• 19 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
westchester wrote:
Hey Everyone

I have just noticed how easy it is to hijack an account here, you just reset their password from any email, I am not sure if that has happened yet, but I want to request could you please improve your security system? if no account here got hijacked before, I'm surprised. Anyone else noticed this?
westchester wrote:
OOPS, wrong section, can someone move it to suggestions/feedback thread, I now think it works better in that section.
Matty wrote:
Did you actually try this?

If not, you are welcome to try to hack my account for a day :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
Wait wait wait, how would you reset a password from "any" e-mail? The reset password page asks for an e-mail address, yes, but that is not linked in any way to the username. If you press the "reset password" button from the login page, the username is not remembered.
What happens when you fill in an e-mail address in that box is that the site looks for an account with that e-mail address. Then it sends a password reset link to the e-mail address you provided, but that reset link will only work for accounts affiliated with the e-mail address.

I am not saying this site is well built, but there are no security leaks as far as I know off. As Matty says, feel free to attempt to breach these things, as long as you make sure you don't do any serious harm.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Vexer wrote:
Cireon is right. There is no security leak here. You can't specify what user name you want the password for. The only way you can hack their d12 account is if you have already hacked their email account.
edmondtheknight wrote:
hi, i want to delete my account (so it doesnt stay there without me ever using it again). Can you give me some guidance? Thanks
Cireon wrote:
The site is currently not built very well around supporting that. There is no concern with locking your account so it can't be accessed, but deletions are a bit of a problem. Could you provide some rationale as to why you want your account deleted exactly? Feel free to reach out using the messages system instead if you prefer not to discuss here.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
vikingo1337 wrote:
Hmm. Shouldn't it be possible to delete one's profile, without having to ask an admin for help? Perhaps with a confirmation email to be certain.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
Cireon wrote:
Why would that need to be possible?
dough_boy wrote:
Cireon
Why would that need to be possible?

GDPR, CCPA, CASL, the right to be forgotten, etc.
Cireon wrote:
It is fine if it requires a manual process.
edmondtheknight wrote:
yes, deletion of the account (in general) automatically stops receiving notification and promotions to the email, etc. but more importantly allows user privacy protection. If I want my email and details to be erased from your databases I should have option to do so. I wouldn't be surprised that not having that option impedes on some basic privacy rights. Then, if you are OCD or just very organized person, having lose ends online can be in least annoying. Anyhow, if you can, please delete this account. But if you cant, i can live with that but it might contribute to the clutter and give wrong impression of actual number of (active) players on this site.

I am "retiring" since I don't find outline of this platform to my liking. I am looking for more team gameplay and options for diplomacy. There are some good bits about this platform that I like but overal, not what i'm looking for. But thanks for your quick replies and for having me!
AlexCheckMate wrote:
edmondtheknight
yes, deletion of the account (in general) automatically stops receiving notification and promotions to the email, etc. but more importantly allows user privacy protection. If I want my email and details to be erased from your databases I should have option to do so. I wouldn't be surprised that not having that option impedes on some basic privacy rights. Then, if you are OCD or just very organized person, having lose ends online can be in least annoying. Anyhow, if you can, please delete this account. But if you cant, i can live with that but it might contribute to the clutter and give wrong impression of actual number of (active) players on this site.

I am "retiring" since I don't find outline of this platform to my liking. I am looking for more team gameplay and options for diplomacy. There are some good bits about this platform that I like but overal, not what i'm looking for. But thanks for your quick replies and for having me!

Maybe I'm replying in vain... but what exactly are you looking for, for team games? I myself enjoy playing team games too; I use diplomacy when I see fit. So I wonder what it is you feel is lacking. Also... you've only played 3 games; any chance you would like to give it a bit more time?

If not, then yeah, you should have the right to just fizzle out silently... so in case you're gone... I bid you farewell.

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
For as far as I'm concerned that is a fair request. Do note that we won't delete things like player data, because that would destroy the history of a game.

Also, removing the username from everywhere will be hard, but that should be possible (we cache it at several places).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria