One thing that might clean up the lobby
  • 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
scaldwell17 wrote:
This is related, but separate from the problem lifeinpixels has brought up: http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=1234

Real-time games have an expiry for registration in order to cancel out players that aren't nearby the computer. Could a time-out be introduced for long-term games that would expire and remove games that don't come together from the lobby? After maybe a week? I'm in one right now that hasn't come together after a few months, and should probably expire to free up space on the screen.

(In this case, I know the players outside the site, so I'll nag the creator, but in other cases this might not be possible)
elysium5 wrote:
The sedentary games were being manually taken care of periodically but now with the eight hundred and sixty two million five hundred and seventy five thousand nine hundred and forty two exact same games that are being created all the time, it mighht be a little more of a hassle to go through them all.

I'm not sure how hard a timer would be to program into the create game feature, although I know the problem has been discussed and has not been forgotten.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
lifeinpixels wrote:
I am opposed to this idea. While it may help with the eight hundred and sixty two million five hundred and seventy five thousand nine hundred and forty two exact same games that elysium is talking about, there are also others which require a longer wait time to fill up. For example, a game with a minimum points level of 2500 might not fill up for many weeks, though it will eventually be played. Or an 8p game which is not as popular could take a while, though the players that do join really enjoy that type of unique gamely.

Also, the "same types" games usually fill up fairly quickly, at least compared to the average rate of single games.

My vote is still to hold tight until the option to stack or unstack same types of games is created. It's not much of a bother to scroll through a long list compared to the trouble of having every player waiting for long term games to continue refreshing their status every day or so.

elysium5 wrote:
The games that were being cleared out were one that were created by players who had been inactive for a very, very long time and your point about the length of time has been very much discussed. If there was a timer option it would be in terms of months, minimum.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
lifeinpixels wrote:
That's good. But, none of these "same type" games have lasted for more than a couple weeks, so this wouldn't really be solving that problem.
Vexer wrote:
You know how you have to click "still here" every 5 minutes in a live game, well I once had the idea that you would have to click that button every month for long term games. You could always rejoin the game if it hasn't started yet if you forget to click it in time. But if all of the players have been auto removed from the game because they didn't click "still here" then the game would get cancelled.

Clicking still here could be automated a little by putting a button on your list of pending games which would renew your timer in all the games you joined.
elysium5 wrote:
That sounds perfect.