• 12 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
gragg9 wrote:
I don't know if this has already been discussed and considered, by why isn't there a lifetime premium option? I for one would purchase it. It would be a great way to get loyal players and of course it would cost more which means the site gets supported. Thoughts?
LordVader wrote:
I would agree, but say you get banned for something...just lost out on the set price. Thats the biggest problem I see
Fendi wrote:
I'm actually not a big fan of this idea, having a one year premium is already a lot and can seem like a lifetime to some. Besides, it's not like buying premium is a long and painful process.

And what if you change your mind after a couple of months? Spending all that money will seem like a waste and will probably make you angry.
SpamFree wrote:
I actually thought this would be a great idea, but was too busy playing (and too lazy) to post a suggestion.
I think most people would be fine with such an arrangement. I don't think people will buy a "lifetime" membership without knowing what they are getting into. Perhaps a "lifetime membership could be priced at the cost of 8 annual memberships.
Those who spring for such a membership may be better behaved and take a more active role in the site. (Sure, that may be a bit optimistic but it could happen.)
The amount for the membership really only becomes an issue when someone gets banned, then it would be a waste.

[image]

(On a side note, I wish there were a postal box or other address, to which, a payment could be physically sent.)

Cireon wrote:
I see two immediate problem with this:

1. What happens if this site stops or goes down? I am not saying we are anywhere close to that happening, but maybe in two years this site will stop existing due to a Dominating 12 game exploding so big the whole site gets blown up. Is that part of the risk those people took for buying a lifetime premium?
I think that if people pay you for a service, you should be able to provide that service. If you pay for one year premium: we are much more able to promise we will give you the service for a year than for a lifetime. What is meant with "lifetime"? How many years guaranteed service do you get? There are a lot of legal things we would have to figure out for this.

2. Cool, we get money now, but if this site continues existing, we (I say "we", though I am not really involved in any money stuff, so... read: "they" :D) might as well be losing income in the future. Not saying it is a whole lot and we do bind people to this site with it, maybe regenerating more income eventually, but I am not a huge fan of this.

Also, problem 3: I think only very few people will consider this, so it is just not worth looking into.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
SpamFree wrote:
I think that long-term, it is better for the site monetarily, because as Fendi said, people may not stick around forever, but if they buy "Lifetime Premium" when they are more excited, and the excitement falls off the cash has been paid. No refunds!

If someone were to buy "Lifetime Premium" at the current low price of say 8 years premium now, they will be ahead of the curve of the site growing huge with Premium pricing growing as well, a loyalty benefit for the players who were here "back in the day".

If the site dies, the membership still exists but is useless, ok, crap happens. Live with it. Make this crystal clear in the purchase process.

Though the majority may not consider this, the immediate cash infusion of the few who do, could help make the site more profitable until the site grows huge, helping to ensure that the service will continue. This all assumes Fendi doesn't take the cash and run, but I don't believe this is likely :)

[image]

SpamFree wrote:
I was just wondering. Has any further thought been given to this option?

This would make things much easier, for those who would participate, in that the expiration of Premium would no longer be hanging over their heads.

Also, for those so inclined, there could be an additional flare to the rank insignia and/or a banner/icon/whatever added to Lifetime Premium members' profile pages. (Of course, I'll kindly opt out of such frivolity but others may find this another compelling benefit.)

As I said earlier, there are no guarantees in life, and so long as it is clearly stated that "rules apply equally to ALL" at every opportunity I see no reason this should be any differently treated than any other membership length.

As far as the current process not being "painful", I tend to think opinions vary ;)

The addition of a Lifetime option and the initial expense, though seemingly large, would no doubt only be used by those of us who already know what we are getting into. If the site no longer seems as attractive for whatever reason later, that is not any different than any other purchase.

As I have repeatedly said, Crap happens. Buyer beware.

The other options would be there for those so inclined. Nobody is being forced to participate.

[image]

Cireon wrote:
This feature is not going to be added for the exact reasons I outlined above.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
SpamFree wrote:
In light of the new limitations on free play, can this be reconsidered??

Cireon wrote:
The limitations are not recent and have been around for several years, so no I don't think so.
SpamFree wrote:
Of course, given the admittedly small group interested in such an option, perhaps, an address for payments for such options, perhaps by cheque, for the few interested?