discussion about a new set-up type
  • 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
skarni wrote:
Hi mates!

I do not know if there has already been a discussion about this option. when I play with my friends risk, sometimes instead of randomly dealing territory cards, we select one by one the territories. That would be an interesting option (i have no idea if it would be difficult to program). Of course that would not be possible in Fog or capitals games.

Something we also do sometimes, after dealing the cards or selecting them one-by-one, instead of placing 3 troops on each territry we own, we place the remaining troops one-by-one in the territories we want (I imagine that this can be set-up tedious sometimes)

What do you think about that?

Skarni
Llibertat Presos polítics catalans. Love Democracy.
Matty wrote:
One thing is that I sometimes do that as well, and like the idea, as many others do here.

The other thing I think is that if you want to do this fair, you have to choose a territory one by one, in turns.
For a live game maybe that is possible, though it would make its start slow, and for increasing games it might take longer to setup than to finish a game (sometimes that already is the case without that option).
But now long term games, 24 hours time to choose 1 territory, on maps like world expended that would mean it could take 90 days or so to start a game.
90 days!!! That is approximately 3 months, a quarter of a year. Just to start a game.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
Here's an idea that would help you get more territories where you want them but not take forever. How about on the first round you can choose to swap territories 1 time with another player. For example you already have 2 territories in South America, Brazil and Peru, and you use your first round switch to move your 3 troops from Japan and swap it with player 2's troops in Argentina. Player 2 could switch it back with his turn or choose another swap. This would help the player who goes last the most but that's good because going last is a disadvantage in round 2.

And for getting more troops where you want them in the beginning you can also do a fortification in the first round. But no attacks. Just 1 swap, then fortification (adjacent, chained or unlimited) and then end turn.

I know that this isn't exactly what you want but what you want doesn't really work that well online. 
skarni wrote:
That's really inteesting Vexer. That would also balance games where 1 player has a very good start (for example owning the 4 in Australia) as people would swap and dismantle his troops.

matty i see that trouble of time with the st-up, maybe we could let this only for live games (and no big maps also).

MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I used to play like skarni says; I thought it would be very difficult to implement, so I never suggested it, but maybe it's posible in live games.

Anyway, Vexer's idea is quite interesting.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Vexer wrote:
My problem is that I have more ideas than I have time to implement. We really could use some more volunteer programmers.
skarni wrote:
I would love to help Vexer but my programming knowledge is 0

:-(