sticking around. I referred a 13 year old male friend of my niece recently and he joined a 2p game where the other player just missed both turns, he never had any satisfaction of the game or even a game and I can't convince him that this is not how it always is here. He simply won't log in any more!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
I think this is a pretty good idea. Maybe we could go every further and have a big button "quick play" in the lobby. This will put the player in a game that is suited for his level, or make a new two-player game if there are no suitable games.

Definitely worth thinking about further ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
yeah, perfect. "quick play" button as one of the rooms with basic 2p settings, like a quick create.
Hoodlum wrote:
ohh, i knew i wrote this somewhere. few years ago..

bump..

also, had another thought about new sign ups.

While giving tutorials, the only thing that takes extra explaining, is the cards. Riskers know cards. Explaining where the cards are located could be easier. I think maybe at least a recognizeable card icon could help draw the eye to where they should be looking and where I am trying to tell them to look lol
A hover over the icon, could explain the colour coded cards etc..eg..need 3 of the same colour, or 1 of each..black is wild bla bla.
Cireon wrote:
I am not entirely sure if I understand. It already says "cards" in text; where exactly would you put the icon?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Hoodlum wrote:
maybe where it says cards :)

Right now it just says the word cards.To someone that doesn't even know risk, then that doesn't probably even make any sense if they see the word in the first place while looking at other stuff. If they do see the word..what cards?
It all makes sense eventually when it's time to trade up, to those that know what risk is.
anyway..an example..
cards example (click to show)

Cireon wrote:
Happy to implement that if people find that useful.
dough_boy wrote:
I am indifferent. Seems like since it should only take one or two games for them to learn it might not be worth it. We could alter the "cash" screen to have a link explaining the cashing. Also I wouldn't mind it if the cash window said how many you were going to get. Most of the times the bonus is off the screen so I have to scroll down, etc.
Cireon wrote:
Oh I like adding the current and maybe the next bonus to the cash screen!
Matty wrote:
The card icons seems nice, but it's also losing info about what territory names they have (and if you do a hover - then you can't click on it anymore to highlight them on the map), so that should be an option IMO.

I do like the idea of the current and next card bonus on the turn-in popup.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
Hoodlum wrote:
Was again trying explaining to another new player to risk what cards are, where they are. Maybe a card tab is a good idea.
[image]
Cireon wrote:
I don't really like putting cards in there for multiple reasons:

1. The tabs on the right are supposed to be the meta-section of the game. The game log describes the history and people consider the chat as part of the game, but they don't actually represent the game board. For user interface understanding it is important that we keep these things grouped together.
2. What tab do we want visible by default? We have to either hide the game chat or the cards, and that is bad. Cards should always be visible imo.

Adding a new column is not an option either because our interface is already cramped on small screens.
Adding a tab to the left set of tabs is probably not a good idea either because there are already a lot of those AND those all are logically themed together already as well.