Its meant to be played at the same time but too many people take advantage of this set up.
  • 34 posts
  • Page 2 of 3
Hoodlum wrote:
You know how there is an option for playing someone with a certain amount of points to keep out unskilled or probably new players. How
bout the option to 'keep players out' that have an 'experienced' (x) amount of points. That might
help to keep out Kelly's situation. I personally don't even look at who I am playing against before I press join, and have had
a few requests not to join their games, that I requested myself to be added to their lists so I don't accidently join if they feel that
strongly about not playing against me.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Kellyxc92 wrote:
and I don't mind when its an accident. I get it it happens but when there are people the will follow you just because they know they can.
Votazap wrote:
While I do find waiting annoying times, Beta is right that patience is key. I so have a solution to this.
WHAT IF: you have 1 min to place troops or your turn ends, this way they still get enough time to think but wont be too obnoxious about it.
This would be "add-on" option
UltrasPlot wrote:
The problem here is that said players actively seek out Kelly knowing that her style of play is ineffective against theirs. I agree with Vota, but I also believe you should, for a 3 minute game:
Place troops before clock hits 1:59 or turn ends
End attack phase before clock hits 0:29 or turn ends

This should settle the problem and provide another fun gametype.
UltrasPlot wrote:
I just realized premiums can set maximum points too. I did that once to keep Muz out haha jk :)
Vexer wrote:
I am currently working on rewriting the same time turn code so that it actually makes some sense which will make it easier to modify. I will start modifying after all the glitches are dealt with.

I don't want there to be a lot of different options. I want the default to be the best settings. Same time games are Beta which means they can change, and they will. I don't see any reason to be able to add time in a same time game especially when the timer resets when you make a kill. Rather than being able to add time you should choose a turn length long enough to accommodate how fast you can take your turn. Adding time will be disabled once I incorporate the add time code into the new turn code.

I am aware of the turbo mode as suggested by clarke but first I want to fix Same Time games and then see if enough players still want a new 'Turbo' game mode. The one thing I don't like about that idea is that sometimes you need to be able to move to the fortify stage in order to save yourself while someone is attacking you.

Waiting is a waste of time. Why make a 20 minute game take 30 minutes? The problem is that how the game is currently designed there are various advantages to waiting. Unless you have a good strategic reason to move to the next phase first then often you would be a fool to do so. Experienced players know this, so when two of them play each other then it could come down to waiting to the last few seconds and hoping you can out-click your opponent.

You are either waiting to gain an advantage or waiting so that your opponent doesn't get an advantage. Well, I may have a solution to the latter problem. If every player is waiting to fortify to the last second to prevent others from having an advantage then all the players wait for nothing. I propose having a check box that tells the game that you are ready for the next phase. If all players have checked the box then you all move to the attack phase (or fortify) phase together. You can still move on to the next phase independently if you need to but there would no longer be a need for all players to wait just in case.

I also think it would be a good idea to reserve the last 15 seconds (30 for unlimited) for fortification. You can still begin fortifying prior to this but no attacks will be allowed during this time. The reason for this is that some players might not ever check the 'done attacking' box.

Also, very soon in live games, for all games types and turn lengths, you will have 2 minutes to start your turn or it will be missed.
Matty wrote:
I think you should be able to add time - but in same time games you will add time for everyone in the game, not only yourself.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
I think you missed the point Matty. These players wait for everyone else to end their turn and in the last second they add time which would normally add time for everyone except in this case you are the only one who gets to use the extra time which defeats the whole concept of Same Time.

Now I can imagine you arguing that in a 3 minute turn game you might need more time just to make the first kill, especially if you had to run to the bathroom or answer the phone or something.

How about this, you can only use the add time button in the first 2 minutes in Same Time games. Would that be a good enough compromise?
Antonis_xania wrote:
I believe if you make too many changes you will ruin the game.

The only problem i see is when players wait to run out of time so that they wont have to delay starting their next turn.

I propose to have "add time" removed and when a player runs out of time instead of starting immediately his next turn he should lose it.

As for the waiting part i believe it is part of the game and depends entirely on the setup. To make a player not wait too long you have to give him a reason (bonus) to end his turn before his opponent. Best reason for me is to delay him a little longer from starting next turn. Now if you finish your turn first usually you have time to attack a region before the other player begins his turn. If you make that time a little longer (having time to attack 2 regions) than you will solve the problem

And when you have time you really need to fix the dice... You have the BEST SITE BY FAR and great moderators but having played thousands of 2p games noone can convince me that the dices are accurate...
If you fix it the site will be perfect

UltrasPlot wrote:
Well the code is certainly written to be balanced, yet we still have so many complainers... including myself, admittedly. IDK really
BETA wrote:
Thanks vexer for all the work into this.

I like the idea to disable the option to add time in same-time with 30 seconds left. a minute left is also good. but 30 seconds seems to be a good cutoff for me, if I was pulled away from the computer for a bit.

Vexer, your idea to have a check box declaring readiness for the next phase, I understand well, in regards to moving to the fortifying stage, but it seems less helpful for moving from place troops stage to attack stage. Unless if both players checked the box, they then have FIFTEEN seconds to place, or the troops are automatically assigned or lost.

The biggest waiting time in my experience is to wait for the other player to place first. Sometimes, we also wait to see the dice from our opponent's attack before placing as well.

How about implementing the 'best parts' from Clarke's idea -
To have each phase END after a certain amount of time. Players can still 'fast-forward' to the next phase, but phases end after a set amount of time.

A possible setup for 3 minute turns can be -
 60 seconds to place.
after sixty seconds, the troops are automatically placed on your capital. or on the first territory you own (alphabetical order) or just a random placement.
 90 seconds to attack. once this time is up, you can NOT attack.
 30 seconds to fortify.

Players would be able to place, attack, and fortify earlier.
But forcing the ends of phases earlier, moves the waiting game up as the decision of where to place and what and where to attack come earlier.
Votazap wrote:
I personally dont like this, it takes away the freedom of when to do what
BETA wrote:
@ultra, true. it takes more skill, less room to simply exploit same-time noobs' mistakes.
Like.

@votazap, you would be free to go ahead to any phase as early as you choose.
BOTH players also have limited time within the turn to complete the phases. That applies to both players.
This, I think, would limit the waiting time, and still leave enough room to properly execute the phases, even leaving some time for skilled players to still wait a little.
The strategies would probably change somewhat. To the type of game you and kelly were asking for.
Same time pros can probably get used to this in no time as well.