Potential Gameplay option addition
  • 2 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
asdf wrote:
Posting on the basis of a discussion that I had with Hoodlum and another player a couple of days ago in live chat.

The newer versions of the board game from Hasbro have introduced a new card turn in strategy. Effectively, every card drawn has either 1 or 2 stars assigned to it (30 cards with 1 star and 12 cards with 2 stars). The cards can be held for as long as the player chooses and be redeemed for troops (as per an escalating matrix, see link below) with the only restriction being that minimum 2 and maximum 10 stars are redeemed in 1 go. In this format, the territory being turned in does not matter, only the number of stars matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_%28game%29#Alternate_card_turn-in_rules

At best, it is a suggestion for another option that can be included. Please go through the link and share your thoughts. Some Benefits and Issues IMO listed below

Benefits:
1. It retains the charm of Increasing payoffs without having the figures snowball into hundreds of troops
2. It allows players to hold cards for as long as they like instead of forced turn-ins

Issues:
1. The snowballing troops in increasing turn in bonus games does make some games really interesting [and there is an existing solution of capping the troops].
2. According to the official rules, It takes away any free troops that you get from turning in cards for territories control by you. However, if this is a big concern, we can continue to keep awarding 2 free troops for those territories in our version.
X. I'm not sure about the coding complexity involved
Cireon wrote:
I definitely think this is an interesting option. It depends on how many player are interested in seeing this option if we decide on implementing this. Another issue is that we would have to find a good way of displaying this.

The new Join Game interface allows us to add these options, but this needs some changes to the infrastructure, so this will probably only be implemented if there is a large amount of support for this.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card