Like video game multiplayer set ups
  • 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
cbt711 wrote:
Make rank mean something other than an icon. A ranking rewards system would be awesome.

Real basic example:
At lance corp you can create fog games
At another rank, caps games,
Higher still same time games
Make officer you can make team games
Make major you can test beta maps

It would be awesome. You could join any type of game but can't create your own until you made that rank. This will be hated and probably never happen, but no one liked call of duty 4 at first either... Countless hours later, everyone couldn't stop playing.

These could all be moved to way lower ranks than the example. Or maybe number of games or token levels instead of rank. It also lets the newer players only play the more basic game types. You could unlock unlimited fortify, maps, etc. just a random idea before I fall asleep
Vexer wrote:
I have had this idea before and it isn't very popular. And I think using the idea to this extent would have unforeseen negative consequences like not having enough variety in the game lobby.

I would prefer to keep it simple like you can't play fog, caps or sametime until you are a private and you can't create them until you are a private first class.
lifeinpixels wrote:
I don't think cbt's idea would take away variety from the game lobby if his ideas are all within the first few ranks, and players could still join these games even if they couldn't create them. Also, having non-essential features like beta testing reserved for the higher ranks seems like a fun, harmless incentive for players to reach for them (or just buy them if they have the points).
PsymonStark wrote:
And would you lose the ability of creating those games if you lose the rank?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
cbt711 wrote:
No I think you could tie it to buying rank, so the php side of the server knows you've already bought that rank therefore met that requirement at some point. So you would keep it forever after that.
Vexer wrote:
@pixels players prefer to join games rather than create them. (Over half of the 300,000+ games were created by just 175 players) Putting additional limits on what games you can create will discourage players from creating games all together and the preferences of those 175 players will dominate. They will play the settings they like and variety will suffer.
lifeinpixels wrote:
That's an interesting stat; I didn't think the imbalance was nearly that large. I like your version more now.

edit: just a thought on increasing variety, have we considered featured maps/settings per week with a bonus like double tokens or something similar? Maybe this deserves its own thread.
Matty wrote:
@Pixels: I believe there is a topic about that somewhere, problem: Long term games (but find that topic and answer there on the things said).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria