All information in one place.
  • 19 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Matty wrote:
I created a join-game tab (Thanks alot @ Cireon, Thorpe and Vexer for ideas), this is currently only visible for team games, but should replace the join game box in all games in the future.
We decided we need for several reasons:
1) It's too easy to join a game and miss out information (theres a bit of everything everywhere).
2) we need to add more information (like for team games or for advanced dice).
3) Newbies join capital-games (for example) without knowing what it is, this way we can tell them a bit more easy what it is.

It's live here.

So what do you guys think?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I'd say call the tab Game Info, and don't make it dissappear when the game starts, so players can check it, just disable the joining options. Link there when Join Game is hit anyway.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
tramadol wrote:
I really like this!
I would however recommend making the Join Game button outlined in perhaps blue to make it stand out from the Colour options menu and Password input field above it.. just aesthetics!
I like the fact that things that are not the normal are highlighted in red, but what is this Dice thing? Are there dice options now? If so, I assume that "Balanced Dice" is a Conquer Club type of dice where you can humanly expect X (For) & Y (Against)? I don't like this! Never again will you be able to get lucky or unlucky! Boring!

I would agree with the suggestion of calling it "Game Info" if:
The tab stays in place and is selectable to view the game info and that the current game info along the bottom of the screen is no longer used.

I would disagree with the suggestion of calling it "Game Info" if:
The tab disappears after joining and all the game info is still listed along the bottom of the screen.
Matty wrote:
Hmmmz, I hoped ppl would hover over and actually read the description it should give, but apparently that's not the case.
I'll see if I can do anything about that.

If you did you would know as much about the balanced dice as I know - Vexer made them, I just added them to the list.

I can add an option to keep the join game tab visible after the game started (if you have all tabs including team chat open, it doesn't fit on a 1024 px wide screen anymore), and rename it to "Game info" then, but I don't think I'll remove the options in the bottom of the screen.

I'll think about the join button, but why blue? Maybe something like in the LTG page would fit better with the site.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
Maybe divide the chat tab in two, for general and team chat to leave space for the other tab?
cbt711 wrote:
This is awesome, hovering helped a lot. What's up with the balanced dice thing? 3 on 2 over powering for the 2?
tramadol wrote:
Sorry, really didn't expect there to be mouse over Alt Text on the listed information. I would indeed have noticed what the Dice option was then.
Why Blue? I like Blue!... Kidding! I don't know, I just meant anything to make it stand out, but that is just for the look.

If you are having trouble fitting in the Tabs, you could use the overlap effect (Like filing cabinets use). There is also a lot of margin space on the words.
Vexer wrote:
@Matty, the hover tips would be more noticeable if they were more like the ones on the old create game page. Those pop up fast and are black. Probably don't need to be underlined with a dashed line though.

@Everyone

Balanced dice:

There are 3 possible outcomes when rolling 3 dice vs 2 dice. Attacker loses 2, defender loses 2 or both lose 1.

Normal dice:
Defender loses two 37.17%
Attacker loses two 29.26%
Each lose one 33.58% of the time

Balanced dice:

Defender loses two 20.3%
Attacker loses two 12.2%
Each lose one 67.5% of the time

The forthcoming balanced dice option will essentially double the chances that both sides lose one each in a 3 dice vs. 2 dice battle. 3 dice vs 1, 2 vs 1, and 2 vs 2 are not modified. This option does not remove luck from the equation because 1/3 of the time you will not get the result you expect and it is still possible to get a sequence of unexpected results giving you bad dice.

This option will be especially useful for 2 player games.
Matty wrote:
I changed the hover (Ctrl-F5 if it's a huge mess of text), completely removed the dashed/dotted lines. It looks better now, but it's less clear that you can hover.
PsymonStark wrote:
Maybe an small '?' there?

PS: (wip) allow turn in at 3 cards. I like that description :P Probably it's the setting that need more descriptive explanation there.
PsymonStark wrote:
Lol @whoever changed the pop up for advanced cards ^^
Cireon wrote:
I still think the colour selection should be the same as on the create game page (with the already chosen colours greyed out or something). I would even consider making clicking the colour be the join button. That saves an extra click.

Also, I think there should be a pop up asking you "do you really want to join this game?" if it has a "weird" setting. These pop ups should be permanently disablable after the player played at least 3(?) games with that option and maybe some additional requirements (at least X games overall, minimum of Y points), which would serve as a proxy for the advanced cards for example, allowing us to remove the password requirement.

The pop-ups should also be toggleable in the user settings somewhere.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
tramadol wrote:
I Like the hover text box now, more readable and stays on screen for more than 2 seconds.
Only problem is the box and text go off the right side of the screen so I can't read it all.

Like the layout better without the dashed lines.

I was going to send an example of overlaid tabs for you to fit more in, but as I was trying to learn to do the graphics to show you what I mean, my computer restarted itself and when I logged back in to screen-shot it again, the tabs had changed from rounded corners to square corners. Have you just done that?

If you want I can get someone to put an example together for me and post it here?

Also a typo on Turn Length text box "effect" should be "affect".
Matty wrote:
@Psymon, hehehe

@Tramadol,
I think the tabs are fine right now, and I can move the help-boxes a bit to the left, that's no problem.

Some ppl think that the tabs do not fit with the x12 layout (due to rounded corners I believe). If you can find some that fits better you're very welcome to come up with something, but I think the space isn't that much of a problem. Just don't enable the team chat before the game's started (and don't enable the join game after its started.

Also, no, I haven't changed anything today and on my screen the tabs still have round corners.