auto rematch
  • 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Vexer wrote:
I read about an idea on the artofwar.cc forums that I think is brilliant. The site's owner, e_i_pi, said he wouldn't be upset if I implemented his idea here.

It's a game option where you play two 2p games as a set. The drop for the second game is a rematch of the first game with the starting territories and turn order swapped. The second game would immediately follow the first game and use the same game number.

This isn't something that I can code for quite awhile because I have to finish up the things I have already started first but I wanted to see what the interest level was.

Now in return for his great idea, try out his site. It's in the early stages and desperately needs new players to get off the ground. It's not quite the same thing as dominating12 but it has a lot of potential.
cbt711 wrote:
I really like the idea, but fear the point distribution of a split would obviously kill the higher ranked player. Other than that, sounds awesome. Seems like an incredible pain to program though.
Crystal wrote:
It could be that that if you won a game and lost a game, there would be no points exchanged.
Vexer wrote:
Or in other words you only get points for winning both games.
PsymonStark wrote:
I like it, it's a nice twist.

If one player wins both games, would he be getting the same points he would get for winning one normal game, twice the points, or something in between?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
Interesting idea, but is drop that much more important than dice rolls?
Im not sure, but would be nice to try.

This is one of the reasons why I'm playing a Best Of Five 2v2 right now, though drops and maps will change every game.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I like the idea - it makes the game fairer! I know the game is significantly luck-based, but this game mode would be very useful for those who want their games to be governed more by their skill! Once I played a game when my opponent started with the whole of Australia - I would have loved to be able to rematch him with his starting territories to stop his irritating bragging!

I hope it can be introduced in the future!
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

tontot wrote:
Some concerns:

- Not sure how it will work on Fog games

- If the player only get points for winning both game, it is unfair to the player with lower points since assuming if the points correctly reflect the skills.

It will be harder for the player with lower points win 2 match in a row against someone (much) better. If the 2 matches are played separately like now and each win one match, the player with lower points still gain more points.

My take on it:
The idea is interesting but agreed with Matty, dice rolls maybe more important than drop.
So if it is too difficult to program, it will not worth it

My suggestion:
For 1 vs 1 game only, when the game is finished, a pop up shows up asking for rematch. When both players agree, a new game start with the same format.

The idea is that people playing 1 vs 1 will likely play the same format a couple of times in a row. So help them keep playing without having to go out and set an exact new game.
Cireon wrote:
I think this format should be decided upon beforehand. So basically for two players there exists a new gametype: "Dual Deathmatch" or something (what do I care, it's just a name :P).
I am not sure how much fog would influence this game type. I assume you are talking about knowing where the other players starts out, but as you can see most of the map anyway, there isn't much hiding going on anyway.
Regarding skill points. I don't think it's a problem that it becomes a lot harder for a noob to gain points from the stronger player. The stronger player is supposed to win on basis of skill. Right now 2v2 games are too much based on luck, which makes it unfair for the stronger player, so I don't see how this new game type any more unfair.

Please, go for it!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
alee1227 wrote:
I really like this idea. As of now I hate 2p games, but this would definitely get me to try them again.
tramadol wrote:
I for one would play more 1v1 games if the drop was reversed on the 2nd game as suggested.

I see one possible scenario reoccurring, there will be an awful lot of game 2's played solely to save losing points from the lucky drop of game 1 by the other player and if you look like getting a draw in games, there will be a lot of resignations. This is not a bad thing, it just means a lot of games played for no gain (or loss), but on the plus side, you always have a chance to use your skill against luck by the reversed drop and not lose points you normally would have in that case.

For me, it's a 100% plus, as you currently have no way of redeeming your lost points due to a lucky drop if the other player rejects a rematch and even if you won the next, you would most probably win half the points you lost previously.
Cireon wrote:
I think this option should be decided upon. There should not be an option after the first game to do a rematch, because that would not only be harder to do infrastructurally, but I also think this is an agreement you have to make before the game.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
PsymonStark wrote:
I think this should be an advanced option (only active when 2 players is chosen). And in the new "Join game" should appear

Gametype: Deathmatch (with rematch)
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I love the idea, and if we add the Vexer's "modified dice" it gets better.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
circle314 wrote:
cbt711 - Jun 16, 12:55 AM
I really like the idea, but fear the point distribution of a split would obviously kill the higher ranked player. Other than that, sounds awesome. Seems like an incredible pain to program though.
Implementation shouldn't be terribly difficult, it's just a matter of writing the game to the database as normal for the first game, then getting all the database writes and swapping the player 1 and player 2 territory ownership when writing the second game. The main thing to keep in mind is that it should probably take 2 game slots, so before a freemium player can join/create, check if they have 2 slots available.

Maybe you could have it that if someone wins both games, they get points for both games, but if it's a draw then halve the points that each player gets.

Anyhow, thanks for the props for Art of War, good luck implementing this feature. Happy gaming everyone!

- e_i_pi