Suggestion to retain a game history on the maps
  • 6 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Strategery wrote:
I know this would take some coding, but it would GREAT if we were able to view a game's history by viewing the map and clicking through the turns to see how the game progressed. The game log is good, but i'ts often hard to visualize the game that way.

Thanks.
UltrasPlot wrote:
This has been suggested multiple times before and I believe is on Vexer's to-do list, but that same list is like 10 pages long.

(If you can program, please consider helping them out)
Cireon wrote:
We are actually working on an external program that imports games from the server and allows you to play it back. The problem is that we do not save enough data right now to consistently reproduce the game. We have to use the logs to calculate things back, which would be very expensive to run on the servers.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
UltrasPlot wrote:
Why not just introduce it for future games when complete - the earliest games on the site have no logs anyway. Or am I mistaken?
Cireon wrote:
That is indeed possible, though I think if you want to take this serious, you should completely redesign the data structures behind games and logs.

Additionally, this still doesn't take away the fact that this does stress the server severely, and we are already having a hard time keeping up with all the live games being played.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
See my reply in this topic:
http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&act=view&id=1929&board=20&lastpost=1#post-28770

The program is open source, written in Python, feel free to contribute, fork and send me a pull request.

If you actually can get something here I'll defenitely update the log data to something more suitable for you :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria