One of these ideas for the bottom of the list
  • 19 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
PsymonStark wrote:
Many times players don't know the map and consequently where a territory or a region is placed. What I suggest is similar to what we have in the log now, where you click a name to show where the corresponding territory is, but for players to use. I think it could be a territory tag, I don't know, [terrid=1234] and would display the target symbol wherever corresponds.

For example if in a World Classic game, I write [terrid=11] the game chat would show Greenland and if someone clicks it the target would focus on Greenland. A tool in the game chat for choosing the territory and get the tag on the chatbox would be the optimum solution.

This idea will surely have the lowest of the priorities, but I don't know, it would be nice. Opinions on this?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Vexer wrote:
I wonder what the overhead would be to check every line of chat sent for a territory name associated with the map and do the tag thing for you. I guess it wouldn't matter to the server if the client javascript did it.

I think it would be easier for me to just type the territory name but I guess it you're on a tablet it would be nice to have a list of territories in the preset chat (or somewhere else) to click on.

It's hard to say when anyone would have time for this. I had two things I got done on my to do list yesterday but found 5 more things that needed fixing while doing it.
PsymonStark wrote:
I know, I just propose it for whenever someone has time and is willing. I probably would forget the idea soon if I didn't write it...
Cireon wrote:
I thought of this too. I'd like to mark player names in the chat as well, but we have to be careful with things like queries. As Vexer said, doing it client side could probably be done, but it also has to be done in such a way that it is user friendly.

It is somewhere on the list... down there.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
If you do it by ID (a territory number) than doing it clientside is trivial. I already do exactly that for the cards (and in the log). It just has something like this in the javascript code:

card-thing.onclick="showTerritoryMarker(1);";.

(here I use the number 1 to indicate alaska, this number is only used when playin the world classic map).

But then ppl have to type that number manually. Parsing "Alaska", "alaska", "alasca", "alaka" and other typo's of a word to a 1 is harder to do.

Doing it in the preset chat is doable, though ppl then can only say the name of a territory, and not use it in a sentence.

edit: There is a list of territory names in the javascript code, so looping all of them (clientside) can convert a properly spelled territory name if nescesary. But I think (especially for weird maps with accents) that using the ID is the best).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I had thought about this, don't know if hard to program and/or possible to do:

[image]

Click the scope, then click a territory circle and the corresponding tag appears at the end of the chat message. This way we would get rid of all problems about mispells and IDs.
Matty wrote:
That would be possible yes, looks like a nice solution.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Can we have the highlighter function also for the territory names that are in the game log, same as we have it for the cards? This is my request.

What Psymon is proposing here it is not very clear for me... But I am confident ;)
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
Bishop, it is already in the log. Have you ever tried clicking those names? :P

I suggested something to enable those links in the game chat too, for players to use.
The_Bishop wrote:
Really? Oh, Jesus I didn't know it! Well sorry... Why nobody told me that?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
Blame Matty, he did it, and didn't sent every user in DXII a PM about it :P
Matty wrote:
Ok, so the [terrid=#] thing works now, but only the very basics.

So no actual territory names, nor anything special, it's just a clickable link now.

It also does it in the lobby chats, but of course the links don't do anything. Oh well.

Don't have much time now, so no button that adds a nice link to the chat bar, you'll have to type yourself for now.
I could add that, but I think some other things need to be done first, so it will take a long time before I get to do these things.

Still, it works now sort of :)

P.S. I hope I didn't break anything ;)
Matty wrote:
No, but if you type [terrid=11] and someone clicks on the link in your chat it works.

How to get to the number 11? Well, if you hover over the territory, your browser should show you some sort of indication of the url or link.
For me it sais "javascript:updateStepBar(11)". So that means if you click it it will update the step bar for territory 11.

P.S. LOL, it also does so in the forums. Ok, @Cireon, can you improve on my work for a bit? Maybe add a boolean in the game (model/play.php calls the smiley parser if that helps) so that it only parses it there....

P.P.S. I'm using firefox, and it shows the link in the bottom left.