Different troops that interact differently
  • 15 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
VagrantShadow wrote:
How about we make the Europe advanced map a more prevalent idea in our gaming. You can receive different kinds of troops that have different attributes. Such as a soldier, tank, or bomber. Give the gave a little more than just simple stratagem. We have different kinds of soldiers that can provide unique tasks similar to chess. Such as a defense bonus to tanks and planes can move more freely. And instead of straight up reinforcements, you receive points that allow you to buy the different types of units. ( I know I just like stole different games and mashed them but I think this would be pretty cool.)
Cireon wrote:
This would result in a completely different game. Apart from the huge amount of work it would take to program the mechanics, update the user interface, etc., this is just not Risk anymore, but a fully fletched Real-Time Strategy game. It seems to me we should not go that way.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Cireon wrote:
I think it could be an enjoyable game, but I like the simplicity of Risk as well. It's a lot easier to have a good overview of the playing field.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
UltrasPlot wrote:
Vagrant, there is one other site in particular that uses the multi-troop game as its bread and butter, but not here. This site focuses on classic RISK - hence why there are no 'special attack' rules except on Europe 1814. I think I am disallowed to say the name of the site here but if you PM me I think I can... Fendi/Cireon affirm pls?
Fendi wrote:
I'm actually interested too in knowing the site (not that I'll leave D12)
UltrasPlot wrote:
I'll just tell you it's where -NoXoN- ran off to :P

Now I'm scared to tell Fendi!!!
Vexer wrote:
what? I've explicitly mentioned artofwar.cc many times. I've even promoted it. I think it has a lot of potential and they need our experienced players to give advice as they build the site.

There's no reason you can't play a modified risk like game and risk at the same time.
UltrasPlot wrote:
I must have confused these forum rules with CC's since I think advertising is forbidden there.

I'm quite active on Art of War too and it's nice except for the lack of the fun conversations midgame like here and the fact that there is imo far too much maneuverability mid-turn.

tbh I think more of us should try it because it's a good site, just slightly lacking in community - there's like 16 active players there.
Vexer wrote:
Yeah, CC will ban you for mentioning a competitor. Well, when you suck that bad you have to protect yourself. I have seen the size of CC cut in half in the last 4 years. There are simply better alternatives. The only thing they have going for them is their size, but that is also a problem.
killrick wrote:
i like the idea ya got there vex it sounds like fun .i wouldnt want to be a programer around your crib tho as this sounds like a nitemare for the programers
the art of war site is interesting but a wee confusing
no live games there either
when i have too much time on my hands ill try to figger it all out
mabee read them 400 pages of how to play
as far as cc goes GAG!! it bites.big site but not friendly like here
and dont ...whatever you do, DONT chat about risk in there chat area or you will be booted there wierd like that
as far as a risk site goes this one is by far the best out there. we have great staff and an amazing comunity
the planes and tanks sound like a lot of fun....let me know when its all ready
bombs away
UltrasPlot wrote:
Can I just say that this site is the best that exists?

CC is a literal trash heap of a site, according to its own moderator ;)

Art of War... good potential but lack of a skilled community. If you happen to visit I'm ultrasplot there too.

WZ has been migrated here by Hoodlum, apparently

Sooooo anything else I need to mention?
circle314 wrote:
Art of War (of which I'm the owner) and D12 have a good relationship I like to think. The original creator of this site and I are friends on Facebook. The current owner of D12 and I communicate reasonably frequently about game design, how to stop exploits, improve gameplay, etc. While both sites are in the same space, I don't think of us as competitors, for two reasons. Firstly, we're both relatively small sites (compared to CC or AtWar for example), so we're not exactly competing with each other - the market is far bigger than D12 and AoW, and there's enough to go around. Secondly, AoW isn't looking to be a Risk site, it was just easy and convenient to start with Risk type games, the flavour of the site is destined to be different in the long run.
OqthbaBinNafe wrote:
That would be great.. Maybe we could less complicate it by only adding archers and cavalry along with the infantry.

Archers - Defence.
Cavalry - Attack.
Infantry - both to a lesser degree.

UltrasPlot wrote:
nice to see you mr pi :)

probably not getting that here because it takes a heck of a lot of programming time. suggest that you use Art of War for those needs ;)